cavities

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mojo, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mojo

Mojo New Member

sorry if ive used the improper forum, mods please move if neccesary

i went to the dentist to get checked up (havent been there for a year). figured out i got 7 cavities. 2 are on the nerve and the rest are smaller/large in size. i want to know is it possible to get rid of these cavities by brushing teeth, flossing, mouthwash, etc often? operation is going to cost well over $500 (estimate).
    also, would i be able to qualify for health care if im 19? my mother is widowed and doesnt make great income. i even qualify for school financial aide. have 2 brothers and 1 sister as well. but only 1 bro is living in the household.

please let me know :sadwavey:

2. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

did you do anything out of the ordinary to get these cavities? I brush my teeth at least twice a day, mouthwash sometimes, floss sometimes. I've never had a cavity in my life...but I haven't been to the dentist in a long time :noes:

3. Blue Leaves

Blue Leaves Active Member

its genetics as well. some people have teeth that are more resistant to cavities.

4. Mojo

Mojo New Member

i brush my teeth every morning when i wake up, and another before sleep.
    floss once a day as well
    mouthwash rarely (once a week?)

i think its because i eat so much candy/sugar in the past.

5. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

As stated already, you can lessen the damage, but you cannot get rid of the cavities. I'm suprised by the cost, are they doing a root canal? If anything try to get the ones on the nerves taken care of first, then the others.

If you are in college, check to see if they offer a student health care plan that covers dental. If you are employed, check with your employer. If your state has a health care program for low-income families, you can check into that as well. Lastly, you can look into purchasing a health care plan, it won't be cheap, but should be less than the operation itself.

6. Mojo

Mojo New Member

thanks for the info everyone.

im currently in a community college and hopefully will transfer to state this fall. i doubt this community college offers health care, but i hope the state colleges will. im not currently employed, but im seeking a job at either home depot, fedex or ikea. also, i believe its a "root canal". if that means the cavity is on my nerve area or at a painful section.:noes:

as for health care plan, how do those work? i used to get free health care when i was under 18 and it was free. but now that im 19, the card expiered (thats what the dentist told me) and i need to renew it. if i was elgiable for free health care when i was a minor, do you think my chances are high for it again now?

again, thanks all

7. MiseryIndex

MiseryIndex i never know why. i only know who. Moderator

i brush about 8 times a day :o

8. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

You can only prevent cavities or slow their growth, but you need to get fillings. If you don't have any type of insurance, check out some online companies like goldenwestdental.com (smilechoice)

9. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

when bulking you almost have to...I brush a lot also because I'm always eating, then going to class or something...

10. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

It is easier to get free health care as a minor. I believe it would be more difficult now that you are legally an adult, you will need to demonstrate financial hardship as well as a reason as to why you are unable to work. You would need to meet with a social worker and highly doubt you would qualify for the state's health care plan. If your mom has a state health care plan and you were under it as a minor, you might still be covered so long as you are still in school. Or if your mother has health insurance through her employer, you might still be covered as long as you are still a student (depends on the insurance company).

Other than that, you can look into different insurance companies (such as Blue Cross) and see what type of plans they offer. You can also look into comapnies that only offer dental coverage. Lastly, you can look for a dental office that will split the cost of the operation into several payments.

11. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Pork Chop Sandwiches Extraordinary Member

As far as I know, Blue Cross does not offer dental coverage with their standard health plans. You should be able to sign up for a dental plan if you work for a big company such as Home Depot or Ikea. Perhaps that will influence your decision of where you want to work.

12. Mojo

Mojo New Member

my mother has a policy number i used to be under when i was a minor, when it was free. now that im 19, do u think they will renew her current policy and provide me with healthcare?

im full time student, receive student aide services at my community college, dont work yet but trying to get a job, mother works, she receive welfare, and 1 brother in the household whose also 18 (his healthcare didnt expire for some odd reason:confused: ).

she also said my older brother whose 21 now used to get free healthcare when he was 19, so that kind of brought my hopes higher. i really dont want to pay hundred of hundred for the procedure.:eek3:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.