GUN CCW stops attack

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Mar 7, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007703050350

death averted
    # Passer-by uses gun to halt attack

By Nicklaus Lovelady
    [email protected]

Brian Albert Broom/The Clarion-Ledger

As customers watched in horror Sunday afternoon, a man stabbed a woman and attempted to set her on fire in the parking lot of a Jackson store, witnesses said.

The attack was stopped by a passer-by, who held the man at gunpoint until police arrived, witnesses said.

The suspect, Henry Watson, 42, was arrested and is expected to face aggravated assault charges, Jackson Police Department Cmdr. Lee Vance said. Watson's wife, Gracie Watson, 42, was transported to the University of Mississippi Medical center, where she was listed in good condition.

"It wasn't five minutes from when she had left my line when I heard a scream outside," said Theresa Stuckey, a cashier at the Family Dollar at 516 Nakoma Drive in Jackson. "I looked out, and (the attacker) was on top of her stabbing her, and stabbing her and stabbing her.

"She was screaming, 'Help, he's trying to kill me!' She was rolling on the ground, trying to get out of the way, but he kept stabbing her. He stabbed her about 20 times in the neck, back and arms."

As the attack continued, people were yelling at the man to stop and honking their horns, Stuckey said. She said she called 911.

"He was just standing over her hacking away," said Dolly Baker, who had just left the Save-A-Lot store next door when she saw the attack.

Baker said she watched the man pour gasoline on the victim then try to strike a match.

"He was literally trying to kill that lady in broad daylight," she said.

Baker said a passer-by stopped the attack.

"He told the man, 'Stop, or I'm going to shoot. And if you run, I'm going to kill you,' " Baker said.

The man held Watson at bay until police arrived at the scene.

"Right now, all we know is that (Watson) attacked his wife. For what reason, we don't know," Jackson Police Department Sgt. Eric Smith said.

Police said they are looking for the passer-by who stopped the attack and would like to talk to him but don't know who he is or where he went.

The incident occurred about 3:50 p.m.

Smith said he did not know exactly how many times Gracie Watson was stabbed but said it was more than 10 times.

2. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

wtf? he held the dude till the cops got there, then vanished? :rofl:

3. Sarge21

and fuck all those other people who just stood by and watched :mad:

4. striker754

striker754 Chillin

if you run im going to kill you

:bowdown:

5. Sarge21

:nono: quick way to lose your license/end up in jail. He shoulda shot him while stabbing was in progress. But that would be a difficult shot.

6. striker754

striker754 Chillin

In shitbox Florida maybe. Of course you guys have waiting periods too. :mamoru:

Colorado allows you to use reasonable physical force, including deadly physical force to stop commission and flight from crimes against self and others.

Thanks but using a gun against a knife is definately reasonable. Knives fuck people up.

7. Sarge21

here if FL, i could shoot him during the act, but if he got up and started to flee, the threat is no longer there, and i couldnt shoot him.

8. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

What a nice portrayal of how the anti-gunners would like you to react and just how fucking ineffective it is. "Make a big scene with lots of people and draw attention by making noise." I wonder how many fucktards were thinking, "Hmm, I'm honking my hown and yelling for him to stop but he just keeps stabbing the lady, I wish there was something else I could do."

9. Aequitas

:rofl: You think one of the first things they would have done was secure his weapon and hold him for questioning. Kudos to the guy if he wasn't legally allowed to carry though and still saved the day.

10. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Fucking assholes, what the fuck does honking your horn do? I mean...there is a line between saving your own ass and going out trying to be a cowboy. I don't think this is a grey area, if you see someone being stabbed you better not be a pussy and help out.

DISCLAIMER: Although, I think he did the right thing not killing the guy, not knowing the situation.

11. Sarge21

DOT

12. striker754

striker754 Chillin

so what you are tellin me is that CO > FL right? :fawk:

13. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I've spoken with 3 people (women) about this and they all said "Well how could you stop the guy? He had a knife!" My god this country is going to shit.

14. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

fucking hell, at the very least, run the fucker over. I think america is turning into a nation of pussies :rant2:

15. t1h

t1h Guest

was he legally CCW? maybe thats why he didn't stay around to talk to the police

16. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

This thread makes me feel :eek5:

17. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Even if I didn't have a gun (damn you georgia, hurry up!) I would have probably grabbed a tire iron or similar out of my jeep if I could.

He should have shot him, now he can plead insanity, get off, darwinism needs to be more efficent

18. Aequitas

The thing with pleading insanity is that it rarely ever works as a successful defense and when it does the person typically spends longer in custody than they would have if they stood trial.

From the article it sounds like insanity would be a hard thing to argue. He had to bring the knife to attack her with as well as the gasoline and the matches. Seems like mens rea was definitely there.

19. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

How exactly do the cops pull onto the scene of an armed man holding another unarmed man at gunpoint and somehow manage to let him get away? Seems to me they would probably be all over both men, at least until they figured out the whole situation.

20. johan

johan Active Member

Good idea for the CCW holder to get lost. I'd have done the same thing.

Even if he was carrying legally, spending several hours being 'interviewed' by police is not my idea of a good time.

Plus even if it was carrying legally, and even if the papers showed him as a 'hero', they'd publish his name at least, removing the C in CCW.