GUN CCW'er pops cap in ass of 1 of 3 teens robbing grocery store

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jul 5, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man Shoots Robber, Robber Checks Into Hospital

POSTED: 12:21 pm CDT July 4, 2007
    Email This Story | Print This Story
    FORT WORTH -- Police said three suspects wearing yellow bandanas robbed customers and cashiers in an Albertson's grocery store in southwest Fort Worth around 11:30 Tuesday night.

The husband of an employee was waiting in the parking lot for her when another employee called him from inside the store to tell him the store was being robbed.

The husband entered the store with a handgun and confronted one of the robbers, witnesses said. The suspect allegedly pointed his gun at the husband and the husband opened fire.

Police said the husband had a concealed handgun permit.

All three suspects fled the scene. The said he husband followed them, still shooting as they ran into the parking lot and into a field behind the building.

The husband said he was certain he his one of the robbers. Investigators are comparing shell casings to determine if the suspects returned fire.

No one else was injured.

About 90 minutes after the incident, a boy with a gunshot wound to his buttocks entered the emergency room at Hugely Hospital in south Fort Worth.

Investigators said he fit the description of one of the robbery suspects, but they still need to interview him to be certain and before they can make an arrest.

MedStar transported the boy from Hugely to JPS Health Network where he was under police guard as a suspect. Police said he will be charged when he leaves the hospital.

The injured suspect was identified as 17-year-old Raysun Johnson. He was shot in the buttocks and the foot.

Officers said they found what they think is one of the robber's guns in a field behind the store. Police are still looking for the other two suspects.

Police said no charges are expected against the husband of the employee.

Copyright 2007 by nbc5i.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Holy crap, chasing people outside and shooting at them yet no charges? This story must not be telling the whole story.

3. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

:Texas:

4. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I like that title better.:cool:

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Seems reasonable if they were shooting at him which sounds like is a possibility.

People with handguns just make situations worse, just give the robbers what they want and maybe you won't be killed. Why wouldn't you trust the guy who is robbing you to be nice? :rofl:

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Who wants to play guess the color? :rofl:

7. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I was always taught that when your attacker retreats you can't pursue them (in VA if I chased them I would become the instigator from that point) or shoot them in the back as they running away from you.

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Some states do the if the threat is over you cannot go on the offensive and logically for most people you would want to put yourself and no more undue danger. However if the robbers where shooting while running away than the confrontation was not over and it was not a retreat.

9. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

That is perfectly legal in Texas.

And what difference does it make it the guy who just pulled a gun on you is fleeing? He's still a criminal... he still may turn around and shoot at you... how are you going to know?

10. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Texas is hardcore.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If someone is running away and is shooting at you I'd say they're still a threat. If they're just running away and no longer a threat to you, most states would not be ok with you shooting. Someone can be running away and still a threat though.

12. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

And just because the guy might not have been a threat to you, he's still a very strong threat to anyone else who might be around - someone with a car that he wants or bystanders in the way, etc...

13. smartypants

smartypants New Member

You can shoot someone in the back - as long as their weapon is facing you.
    As a general rule, the three elements of Ability, opportunity, and jeopardy must be in place to justify use of deadly force.
    Good for him.
    needs more range time though.

14. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Where'd that come from? Doesn't matter which direction his gun is facing, he's still a threat.

15. smartypants

smartypants New Member

* referred to my departmental regs - some jurisdictions are shootier than others.

16. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

17. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

departemental regs do not apply to non-officers/civilians

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

how would your dept regulations apply to a civilian?

19. smartypants

smartypants New Member

With few exceptions, Police guidelines regarding use of force are no different than local criminal code regarding civilians - that is the government has no monopoly on the use of force.
    Check your state law, but it would be difficult to posit that a fleeing defendant posed a risk to yourself or others.
    You're generally going to use deadly force to protect yourself or others from death or bodily harm, to prevent the escape of a fleeing felon, or to prevent the active commission of a forcible felony.
    A guy running from a crime scene isn't necessarily a felon - he hasn't been adjudicated yet.
    I wouldn't shoot someone who wasn't pointing a weapon at me - but I would definitely be prepared to in case he did.
    This guy could be charged with a crime, but he probably won't be. Following and shooting like he did would fail the ability / opportunity / jeopardy test.
    BTW - I support what he did - I just wouldn't recommend it.

20. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

I endorse the content of this post.

21. Shingmaster

Shingmaster omgOTbangaz4life

:rofl::rofl: