CDMA vs GSM

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quasar, Oct 28, 2004.

1. quasar

quasar New Member

which is better from a coverage and reception standpoint?

2. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

globally, GSM has more coverage. In the U.S., it depends. I have been with T-Mobile eversince it was voicestream and its been perfect everywhere I have been.

3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

please elaborate on "everywhere i've been"... :)

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I went from AT&T CDMA/TDMA to AT&T GSM and coverage within AT&T network has been the same. coverage while roaming, however, has been drastically improved.

I've traveled all over the west coast and around texas.

5. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

Man, I just woke up from a nap and now I have to elaborate?!?! LOL.... TX, Louisiana, OK,NM, CO, LAX (and parts of LA)....I drove up to Boulder and lost signal for about 35 minute stretch of road and it picked right now soon after. :)

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Nope. OT Supporter

GSM is better coverage, especially if you don't live a major urban area.....
    CDMA is fine if you live in the city. I'm in LA and Sprint never gives me any trouble at all.

But man the call quality on GSM is far worse compaired to CDMA, GSM sounds like a tin can next to a CDMA carrier.

7. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

never had any problems with GSM sound quality except when my phone crapped out on me. new phone solved the problem.

8. skooter

skooter Guest

I have been with Sprint CDMA for 4 years now, i live in the Detroit area and have never had a problem with service, i have traveled to FL, NY, IL, NV, OH, even across into Canada and i have had perfect reception in all areas. A few of my friends have GSM and it does sound like they are in a tin can even when i talk to them on a land line. We have tested the speed of our phones in time it takes to ring when called from a land line and a cell line, CDMA seems to be about 2 or 3 seconds faster for both.

9. TommyBoiSxty9

TommyBoiSxty9 here, but I'm really gone

I was on Cellular One (TDMA) which then became Cingular (still TDMA) for five years - mainly because they were one of the few back in the day that had coverage in theboonies where i lived w/out being rediculously expensive and roaming (this was back when all they had were local plans and diff counties would roam)

I still had excellent coverage in the boonies in western NY, PA, etc. up until they switched over to GSM. Had to switch because there was no GSM coverage where i worked, barely where i lived, and none where my mom lived. GSM is more a City technology while you have to revert back to analog or digital TDMA/CDMA to get good coverage when you aren't along major highways or metro areas.

I swiwtched to Verizon (can you hear me now?) and have excellent coverage all over - in buildings, in boonies, etc. etc. I have a few dropped calls because I have the Digital Only phone that doesn't have the capability to switch to analog.

I have friends w/ T-Mobilel (GSM) and they get so many dropped calls and shitty serviece around here (Buffalo, NY) One moved to Philly and is fine, but if your in a smaller city, be careful.