GUN CCW scenario...discuss??

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Guvnor, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

OK...say you take your weapon into a place that has signs saying "No firearms allowed". Either you didn't see it OR you said what the hell...concealed means concealed..no one will know. Just so happen, this is the time of all the years of carrying, you have to use it. Joe Thug and the gang decides to rob the place and threaten you, which will cause you to react. Do you

1. Leave your gun where it is cause you should not have it where you are?
    2. Pull it and kill off Joe and the boys?

If you choose #2, what do you think would happen to you after it's all over....jail time?

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I would summon bahamut, I mean yar.

3. First, carrying into places where there are signs posted has to be addressed. Some states it's illegal to carry into those places. Other states don't make it illegal, and if you get caught carrying you will just be asked to leave. I have no problem carrying into places where there are signs against it, as long as it's not illegal.

Also, just because you pull your gun, you don't necessarily have to shoot someone with it. Say you pull it and the guys take off running. There's no reason to shoot, and you got what you wanted without having to shoot.

It's hard to ask a question like you have asked because there are SO many variables and it's really impossible to give a concrete answer.

4. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

Thanks for the input.

5. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

I've always been told not to pull it, if I don't intend on using it.

6. Correct, and fire it if you have to, but if simply pulling it effects the result you are looking for then you're lucky and there's no need to fire it.

7. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

Probably varies state to state and whether or not it ends up as a good shoot.

8. john in jax

john in jax New Member

Things would have to be real bad for me to pull/use my CCW . . . so bad that any potential legal hassles/ramifications would be worth dealing with.

FL law and the literature they send all CWL's strongly emphasizes that you can ONLY use your CCW to:
    1) prevent serious bodily injury or death
    2) stop a forcible felony.

Any other use of your CCW is likely to get you in a lot of trouble.

I usually don't patronize/go where they have signs saying "NO LOADED FIREARMS" or where guns are not allowed.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

MG was the gentleman and you ignored the important part of what he said, but he's 100% right. People post questions about scenarios they've dreamed up all the time. Its great you're thinking about carry and real world consequences but you need to do some research. No one can tell you what would happen because the laws are different in each state. Find out what such a sign might mean where you'll be carrying and then you'll know. Go read the laws of your state and don't trust what some douche like me on a forum says because they're wrong a lot.

10. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

I've been carrying ccw for 4 yrs, so I am well versed on research. I am bored today at work and was looking for an intelligent discussion...that is all. I realize laws vary, but all i'm looking for here is what do you think would happen.

11. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

This isn't the movies...if you try to be a hero, you'll most likely end up seriously injured or dead. Call the police and let them do their job.

12. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Stop being a vigilante. Follow the gangbangers instructions carefully.

13. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

right, they'll be there as soon as they can. hope you enjoy the afterlife.

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The truth is that you should know the laws of where you can or cannot CCW (federal buildings, schools, etc)

For sake of discussion ... if I felt my life or the lives of my loved ones were being threatened and if it was a justified shoot I would stop the threat. People would say, damn those gang bangers fucked up big time. You guys would probably hear about it on the news.

As far as what they want to try to do in court that is a battle for another day if I live to see it.

15. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Better to be judged by 12 and all that jazz...

The only place I don't bring my pistol is into a post office or court room, etc. I don't feel like going to FPMITAP.

Anything else, fuck it. I'm not pulling my gun unless my life or my family's life is in immediate danger. I'd gladly spend the rest of my days in jail to stop some fuck face from killing my wife or kid.

16. Bloody Sunday

so, you wouldn't defend anyone else?

17. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

I am the same way. I would never defend a complete stranger unless I knew their whole background story and everything. You never know.

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Again you have to place it in the correct context. Here is a scenario that is pretty popular for discussion.

Say your in a liquor store and your in the back aisle buying some salty snacks to go with your beer. A robber comes in the store, does a quick scan and does not see you. He attempts to rob the clerk before you can make out what all the details of what causes the next events the clerk drops down behind the counter, the robber starts shooting over the counter. What do you do?

For sake of discussion you have 2 seconds to make a decision. What would your justification be for what you did.

I've already decided what I would do so I'll wait before I respond.

19. Bloody Sunday

wait for robber to get the cash, then draw my weapon and attempt to disarm or disable the criminal.

but with that scenario, there are a lot of variables as well. what if the criminal notices you or decides to just kill the clerk, that changes things.

i really don't know for certain what i would do.

20. antiabercrombie

antiabercrombie fuk u lemonardo OT Supporter

If the robber starts shooting, I think I'd open fire. Probably no warning.

21. Bloody Sunday

i think that as firearm owners/users we're held up to a higher standard, but that doesn't rule out the need for self-preservation. but i really think that we're considered sheep-dogs just like an undercover or off duty LEO would be if put in similar situations where drawing of your firearm would be necessary

22. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

That is my plan. I can't say what I will do until the time arises. I'm sure that will vary depending upon a number of different circumstances.

23. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Tell that to the county prosecutor who burns you and then to the family of the "good ole boy" who takes you for all you're worth because you were a cowboy trying to save a liquor store a few hundred bucks.

If I'm behind cover or concealment and the gun is not aimed at me I probably wouldn't fire until shots were fired. I'm not a fan of taking someone's life, nor spending hundreds of thousands in legal fees for something I thought was "right."

24. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Robber killed clerk in his first volley, remembers he did not check the place very well and looks to make sure there are no witnesses. He sees you. Because you hesitated to draw your gun he has the tactical advantage. You are now attempting to draw and go for cover and he is charging and shooting. You will most likely be dead like the clerk but if you survive at least any shooting done on your part will be justified.

25. Guvnor

Guvnor NYM3 and Me

I am not defending anyone other than my immediate family. Your problem...you handle it.