CD Changer Installation

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RoblesGT, Apr 11, 2007.

1. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

I just got a cd changer that uses an FM frequency to broadcast through the headunit in the car. It has an RC plug that turns into the antenna. Can I just run an RC cable from the changer into one of the AUX Inputs on the head unit ?? Wouldnt this be better than using the FM Broadcasting ??

2. Create

Create :free at last:

Every single FM broadcast I've ever heard has massive quality loss. Regular FM technology isn't up to the task anyhow. I'm not sure about the newer HD Radio's specs. They may provide the freq range and increased SQ.

I'd consider Y'ing the CD output into the FM tuner input (along with the regular antenna) once you've found a suitable freq, and if I could assure no possibility of a short.

I'd think most of these would have some sort of cable accessory. Make/model?

3. RoblesGT

Sony CDX-454RF

it came with a cable accessory, yes, RC Plug connects to Changer .. goes into some small box that converts into antenna cable which plugs into Car Antenna.

I'm figuring I can simply run the RC Plug into the Auxilary input. Seems like the plug itself is taking Stereo so I can Y it like you said and split it up to run it directly into the head unit instead of FM crap

4. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

plug that bitch into the aux, will work for sure

5. Create

Create :free at last:

The crap thing about this changer is that the only output is the RF (AFAI can tell). That means the only output likely only uses the FM freq range, very limited compared to CD.

The output needs to be run through an FM tuner. Y it into the FM tuner input, then turn the CD changer's output level all the way down. Fire it up, then slowly step up the output volume until it's comparable with other stations.

You should eBay this and buy one with at least an RCA out.

6. RoblesGT

meh, i plugged it through the FM thing and it sounds fine

i'm not a music geek so i cant really detect excellent or good quality so its fine for me, :mamoru:

i only paid 100 for it, i doubt i can find a 10 disc changer for less than that, :hsugh: