GUN CCW law question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Jan 23, 2009.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I don't know if anyone would know this because most of you wouldn't need to...but how does it work with going through Canada? I'd assume I'd have to look at their local laws. For me, to get to anywhere on the east coast I drive through Canada from the metro-Detroit area. Anyone have any idea?

2. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

You can't take it into canada. You have to take the bridge or drive around lake michigan and come from the bottom.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  3. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm a little confused by this. I mean the 'no' is straight forward, but what bridge are you talking about? I'd assume Mackinac but I was talking about going to the east coast. To go to the east coast you would take the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron.

4. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I just got back from Canadia and I'll say this: had I been transporting a gun into Canada, they wouldn't have known. I was asked where I was going, why, how long I was staying, and if I had a gun. Less than 30 seconds after stopping at Canadian customs, I was on my way. This was through Sarnia/Port Huron. Now, coming back into the US, I was detained for three hours and my vehicle was subject to a seven point search. Everyone in the office who had been detained was a minority...all of them but myself, middle-eastern (I'm asian). I've never had that happen when crossing at Windsor.

5. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Coming back in they're much worse than going into Canada. I've literally been through everything at the border. Getting stopped for random inspections, I dated a girl who was born out of the country and lost her passport/papers in Canada, so we went to immigration for a few hours. I even got stopped on my 19th birthday, as the designated driver in a friends car. Turns out his brother had the car earlier and left some drugs in it...made for an interesting night.

I've never been bothered going into Canada though. Especially if you're by yourself and have a passport. However, I would rather not find out how lying about having a gun would work.

6. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

7. THT

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I wouldn't risk trying to sneak a gun through. I got yanked in for having some business paperwork improperly signed (it wasn't...Barney Fife guy) and while I was straightening that out, I watched about 7 agents arresting this guy who had 10lbs of undeclared cheese in his truck. You'd have thought his van was loaded with cocaine and dead babies.

Any of the border crossings have pamphlets about Canadian firearms laws, or you can check their website. http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/

9. THT

Can't take a G19 across since the barrel is shorter than 105mm (102mm) and basically all other handguns are restricted and you need to have a license.

10. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Damn. The basic idea was you're SOL in every way. The paperwork necessary to take the gun through leads to a dead end if you were to try apparently. And there is obviously no type of "leave your gun here, pick it up later" deal either if you're in a hurry and have to cross the border. May seem silly, but for people who live near one of the crossings things could easily come up with work or something where you're stuck with a gun and a decision on what to do.