GUN CCW Discussion

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mizer, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Mizer

Mizer Who needs sleep!

Im still pretty new to the whole CCW life. I got my permit, taking time to double check for signs on entrances, and trying to understand the jibberish that is the Texas Penal Code so that I dont make any mistakes.

Long story short. I was carrying last night to dinner. But the restroom was located through the bar area of the resteraunt. I know im allowed to carry into the normal part of the resteraunt but not the bar top area (if I remember correctly). Are people carrying able to cross through to get to the restroom or basically stuck holding it?

I know its a probably a stupid question but I can tell many of you are very active and knowledgable in the CCW world so I figured you would have an answer.

2. travisdb

travisdb What do you wanna do?

I dont know about Texas, but walking throught to go to the John wouldnt get you in trouble here.

3. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Can't help ya there. In AZ, you can't have a weapon in the building if they serve alcohol at all.

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Good question. Everyone I've asked about LA says you can carry in a resturant but you just can't go belly up to the bar.

I'm doubting you'd get in trouble if you just walked through and you hadn't been drinking at all.

5. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Its called CCW for a reason. Concealed. Keep it concealed and you have no problem. Or just move to Colorado to remove all doubt of legalities in this situation. :big grin:

6. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

It's my understanding that you can carry in the bar section as long as the whole establishment doesn't make 51% from alcohol sales.

7. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Kind of a similar question: If you have a gun in the glove box, fully legal, and then drive through a school zone, are you breaking the law?

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I was told that it was in the CCW class I took. Unless you have a CCW, then you can transport it through the zone, but you may not draw it.

That's what he said in the class anyway.

9. Mizer

Mizer Who needs sleep!

Our instructor told us (here in Texas) that you can carry concealed in the vehicle but it can not be removed from a vehicle if you are on school grounds.

There are so many "what ifs" involved in a CCW you almost need a separate forum to handle it LOL

10. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Oh ok, I always thought it would be kind of crappy to go through a school zone and end up getting pulled over or something.

11. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

Rule one, never trust a CCW instructor for the actual facts. So many of them instead of telling a student they don't know will just pull shit out of thin air so as to seem knowledgeable.

12. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Or when you do find a good instructor that knows the laws...pick their brain.

13. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

Problem is, knowing who is good and who is not.

14. 2L Bunny

If you've done any research on the local law, like you should have, then you'll be able to tell who's BS'ing.

15. Rev. Links

Rev. Links New Member

Texas CHL holder here.

If you have not been drinking (which you shoulding be if you are carrying), then walking through the bar to reach the only restroom that the current establishment has avaliable should not get you in trouble. I will clarify this with a cop at work on Sunday.

16. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

:werd: Thats how it is here.

17. 2L Bunny

Not second guessing your cop friend's knowledge, but the best person to ask is a lawyer, or better yet do the research online. Perhaps a nicely worded letter to the DA? Police officers don't always know the intracacies of all laws.....who can blame them there's a LOT to follow that's constantly being updated.