cdma, unlocked, alltel, ebay I HAVE QUESTIONS!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by emerican, Oct 11, 2006.

1. emerican

emerican New Member

so i need a new phone...but dont want to switch carriers.

i have alltel, and it works fine for me.

so if i buy a phone off ebay, what am i looking for? i know that it has to be CDMA, as i was told, but what does that mean?

do i need to buy a phone that is "unlocked" as well, if its not an alltel phone?

2. nozoki

nozoki Hail to the king, baby.

In for answer. I need a new Alltel phone as well and want to make sure I get the right thing.

3. emerican

emerican New Member

i have a prepaid plan :o

my credit is shitty and i didnt want to pay a huge deposit...but this prepaid deal works fine for me....and to keep my number they want me to pay retail price on one of thier phones....screw that. im sure i can find a good phone on ebay for cheaper...just need some answers :hs:

4. Alenon12

Alenon12 Save the cheerleader....save the world

We'll here's what i can tell you as an alltel employee. First it depends on the brand of phone and where you get it from, the CDMA carriers other than us i believe are verizon and cingular. If the phone you purchase is from one of those carriers, we will have to flash the phone with the alltel software in order for it to work as an alltel phone.

Now depending on the brand of the phone we need a SPC code to flash and/or program the phone, this code is universal or searchable as long as its an alltel phone, so if its not an alltel phone, we either need the SPC code from the current owner of the phone (they could find out from whichever company has the software installed) or it has to be a phone which has a universal SPC or not required SPC code.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Nope. OT Supporter

Oh jesus. Edited. AND no, you can't get another carriers to work on Alltel's service. Because with CDMA the network identification code (ESN) of the phone is hardwired into the phone and cannot be changed - and it has to match one that's listed in the carriers' database. GSM suffers from this as well - but you can remove the network ID code (A sim card) and pop it into another GSM phone.

Lastly, there is NO SUCH THING as a unlocked CDMA phone.

6. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Well, there is, sort of. Its just something different, you can buy a non-activated phone off of ebay etc, which when it comes will be just a plain old phone.

Then, when it comes you talk to alltel, say you bought a new phone elsewhere, and you need to activate it.

Go to www.howardforums.com

They will help you. Scroll down to the Alltel section