CBR F2 - Timing Problem?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by neonwheels, May 16, 2006.

1. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

Is it even possible to change?

For a couple days it ran fine, then it won't start. It fires, it has gas, it just doesn't seem to fire at the right time.

I hate carbs, so I've been having my brother (who is a carb fanatic and a mechanic) dicking with it but this is kinda where we've been reaching a dead end. The timing tensioner seems to be fine as well, might just replace it for the hell of it.

You can sit there and feed it starter spray and it'll fire (a nice flame backfire too) but it'll never get to the point of starting.

Any ideas? :hs:

2. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

To continue this...

The timing did jump, fixed the timing, ran for a couple rides, died again. Timing jumped again, fixed it and now it doesn't run at all.

Took out the tensioner, seems crapped out. Stuck in a socket and held it with a pry bar, it starts up and runs for a bit (but that's because I have the gas tank off and all it's getting is fuel inserted directly to the individual carbs).

Since I'm at work I had someone go and have a Honda dealership order me a new tensioner. The counter monkey says it's an electrical problem and he won't order the part.

Now before I call him and instruct him to shove his words of wisdom up his ass and order my motherfucking part, does he have a point?

There are no electrical leads to the tensioner, as far as I can tell it's held tight by a spring. It seemed to fire correctly for the 10 seconds it ran with the socket inserted as a psuedo-tensioner. What part of "it's an electrical problem" am I missing?

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Go to a different dealer to get thr part. Or speak to the sales manager for the stealership. No one should refuse to sell you a part becuase he thinks he knows better.

I say get the part elsewhere. And complain ro American Hondas customer service number about that dealer.

And if the problem persists, then take it to a reputible motorcycle repair shop in your area.

4. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

I already talked to the supervisor and they have ordered the tensioner, and I'll be buying it at their "cost" to make up for the problem.

So hopefully I can get the bike back on the road long enough to find a nicer cruiser bike!

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest