cd-drive can't read certain recordable discs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by diazfordork, Aug 9, 2005.

1. diazfordork

diazfordork slhore...*raise hand!*

how come my cd-drive can't read certain recordable discs (especially ones that have a lot of stuff on them)?

these same discs work perfectly fine on other computers, but it's really frustrating because all my cddrive does is read and spins and reads but to no avail... please help me with this dilemma!

2. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Won't play in a CD player (i.e. home stereo) or a CDROM?

Some problems will arise if the CD is multisession, not closed after burning, has over ~650 MB burned to a disc, or bad burns, incompatible media, etc.

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Is it an old CD Rom by chance? Some of the (really) old ones had issues with CDRs.

4. diazfordork

diazfordork slhore...*raise hand!*

i don't know if the problem is that it's really old - my laptop is not *too* old, (2-3 years).

but yes - recorded discs bigger than 650MB have a hard time being read on my cd - drive, is there ANY way i can fix that? how come it can be easily read on other computers and not mine?

5. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

If the discs read fine in a number of other computers, it would logically have to be a hardware problem specific to yours. Most likely culprit is a weak laser, due either to design or age. Not much way to deal with that except to get a new drive.

A standard slim drive will work; you don't need a brand specific one. They are all the same underneath the plastic and the proprietary connectors. With some excessively stylish machines the faceplate may not fit or need trimming, though.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Sounds like it doesn't like overburns for some reason. Your best bet is to get on google and try to track down the make and model of the drive, and see if maybe there is a know issue. Hopefully if there is, there is a firmware fix for it.

For that matter, are you by chance forcing 700mb onto a 650mb CDR? Does different media do it or is it just the one brand you are using that is causing a problem?

7. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Hmm, that's a good question. Is it only overburns (>650MB on the disc) or also discs that are nearly full, say with ~600MB of data on them? Some drives don't like to read, or write for that matter, overburns since that extra data gets written to places the laser isn't really supposed to go.