CD Used Vehicle Review: 1994-1996 LT1 Chevrolet Impala SS

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Oct 7, 2005.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]

By Chris Chase
    October 6, 2005

Back in the heyday of the muscle car, Chevrolet's Impala ran with the best of them, offering the kind of big-cube muscle that performance enthusiasts wanted. The Impala nameplate became legendary, thanks in large part to the performance flagship "SS" variant, gaining a following that still exists today.

But when the muscle car era ended, so did the Impala nameplate, though the car's loyal followers never forgot it. Chevrolet didn't either, and in 2000 brought the name back to serve as the name for an all-new family full-size sedan to replace the Lumina. While it is a competent car, this front-wheel-drive, V6-powered sedan just couldn't come close to living up to the legend behind its name.

However, there was another car, sold in the mid-nineties, that bore Impala SS badging and was worthy of it.

In 1994, Chevrolet decided the Impala name had gone unused for too long. According to the Impala SS Club of America, Chevy took a Caprice Classic and painted it black, fitted it with sharp-looking 17-inch wheels with wide tires, four-wheel disc brakes, suspension lifted from the Caprice law-enforcement package and a limited-slip differential and voila! The Impala SS was reborn, and for the first time as a four-door sedan. The Impala SS was powered by the same LT1 V8 displacing 5.7 litres and putting 260 horsepower and 330 lb.-ft. of torque down through a four-speed automatic transmission.

For 1994, all cars were black. The only change for 1995 was the addition of Dark Cherry Metallic and Dark Grey-Green Metallic paint colours to the option sheet.

The ISSCA calls 1996 the best year for the Impala SS. For this year, the shifter was moved from the steering column to the console and the dash got a new gauge cluster with a tachometer in place of fuel pressure and voltage gauges. While the Impala was built until December of 1996 - well into what normally would have been considered the 1997 model year - the cars were all sold as '96 models. At the end of 1996, Chevy decided to drop the Caprice and its B-Body buddies, taking the Impala SS with it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So what do you get if you buy one of these cars? Well, if you haven't figured it out yet, you get a huge rear-wheel-drive sedan with a potent and well-proven engine that basically amounts to a guilty pleasure on wheels for drivers who like torque. And considering the potential the engine possesses, fuel consumption is quite reasonable for a big car: 14 L/100 km in the city and 8.6 L/100 km on the highway. Of course, driven the way it was meant to be handled, the SS will drink far more fuel than that, but the Impala's rating is very close to that of many modern mid-sized V6-powered SUVs.

Reliability here is tough to gauge. First of all, Consumer Reports doesn't cover vehicles older than 1997. Second, the Impala's basic running gear comes from a different era of the automobile and is hard to compare to many newer models. Consider this, however: most of the people who own these cars are bound to be proud of them, at least more so than the average sedan owner, so it's safe to assume that most will have been very well cared for and many will not have been exposed to Canadian winters; a powerful rear-wheel-drive car just doesn't make a lot of sense in a January snowstorm, and again, most owners wouldn't want to risk rust or accident damaged caused by winter road conditions.

Neither the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration nor the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety have crash test data for this generation of Impala, but the car's substantial heft and tough body-on-frame construction has to count for something. Anti-lock brakes and dual front airbags were standard equipment on all cars.

When new, an Impala SS sold for right around $30,000 (a little less for 95s, and slightly more for 96s) but today, Canadian Red Book values a 1995 model at $7,750 and a 1996 at $9,475. The SS was more expensive than a Camaro Z28 of the day, and the same remains true on the used market. Not everyone gets the concept behind these cars, but sellers who do know what they have (and the vast majority do) will not likely be willing to let these cars go for cheap, nor will they necessarily sell to just anyone; they may wait for the right buyer to come along - someone the seller thinks will appreciate the car for more than just a burnout machine. It's possible these cars could appreciate in value over the years too thanks to their rarity, especially in the case of all-original examples, so if you're looking for one of these muscle cars, stick to unmolested examples that haven't been damaged or tinkered with too much.

Some may argue that these cars are pure extravagance in these days of expensive gas and global warming and it's true that few really need a large V8 powered sedan. But there's a real allure to a car that recalls the glory days of the muscle car and no one can really blame you for wanting to own a little piece of automotive history.

[​IMG]

2. TriShield

This one goes out to 2DR Vette, and other four-door muscle car lovers out there.

3. AndyB

AndyB I love you baby Kaitlyn and Dad

ImpalaSS crew holla :wavey:

4. mucky

mucky .

Someone tell me how did that turn into this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:wtc:

5. AndyB

and they did not sell for just under $30k

6. mucky

mucky .

$23k back in 1996 for that was CHEAP!

7. mucky

mucky .

:hsugh:

I'll let someone else say it....

8. Pogi

Pogi Official Pointy Boot Guey Ver 1.0

Its my guitly pleasure to have one of those, tinted out, fully built engine with big ass chrome wheels.

9. TriShield

This is even worse.

[​IMG]

It's as round as a big fat woman, and it can't sing either. :wtc:

10. AndyB

:rofl: fuck I just realized it

11. mucky

mucky .

1996 MY > all other Impala SS

Floor shifter + analog instruments = WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. AndyB

13. mucky

mucky .

There's always at least one sucker in these Canadian car review threads. :mamoru:

14. AndyB

Negative my 383 LT4 6-speed B-body > 96 Impala SS

15. AndyB

I have a floor shifter and analog guages in my 95 :eek3 Z28 cluster FTW

16. mucky

mucky .

:eek5:

Pics? :x:

17. mucky

mucky .

No stock, no care. :run:

18. Fishbone Walker

Fishbone Walker Fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas wi

14 L/100 km in the city and 8.6 L/100 km

good lord, even if you are down with the metric system, that is an awful way to put that statistic. REDUCE!

19. AndyB

Old pic but whatever

[​IMG]

20. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

Uh, hello? A 1996 Impala SS was my first car.

21. nbkny17

nbkny17 New Member

95's were technically the faster year due to then not have obdII. I've got a 95 DCM. Easiest way to spot a 94 was the mirrors were mounted on the door and in 95 and 96 they were mounted higher up by the A post.

22. AndyB

Don't forget the 94's had the square doom light and two hoses hoses going tot he overflow tank ;)

95's had the better cam, 96 had the better heads but smaller cam.

23. nbkny17

nbkny17 New Member

Andyb was that a 9c1?

24. TriShield

This explains your appreciation for fine handling and steering feel. You know what it's like to be without it. :o

25. thrlride

thrlride NO MA'AM

GM had it right in 94-96 then went way wrong with the latest two. At least you can get a v8 again.