CD exploding

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by iSnipeCattle, Dec 11, 2009.

1. iSnipeCattle

iSnipeCattle OT Supporter

I was polishing up an old CD, trying to get it to work. It had a little crack on the side, but I tried to run it regardless.

I popped it in the drive, and went to mycomputer. as it started spinning... I hear a sound similar to a gun shot. The cd in my cd drive exploded! The drive wouldn't open up after that. That was frustrating to clean up! Almost had to dissemble my whole computer to effectively clean it all up.

Is this because of the CD, or my drive?
    Just wondering. :rolleyes:

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

both!?!

[y]F6avp29GqXo[/y]

3. iSnipeCattle

iSnipeCattle OT Supporter

Highly highly unlikely?
    YEA RIGHT! :hsugh:

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I've dealt with this a ton of times back when I worked in a computer store, it was usually the disc that was the problem. It was usually the game CD's that used to come on the front of cereal boxes.
    I don't know how many people tried to get warranty on it, they were all denied.

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

so you're saying cd's exploded in your drive plenty of times???

6. 7960

7960 New Member

The reason the max speed for cd drives is 52x is because at not much faster than that, even a perfectly health cd will explode.

You say it had a crack... that's why it exploded.

7. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

We got dozens of those when I worked at Gateway. We usually gave them warranty service.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

no they didn't.

given its materials, there is a maximum speed the disk can spin at before it explodes. if you want to spin it faster you'd have to make it out of something different. the demonstration went into a little bit of detail about the cost/benefit of making the disks out of something else so they could spin it faster, and showed it wasn't worth the cost.

9. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Asside from that, I remember people saying the Kenwood 72x drive (~2000-2001 launch) could have this problem. In fact, the Kenwood used multiple lasers to read at the same time (allowing more information at once). I'm not sure if newer ones still use multiple lasers (haven't opened one in a long while).

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I think people just gave up on ever having disc drives read faster than they do now. I mean really, when I can buy a 16GB memory card with no latency at all for 20 bucks, who gives a shit about lowering latency on a disc drive? The only thing anyone uses discs for anymore is installs, backups, and movies, none of which need to happen the instant you click the mouse.

11. datamonger128

datamonger128 New Member

This happened to me with an Xbox once. The disc was completely lost obviously, but the Xbox still worked flawlessly. I remember there was a little plume of silver flakes that came from the console too.

12. jay59

jay59 New Member

I was ripping a cd from a local band and it exploded. I attribute it to a cheap ass CD. Bought a new burner instead of dealing with all the little bits and peices.