GUN CCW classes

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by camarosrool, Nov 18, 2008.

1. camarosrool

camarosrool yes i am

So I have recently started to do some looking into getting a handgun and taking a ccw course

I have been trying to read up on starter guns and whatnot in this section and have already learned alot (well maybe not a lot, but seeing as how I knew nothing I know way more then when I started)

anyhoo, question is, I have seen many advertise 125 - 150 per course

have also seen some people talking about paying 75 - 90

question is, as long as it is certified, does it matter if I pay more?
    is it a situation of you get what you pay for, or is it basically the same?
    is it better to get my own gun and ammo before the class or find one that lets me borrow theirs?

thanks for any info, and if you want to add anything that I didnt ask it would be appreciated

2. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

First off, ask yourself if you are willing to take the life of another in defense of your own or another persons. Are you willing to spend the rest of your life in jail if you go to court over it and lose? If you don't think you have the mental strength to pull the trigger, then I wouldn't waste any time doing a CCW course.

You get what you pay for in most cases. More training is always better. I got a pistol before I did the course, but it really doesn't matter.

3. Landfill

Landfill New Member

Generally speaking the more you pay the more you get out of the class, I know places that charge 50 bucks a head but have 15-25 people in the class. I payed 125 as a favor from a friend instead of 175 for one on one training.

As far as the gun ahead of time it depends where you live, in Connecticut you are required to have a pistol permit before owning or possessing any pistol, so the instructor would be required to provide you with one for the hands on training.

4. camarosrool

camarosrool yes i am

as far as the first part, I am gay and have been with my boyfriend for 2 years. During those 2 years we have both been scared for our lives. Once when a truck full of rednecks tried to chase me down at night because I was holding a guys hand, and once when he had a gun held on him during a robbery.

Both of those situations, whether it would have to have been pulled or not, we would have felt safer knowing that we had it.

This is something we discussed together, and both of us felt we would feel safer and feel better about the other person knowing we were protected.

I want to do it right with the most training and want to get plenty of practice on a range as well, but we both definitely want it and want the other to have it.

thanks for the info in the second part too

5. camarosrool

camarosrool yes i am

smaller class sizes = better?

in michigan some let you rent the guns and ammo (or include it in the course) so I would guess its allowed here

I was just wondering if it is better/worse/same to get my own beforehand

6. Keesh

Keesh New Member

More practice/training can't hurt. I recommend a class that you actually get to shoot at, and has instructors that will teach you how to draw from concealment. The class should also include your states laws, when it's acceptable to shoot and when it is not. If you're going to carry, you should know the laws and feel comfortable drawing from concealment.

7. sprite

sprite Active Member

The Michigan CPL training is really more about teaching you the laws, with VERY basic marksmanship training as a required part of the course. It is based on the NRA "Personal Protection in the Home" program.

The content is standardized, and the firearm specific portions must be taught by NRA certified instructors, and the law portions must be taught by an attorney. In that regard, there will not be a big difference between the cheaper and more expensive classes.

What I'd recommend is signing up for whatever CPL course is most convenient for you to attend. Also sign up for a dedicated "defensive/tactical pistol" training class. These are typically 2-3 days of focused training where you will learn good gun handling skills, defensive techniques, etc.

8. sprite

sprite Active Member

You might also check out www.pinkpistols.org which is an organization for gay gun owners. There is a Michigan chapter, but I have no idea what types of resources they may offer.

9. Tycoon

Tycoon New Member

I didn't have to take classes.

I got handed a book on the laws, filled out the paperwork and got my permit.

:bowdown:

10. Landfill

Landfill New Member

I feel more one on one training is better however most basic pistol safety classes are exactly what they say they are, basic training. At most you walk out with basic firearms safety and firearms handling. I highly suggest to find other classes to sign up for that teach you more about firearms and self defense and expand from there the classes are well worth paying for. Also I highly suggest that you read all the state statutes regarding firearms and self defense.

11. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I would probably suggest renting pistols to see what you like ergonomics wise. Not all guns are created equal and some will not be comfortable to you. While you don't need to purchase one immediately, I would suggest buying one that you're comfortable w/ before you take the class, logic would dictate to me that I would rather take a class w/ my personal firearm as opposed to someone elses. :dunno:

12. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

13. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Sounds like someone who's jaded..... For legal issues, take a class from a reputable source. Perhaps they also instruct local law enforcement or DPSST (whatever the state abreviations is) Their course material should also have been gone over by a lawyer for legal basis.

Also don't hestitate to take another class if you didn't care for the material that one offered. I've been in ok classes, great ones, and crappy ones.

14. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i am paying for the g/f to take a $40 online course so she can have her CHP then i am getting her some private training. i'd rather spend the $$$ on something where she will actually learn

15. camarosrool

camarosrool yes i am

ok this is good, i will call around and ask them questions like this

16. camarosrool

camarosrool yes i am

hmm ok read all the replies, rather than spam up the thread I will just say I am taking note of everyones suggestions and thanks for the input I really appreciate it

17. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Look for NRA-certified pistol instructors, and look for prior military. Maybe prior law enforcement.

18. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

law enforcement doesn't mean shit. You'd be surprised at the stories the owner of the local cop shop tells me. Guy takes apart shotgun ON DUTY in the patrol car and can't figure out how to put it back together.

19. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

most of the stories are pretty funny. The gander mountain "gunsmith" takes all their stuff to the cop shop owner for him to fix. This was after the gander mountain guy installed some form of sights on a rifle and they fell off before the guy got it home.

20. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I took mine at Target Sports on Woodward. It was $150, but was a good class imo. Maybe check out http://www.migunowners.org/forum/index.php for information on other local class locations. I had my own gun when taking the class, but they did rent guns to others who did not bring their own.

21. camarosrool

camarosrool yes i am

cool

thanks for the link

I do like the idea of having my training be on the gun that I will be owning, so I think I will get the gun first

Just gotta find out what I want now...

22. Bausk

Bausk New Member

The training is only basic range time. Most of the class is in the classroom and deals with carry laws and when you can use it. The class I took, we shot 3 boxes (150 rounds). If you rent a gun and shoot, and it isn't a good fit, then renting another isn't going to hurt any more than buying more ammo and paying for the rental. If anything it will be better to already know how to handle the gun.

Maybe decide on 2 or 3 and rent one with your class. Rent the other one or two later and decide which you like best.

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think this is great advice.

I would also add that you might look for some of the competitive shooting sports in your area. It'd be good practice for shooting on the move and while under stress. (yar or ab post video here :big grin: )

24. Practical shooting is not only a great way to learn skills, but it's a fucking ton of fun.

Here's some of the posts Soybomb is talking about:

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4007348
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3991585

25. camarosrool

camarosrool yes i am