CD Receiver + Cassette Receiver?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jsiu, Nov 4, 2004.

1. jsiu

jsiu New Member

Hi, my car originally came with a factory double-DIN headunit, but that was replaced about two years ago with a Sony CD receiver (my siblings bought it for me for Christmas). I've been looking to get a new receiver, but I'd also like one with a cassette slot so that I can play songs on my Dell DJ as well (if anyone knows of an alternative other than using a cassette adapter, please let me know). So, here are my options at the moment:

1) Go with a double-DIN headunit
    2) Go with two single-DIN headunits (one CD, one cassette)
    3) Forget the cassette receiver altogether, and just go with a CD receiver.

I've looked at the available brands and models for option 1 and have not been happy with any of them. Option 3 would just put me back where I currently am, but with a nicer CD receiver.

So, as you can tell, I'm sort of leaning towards option 2, but I have a few questions regarding it.

1) Is it possible or feasible to go with two single-DIN receivers?
    2) I'd like the CD receiver to also be the AM/FM unit. Since every cassette receiver also has built-in AM/FM capabilities, will this affect the CD receiver in any way?

Again, the cassette receiver would only be used to play songs on my MP3 player. If you can perhaps think of any other possibilities, please feel free to suggest them. Thanks in advance.

2. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

Why don't you use the Mp3 player's headphone out port to hook it up.

Just get a mini plug to RCA adapter and plug it into the HU's Auxillary input and viola

3. jsiu

jsiu New Member

I wasn't aware that this was an available option. Do all headunits have auxillary inputs or only aftermarket ones? Also, could I find a miniplug-to-RCA adapter at a local radio shack? Thanks for the tip.

4. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

alot of receivers have an aux in jack on the front too so you don't even need a mini to RCA adaptor and it's much more convenient.

Here's my deck:
    [​IMG]

it already plays MP3's, but you can just plug and external player up to the jack on the right

5. jsiu

jsiu New Member

Thanks for the heads up. Don't some receivers have an optional auxilary input for external MD, CD, MP3 players? (i.e. an optional unit that you attach to the receiver so it can accept auxilary sources)