GUN CCW Question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Feb 16, 2005.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

If you don't have it, how do you go about transporting a handgun in your car? Or can you just not do that? I'd imagine you would have to be able to somewhow, but figured I'd ask.

2. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

In a LOCKED case in the TRUNK with the ammo atleat 3 feet from it. And I think it has to take atleast 3 steps for the firearm to contain a bullet. IE, Get ammo from glove box, open trunk, open case...yada yada yada.
    Or, just not get stopped.

3. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Depends on the state. Here you can have the loaded pistol in your glovebox or center console.

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Check to see if your state counts your vehicle as an extension of your home. LA does so I sometimes carry my handgun loaded in my truck.

5. g0dl355

g0dl355 New Member

CCW or not, when I drive to LA in a bout 2 weeks going loaded in the console

when I get to LA, I'll get a permit

6. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

In Colorado, you can have it loaded and within reach.
    But they did only change the law here a couple of years ago.

7. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Great site. Extremely informative, thanks. FYI, Michigan says you need to have it in a closed case in your trunk if you have one, and if not in the passanger compartment where its inaccessable to the occupants...unloaded in both cases. It says the gun has to be registered to the owner of the car who has to be driving it. So I'm assuming things get iffy once you start bringing it in a friends car or something. I would imagine if you have it locked and away from everyone or in the trunk most cops wouldn't be too upset even if they did run across it.

8. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

If you are traveling between states look into Peaceable Journey laws.

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

That's why I love northern Nevada. Up here we can carry it in the glove box/center console. Vegas/Boulder City rules are different than the rest of the state....

Nevada State Law is silent on motor vehicle carriage of firearms. Any law-abiding citizen may carry a handgun, loaded or unloaded, in their vehicle. Some cities like North Las Vegas and Boulder City have "Deadly Weapon" laws, and you may be cited or arrested if you pass through their jurisdictions with a gun in the vehicle.

For Example:
    Boulder City
    7-1-3: Discharging Firearms, Air Guns:
    No person except a sheriff, constable or police officer shall fire or discharge any firearms or air guns of any description within one thousand (1,000) yards of any building, street, sidewalk, alley, highway or other public place or have any firearms or air gun in his possession within one thousand (1,000) yards of any building, street, sidewalk, alley, highway or public place unless it is unloaded and knocked down or enclosed within a carrying case; provided, that this Section shall not prevent the maintenance and use of duly supervised rifle or pistol ranges or shooting galleries authorized by the City Council. This Section shall not prohibit the stocking of firearms by duly authorized dealers in the same.

North Las Vegas
    9.32.080 Deadly weapon prohibited in vehicle--Exceptions.
    It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession in any automobile, truck, motorcycle, or any other type of vehicle any dangerous or deadly weapon, but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation