CD-R Drive/Disc issue...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NolanTA, Jan 11, 2004.

1. NolanTA

NolanTA You talkin' to me? OT Supporter

I had an MSI CD-R drive, and some silver no-name brand discs.. I started to have issues with the drive not recognizing the media as new, blank media...

I did some looking around, and ordered the highly recommended Lite-On CD-R from Newegg.. it seemed to work okay, but today I go to burn some discs, and it fails to recognize some of the media. Not knowing what the deal is, I first replace the cable from motherboard IDE to drive, and confirm jumper settings on it and my DVD-ROM drive, all good.

After the cable swap, I burn the 2 discs I needed to.. and leave it at that.. well, I come back later to do some more, and now it is failing to recognize the discs again.

The media I am using is some I bought off of ebay, but I've bought previous batches from this guy with no issues. I thought it might be an issue with those, until this next thing happened. The free disc that came with the drive, will sometimes read as a fine, blank disc.. then after I check some of the ebay media, the free one that was fine 2 minutes ago comes back as invalid..

Nero says "No disc inserted or drive not ready, please try again".. This is what it did with the old drive.. I've reformatted/reinstalled trying to make this go away.. I updated bios, no firmware updates are available.. updated the via 4in1 drivers.. can't figure this out...

Any ideas? :rant2:

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

The problem is the crappy media

I bought a spindle of 100 of crap like that, about 75 of them burned ok
    the rest eithere crapped out before, during or after (during the varify) the burn

Get real CDRs. Imation are great, OfficeDepot's house brand are the exact same thing as Imation.
    TDK, Memorix, Verbatim are all good too.

Stay Away From No Name Crap A** CDRs

//edit
    I can't believe you did everything you can thing of to fix this before reformatting BUT you didn't try better CDRs

"Hmmm...gee I've done everything possible to get this thing to read some no name crap and it still doesn't work...what should I do?"
    What do you think!
    And I don't care if you didn't have any problems before, try it anyway

Reasons to use name brand, store bought CDRs:
    * If you have any problems, find a broken one, whatever, you can return it.
    * If you have problems getting tem to burn, you can b*tch to the maker
    * BestBuy, Circuit City and the alike will usually have in-store and mail-in rebates on CDRs every week....take advange of the rebate, it's well worth it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
  3. NolanTA

NolanTA You talkin' to me? OT Supporter

Update:

I was thinking it was the media as well. The guy I buy the from is from my home town, so I'm not really worried about returning them or getting credit for any we can both agree on as being bad...

UNTIL.

I had just emailed the seller about the problems, when as a last ditch effort, I went and did another round of updates. I downloaded the latest updates from nero. One of those suggested I update DirectX... I did the 9b Directx update, installed the last of the 4 Nero updates... and everything is fine again.

Every disc I've checked so far reads fine. I think it was a Windows problem the whole time as I had the disc problems in Windows Media Player as well as Nero before these updates... so...

Final note, pretty sure it was DirectX.

:dunno:

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Well Id' be really surprised DirectX had anything to do with it, since DirectX's main focus is on the graphics display not whether or not Nero or WMP can read the disc and detect if there is one to burn to or not.