GUN CCW scenarios disturb me

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SpicyMcVoodoo, Sep 16, 2005.

1. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Here's why...

If you personally are going to be attacked, then by the time you realize it, the guy will probably be too close for you to safely pull out your gun.

Can you tell in your "gut" when you're in danger and someone is giving you a funny look? Can you "tell" the scroungy guy walking up to you asking for money at night might have an ulterior motive? Yes, but can you hold a man at gunpoint based on your "gut"? Probably not, I would think.

That being the case, it seems to me that in order to be able to detect danger such that it reasonably warrants pulling out a gun, you'd have to wait until the criminal is all up on you and it's too late.

What am I missing?

I mean, I realize there are plenty of situations where you'd have plenty of time, but most of those are situations where you're not dealing with a hardened criminal determined to rob/kill you. If someone is giving you notice that they're going to kick your ass, then they're jerkoffs who are not serious career criminals. It's probably some drunken idiot who wants to get into a fight or something.

2. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

I think it all boils down to training and your level of situational awarness. If you let a guy get that close to you, and hes suspicious. Its your fault. Tell the scroungy looking man to stop, dont come any closer, then ask what he wants. The whole time, your hand could be on the butt of your gun inconspicuously. Its all about how you handle the situation I suppose. If you do find yourself in a situation where the criminal is upon you before you can draw, then some hand-to-hand combat courses would be good experince to have. I know that I can call upon my experinece and training with hand to hand and bladed combat, should the situation arise. Just be aware. :eek3d:

3. chris5vx

chris5vx New Member

Well from most of the stories I've read of people having to pull their gun, they either know something bad is coming and can discreetly pull and keep it concealed behind them or to the side of the leg and have it ready if they need If you're taken by surprise it even then seems like other person with the gun had no real intention of firing it, just intimidation. You'll have yours out and aimed before they'll have any idea thats whats happening (if they figured you were packing they probably wouldn't have targeted you) and will be going in the other direction quite quickly. The show of force back is what ends the confrontation, not being quickdraw.

Ymmv, but I used to ask myself the same question and I think thats pretty much what I settled on.

4. Justin03R6

Justin03R6 New Member

BINGO!!

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Take defensive classes, I plan on it. Any responsible gun owner who carries should :hs:

Also you must consider, if you are encountered by a thug with a handgun and you both are drawn. Do you think he has had the adequate practice to be able to hit you on the first shot? The question answers itself. Yes, he could get you on the first shot, but more than likely you have the superior training through constant practice and understanding safety techniques.

It all comes down to training.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  6. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Up close, combative skills are more important than a fast draw. Your gun cannot be the only answer especially at ECQC range.

Never forget the 4 survival principles and keep them in the proper order.
    1. MINDSET
    2. Tactics
    3. skill
    4. gear

7. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

You don't need a whole lot of training to hit the target inside of 5 feet. :dunno:

8. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Bullshit.

9. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

You'd be supprised.

10. CLOT

CLOT OT Supporter

that's why you shoot first, ask questions later

11. CLOT

CLOT OT Supporter

12. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

[QFT]

Those were the exact words my Haganah (F.I.G.H.T.) instructor used the other day when talking about armed vs unarmed self defense. Couldnt be closer to the truth.

13. SlowNegative

SlowNegative Her name is Rio

You realize you can use your CCW to protect someone else's life that's in imminent danger as well?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  14. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Your first weapon isn't the gun, or a knife. It's your brain. If you are going to get a CCW, then you should at least take courses to utilize your tools.

15. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

Please take a good class.

16. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

when adrenaline is high in a life or death situation, your training takes over and your actions become instinct.

17. i_is_surf

i_is_surf New Member

I agree, you don't need a whole lot of training to hit a target center mass at <5 feet. We did it numerous times at FLETC. Not one person had any trouble hitting the target, people just had to adjust their cant to hit center mass. Anyone with enough brains to pull a trigger can draw and hit the target SOMEWHERE.

I also agree that if you are that close you shouldn't be pulling a gun anyways...

Krav Maga>*

18. sparq

sparq New Member

I was gonna say this is why you shoot first... and carry around a "dummy" pistol to toss at the persons feet before the cops come :naughty:

"he was coming at me with a gun officer"