GUN CCW hints from an instructor

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Vermincelli, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Since there are CCW carriers and future CCW carriers here, I thought I should give you a few pointers that some instructors fail to mention.

If you have or plan on getting a CCW and own your own home, I highly highly recommend getting it homesteaded. IF you ever are involved in a self defense shooting, YOU WILL BE SUED even if it was clearly justified, the criminal's family will come after you.

Don't modify your carry weapon too much. A prosecution will try their hardest to make you look like a vigilante or gun nut wanting to just shoot people instead of a citizen just protecting your life. Night sights are good, but a 1911 thats comped with a 4 lb. trigger pull is going to make it hard.

Make sure you know the local laws inside and out. Where you can and cannot carry. It's very easy to forget you are carrying and walking into a post office to drop off a letter and forgetting to put your weapon in the glove box could get you in deep trouble. Also make sure you are aware of multi office complexes. If you accidently go to a doctor's office and there happens to be a government office right across the hall, you could be violating local and federal laws.

Hope these help.

2. hitnrun99

hitnrun99 New Member

What does homesteaded mean?

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

4. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

homesteaded in my business means that you own more than one property such as a vacation, rental property in addition to the house you actually live in and you claim your primary residence as your homestead, or where you primarily live. Homesteaded properties have lower interest rate loans associated with them

5. ryanbum

I don't think a grand jury is going to pursue a case if it was a good shooting regardless if you have a tricked out gun or not. Just be clear when you can engage and remember the phrase "I was shooting to STOP the attack", NEVER say "I was shooting to kill".

I know there are exemptions from carrying your gun in your car in a parking lot. In Texas you can even drop your kids off at school with your gun in your car if you are CCW.

6. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Before I start I need to give a quick disclaimer.

I don't know anything. I don't know what I'm talking about. Don't listen to my advice. Ok, with that out of the way...

There is a philosophy that applies to all three of the tips you posted. It's called "problem one; problem two". Problem one is the fight and problem two is everything after the fight. Way too many people get wrapped up in the fine details of problem two and never really train for problem one. The legal side of a shooting (criminal prosecution and/or civil lawsuit) needs to be addressed but problem one is more important and has to come first.

The likely hood of having to fire a shot in self defense is low. To attempt to shield yourself from civil lawsuit by transferring your assets in some way prior to a shooting could also be viewed as you preparing to be involved in a shooting. Couldn't your second point also apply here as well?

Legal modifications to weapons? Come on. If you are legally justified in shooting someone, shooting them with a stock Glock or custom 1911 or MP5k won't make much difference criminally or civilly. As long as what you use is legal in your state and you shot someone who needed to be shot don't worry about it. I've heard the same argument about what ammo you use. "Don't use handloads or something too powerful." Bah. Use the tools you need to use to get the job done. There is too much wasted energy spent on worrying about problem two.

Where and when to carry? I'm a fan of the "carry your fucking gun" concept. It keeps things simple. A gun in your glove box isn't going to do you any good when you need it. If you have a concealed weapons permit NOBODY SHOULD KNOW YOU ARE CARRYING anyway. I carry any place that doesn't have a metal detector.

If you spend your life worrying about problem one you will be a great fighter who may end up with some legal trouble. If you spend you life worrying about problem two you will end up seriously injured or dead with no legal problems whatsoever.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t worry about being sued or prosecuted. I am saying you shouldn’t worry about those things at the expense of being the best prepared and trained you can be if you have to defend yourself. Problem one; then problem two. Always in that order.

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

If you carry a weapon, you need to be aware of ALL aspects should you ever need to use your firearm. I have had to sit through court cases regarding self defense shootings as well as train both civilain and LEO firearms classes.

Homesteading in the west is a $7 dollar legal filing that makes your house inaccessible in a lawsuit. It is commonly done for reasons other than carrying a weapon.

As for customizing weapons, you don't have to take my word on this, but I have been there and seen how even having a compensated barrel is enough grounds for a prosecutor to attempt to show the jury that instead of just a civilian carrying a weapon for self defense, it's someone wanting to use the weapon for any reason they can find.

As for carrying anywhere where there isn't a metal detector and not worrying about where you carry, then I will be blunt, you are on your own. I am stating that if you are going to carry legally you had better know the limitations because if you are caught carrying where it's not allowed, you WILL go to jail with a felony in most places and lose your CCW.

8. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I am in Texas... I dont think I would have to worry about a Jury convicting anyone of shooting a home intruder

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Even in Texas, you get sued. but hey, have at it.

10. ryanbum

True....no matter how justified a shooting, expect at least $5K in attorney fees. I don't think a jury in TX has found a homeowner liable yet but they have gone to court.

11. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

That was my point

12. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

homesteading in GA means that you've lived in your home long enough for the property tax to have been locked in at a particular rate, and can never go up again, so long as you own that property.

as for carrying anywhere and everywhere: when i join the fire department, they'll ask a question on the background check that goes like this: have you ever committed any undetected crimes?

i already have to list possession of a handgun under 21. i don't want to have to list "many occasions of illegal concealed carry of a firearm" also. the reason i'd HAVE to list them is that they conduct a polygraph, and will ask the same question. normally, i'd have no qualms about it. after i'm on, i'll carry in establishments serving alcohol, political events and sporting events where in can maintain concealment, and there's no metal detector. i don't believe it's a crime, constitutionally, however, legally, and polygraphically, it'll still come out as one, so i have to refrain from it for now.

i have two friends that carry exept when faced with a metal detector.

13. Furner

Furner New Member

is posession of a handgun under the age of 21 a crime in GA?

14. Griffon

Griffon comic nerd extraordinaire

No, but I'm sure that carrying one concealed under 21 is.

15. footratfunkface

yes, it is, if you're not with anyone who's 21. so is concealment of one if you're under 21. so is concealment of one if you don't have a carry permit, no matter the age. so is the carry of a firearm into an establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises in GA.

16. Furner

Furner New Member

wow that kind of sucks. here in MI I legally bought my first handgun at 19.

17. Griffon

Griffon comic nerd extraordinaire

I think that he means you can't have one with you unless your with someone who is 21. I think you can still own them though.

18. footratfunkface

you cannot legally possess one without someone 21 or older unless you're defending yourself, you're on your family's farm property, or some other exceptions applying to the olden days. you can have one held at an FFL for you until you turn 21, but you may not legally take possession of it until then. if you're willed a pistol under 21, you cannot possess it by yourself, even though you legally own it. you cannot legally PURCHASE one in the united states, from a dealer or an individual, no matter what you think your state law says, because federal law prohibits it, and state law cannot supercede state law unless it it MORE strict.

19. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

No, REALLY, it's legal at 18 to posess.

20. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I've carried a pistol with a permit since age 18. It is true you can't buy a pistol until 21 but you can possess one without someone 21 around.

21. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

tips from a 5-o on CCWing:

1. Learn your local laws. Know where you can and can't carry, know if you are required to inform an officer if you're carrying. KNOW the laws pertaining to deadly force, physical force, citizens' arrest, detaining people, "fleeing felons", menacing others, etc.

2. Review the laws you just learned until they're concrete.

3. Modify your weapon all you want. Just remember, if you shoot someone, that gun is now property of the court system until any and all cases (both criminal and civil) are settled; as that weapon is now evidence. That can take years, doesn't usually, but it can.

4. Review those laws again.

5. Don't consume alcohol while carrying. It's just not worth it. Lots of states have a special offender crime that prohibits you from carrying while intoxicated, or even while consuming.

6. You guessed it, learn and review those laws.

7. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice everything related to firearms. Draws and reholstering, hammer drop (if applicable), reloading (both combat and tactical), point shooting, double tapping, head shots, moving and shooting (at the same time, and separately). Learn the ins and outs of your firearm and holster. TRUST ME, when the shit hits the fan, and it's time to stop threat, the simple task of reloading, or even reholstering is tough as hell.

8. It never hurts to know a lawyer.

9. For heavens sake, if you're going to spend money on a gun, money on a holster, on ammo, on a CCW permit, spend the $100 on night sights. Not all shootings are in daylight or high light situations. Criminals don't like accosting people in the daytime nearly as much as they do at night.

10. Those laws I've been talking about, make sure you know them. I am required by my agency to know the deadly force statutes verbatim. It's a bitch to remember, but I know when, where and why I can utilize deadly force. It's not something I have to stop and thing about, because frankly you won't have the time.

11. While practicing, don't worry about the 25 yard line so much. Worry about the 0-7 yard line, as that's where *most* shooting occur from.

12. Have a good day. Shoot faster and more accurately than your bandit.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  22. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I agree with everything you wrote.

I did want to add something to tip #11. Train from 0-7 yards for most of your defensive shooting. Fights happen up close and you may not have 3 yards to safely get full extension while shooting. Never forget that bad guys rob, rape, choke, punch, stab and kill people at contact distance.

[​IMG]

23. FluffNugget

FluffNugget aww Baby Zero aww OT Supporter

Could anyone tell me what federal law he is referring to if this is accurate, because i bought a used makarov (russian hand gun) at age 19, from another individual, and i got a permit to purchase from my local police department and had it inspected by my local police (which is required in the city i live in.) So i literally walked in to the police department with my handgun (treigger locked and bagged of course), by myself at age 19, they inspected it and gave it back. Not to mention they gave me the permit to buy. So did i get away with something i wasn't supposed to, or does this guy not know what he's talking about? I know this was legal as far as state and local laws, i'm just wondering if there is a federal law that makes it illegal. Remember it was a private sale.

24. footratfunkface

hell, i could be wrong. it's happened before.

25. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

It is legal for someone 18-21 to posses a handgun, as long as it isn't concealed, and as long as you're not allowed to have it (felon, DV, etc). You can not buy accessories or a gun itself until you're 21.

It is illegal for a juvenile to possess a handgun, in anyway shape or form, technically. I personally won't arrest a juvenile who is out shooting with a legal guardian, etc.

I'm in a hurry right now, later I'll write up the laws as they've been explained to me by the BATF.