GUN CCW on Greyhound bus?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by El Patrón, Nov 19, 2004.

1. El Patrón

El Patrón New Member

The only thing I have been able to find on their site is that you can't have a firearm in your carry on. I won't be travelling out of the state, so I don't have to worry about reciprocity at all, but I don't want to get stuck on my way back because I'm carrying. I know that there aren't any metal detectors or anything, but in the larger city they do have a guard that randomly searches carry on bags. Of course, it won't be in my carry on, it will be on my person, but I'm not sure if they wand people down at all. I can just imagine the scene if I got wanded and made - even though I am licensed and legally allowed to carry.

2. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Call and ask the company? Make sure to stress that you're licensed to carry a weapon.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

don't ask, just do it. if you ask, and some anti-gunner tells you no, you don't really know the rules. either way, if there's nothing posted, you're well within your rights as a permit-holder. it's not a public gathering, there's no alcohol, and there's no sign expressly telling you no. now, if they say "no weapons allowed on bus", then you might have a problem. you're carrying on your person, concealed. how would they ever know? as far as searches: if conducted by a police officer, i'd ask what probable cause there was. if it's not a police officer, you need to make sure you're not signing anything that gives them the authority to search your bags or especially your person.

4. El Patrón

El Patrón New Member

Yeah, I was going to call and ask, but their offices were closed. Also, Footrat has a good point, I'll probably just get some anti on the phone that will tell me wrong info. I was going to order the tickets online, but now I think I will stroll in there tomorrow and see if there are any no guns signs. After all, they are a private business, and, under my state's laws at least, they have the ability to restrict guns on and in their property.

5. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

I've been told incorrect info before by people who don't even know what a CCW/CHL is. You say the word gun and they're ready to call the bomb squad. Down here, if there's no sign and they don't say anything to you, you're fine to carry. Your laws may vary.

6. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Don't ask. Just carry.

I have carried while on a Greyhound bus all the way across this country. Unless you are an idiot and can't keep your concealed weapon concealed you will have no problems.

7. Ryno

Ryno Gun in hand

Yeah just carry... just do it sensibly.

8. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

IIRC the Greyhound station here in Eugene, OR is posted. I always just ignore when dropping someone off tho. Greyhound is someplace I want to be armed.

9. El Patrón

El Patrón New Member

Well I just went in there, and I didn't see any signs posted at the station. It does, however, say "Alcoholic beverages, illegal substances, firearms, and weapons of any kind are strictly prohibited on these premises or on the bus." in the little ticket pamphlet they give you.

10. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Ok, I could have sworn they had a small picture of a gun with the line thru it on a beat up sticker on the front door. Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else tho.

11. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Greyhound does not allow CCW, so carry at your own risk.

12. Gen0c1de

Gen0c1de Kush'd Out Since I Was Push'd Out

13. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

"ILLEGAL" is the key word there. yours is legal.

14. CARETAKER

CARETAKER KANEDAAAA!!! OT Supporter

Actually, I think it's illegal substances, not illegal firearms.. I don't think you can buy illegal firearms anyway. :)

15. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I think you're reading too much into it :mamoru:

16. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

illegal substances, not firearms.

I dont think it's a "law". It's more of a policy. So if you get caught, odds are, you will be removed from the premises/bus. They may even call the cops on you, but they shouldnt be able to charge you with a crime, unless you dont leave, then probably trespassing. Greyhound might "ban" you though.

17. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

actually, it says illegal substances, firearms, etc.

It's pretty clear they don't want guns on their buses.

18. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Depending on the state, it is a felony to carry a firearm on a bus.

Georgia as an example....
    SECTION 4. Said part is further amended by striking Code Section 16-12-127, relating to prohibition on firearms, hazardous substances, knives, or other devices, in its entirety and inserting in lieu thereof the following: "16-12-127. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person, with the intention of avoiding or interfering with a security measure or of introducing into a terminal any explosive, destructive device, or hoax device as defined in Code Section 16-7-80; firearm; hazardous substance as defined by Code Section 12-8-92; or knife or other device designed or modified for the purpose of offense and defense, to: (1) Have any such item on or about his or her person, or (2) Place or cause to be placed or attempt to place or cause to be placed any such item: (A) In a container or freight of a transportation company; (B) In the baggage or possessions of any person or any transportation company without the knowledge of the passenger or transportation company; or (C) Aboard such aircraft, bus, or rail vehicle. (b) A person violating the provisions of this Code section shall be guilty of a felony and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than 20 years, a fine not to exceed $15,000.00, or both. A prosecution under this Code section shall not be barred by the imposition of a civil penalty imposed by any governmental entity. (c) It is an affirmative defense to a violation of this Code section if a person notifies a law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a transportation company of the presence of such item as soon as possible after learning of its presence and surrenders or secures such item as directed by the law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a transportation company."

19. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

In Texas, the notice in the pamphlet or the picture of the gun with the line through it doesn't mean anything. If there isn't a sign posted following the exact state statute (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/signposting.htm) then you can carry (at least in Texas).

I'd carry anyway, as long as nothing happens and you don't do anything stupid, everything is fine. If you do anything stupid and your state has anything like the law quoted for Georgia ... ouch.