Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Boomdart, May 23, 2009.

1. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

:bowdown:

I love Castlevania games, pretty much played all of them, even the shitty 3D ones for a little while (couldn't get into them). I'm lost in Portrait of Ruin, don't you hate when you put a game down for a few weeks and come back you have no idea where you were or what you were doing :o

C: OoE doesn't really feel like a castlevania game at all, but it uses the same side scrolling mechanics and maintains the rpg elements of the others.

Haven't made it too far in the game, but I haven't seen one mention of dracula yet, 3 hours and 4 minutes into the game.

One thing I like about OoE is you're not trapped in one huge castle, theres a "world map" of sorts, it might change later if there is a dracula castle, but for now there are different places to go on a map and getting lost isn't an option, pretty linear so far. Definably has a challenging aspect as well, I've died more than I can care to admit already :o

The one thing I can't stand is the item store guy for some reason has yet to upgrade his shitty inventory and I've been wearing start-game armor forever :squint:

They added one mechanic just for the puzzle aspect I guess, it's kind of annoying...you sort of attach yourself to these small circles so you can fling yourself or hold yourself in the air with them.

2. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I'm still on my first play-through of SOTN and I know what you mean by putting the game down for a few weeks and then coming back completely lost. I downloaded CoE onto my gf's DS and played some of it, and it seemed much simpler. After I finish SOTN I will give this one a try.

Are any of the other DS Castlevanias any good?

3. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Yeah, Dawn of Sorrow seems pretty cool, I haven't played it very much though ~10mins, the first boss kicks my ass :o. It's a sequel to Aria of Sorrow on the gameboy advance, you might wanna check that out first. You play the same character (Soma) in both.

Portrait of Ruin is awesome as hell, you control two character simultaneously and the mechanic for doing so is perfect. The only real problem is that it's a seriously hard as hell game. Even if you over-level you'll still be facing hard as fuck boss battles.

I just got to the lighthouse in Order of Ecclesia and I can't beat the boss in the first room there :wtc: I probably could if I spent all my money buying potions first, but shit, I spent a lot of time gaining that money for equipment whenever it comes available, not potions just to stay alive :o

Each game is characteristically/mechanically different and each is definably worth playing. It's amazing how they can take one idea and span it across so many different games and it still works each time.

SotN is awesome, probably still the best of all of them (and probably has something to do with the fact it's not on a handheld system), I still have my copy for the ps1 but at 110% completion the game doesn't load the next screen to continue :wtc: Now I can't even get it to turn on at all :wtc::wtc:

4. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

I can't remembr, but the lighthouse boss I think you just have to wait out. attacking doesn't do anything.

5. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Really?

We're talking about the crab monster right? I haven't tried not attacking it, but after attacking it for so long it'll turn red and he'll break the ceiling and make both of us crawl up. Didn't know attacking it had nothing to do with that :o

I'll try that real quick, thanks :bowdown:

6. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I died :wtc:

I figured out how to dodge his attacks, but after waiting a while he didnt do anything so I equiped Torpor to attack him (crystal thing lands on his head doing like 14dmg each time)

7. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I just beat him

that was fucking brutal the way you kill him once you reach the top:eek3:

8. hellodon

hellodon

I played hours of this game before realizing that you need to press the 2 attack buttons back and forth anytime you're attacking to get the necessary hits/speed to kill most enemies....this is super important and they don't even really explain it...I saw it in a video and I was like "how the hell are they swinging their weapon so fast!!) then realized and it changed the whole game.

They make you aware that you have 2 attacks, but they don't let you know that you can equip the same weapon on both attack slots, and press them back and forth to use your weapon twice as fast (which is pretty necessary)

I made it pretty far into that game but anytime I put it down it was because a boss was unnecessarily difficult...i'd pick it up later, go raise a few levels and get a little bit further. I think I'm near the end of the game at this point. Didnt die too much other than on bosses while learning them. Raising levels is key in this game...you need to level grind a couple times. I needed a walkthrough for this one part and the recommended level was like 29 and I was at 17 haha.

9. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

:o

I'm 4 hrs into the game and level 16, anytime I see a monster that's easy to kill with good xp I'll gain a level or two by killing it, stepping back a few feet to switch screens / go back and kill the same thing again, makes it quick but sometimes it still takes a hell of a long time :/

Yeah I know about the two weapons thing :) Some weapon combos are super fast but use weak weapons, some weapon combos are slow as hell, and some are just right.

10. Sonic_Fan

Sonic_Fan 恐ろしい Member

OH, this is a thread where I can relate! I already did beat this game 100% and I absolutely enjoyed every minute of it. That fucking crab boss PISSED ME OFF SO MUCH because I died so many times. :bowrofl: I kept fucking attacking that piece of shit with axes since it was the only weapon that would guarantee a hit every time you'd use it, but it would never die. It wasn't until like my fourth try where I realized that harming it doesn't do anything. To top it off, I had reached the top and kept attacking it until all of my magic power went out and I was like "Wtf? is this game broken?" it wasn't until I went up that platform where I got to watch that little cutscene of Shanoa telling the crab to go to hell while dropping the elevator on top of it. Fucking awesome.

I LOVE the difficulty of this game too. It kicks your fucking ass, and that's something I LOVE because it makes you think of better ways of approaching enemies and buying certain items. The 'glyphs' system also works great for combination attacks and whatnot. Many people didn't like the fact that it felt too linear and that you only went from point a to point b in the world map, but I thought that was a fucking welcome back to older Castlevania fans and I welcomed it 100%. However, you may think that the world map is small and that there's little places to go, but wait till you progress further and unlock the MAIN piece of the meat. You will be fucking blown away.

Hell yes. You definitely should play Dawn of Sorrow. It is an incredible game with an amazing soundtrack. If you're liking Symphony of the Night, I'm positive you will enjoy Dawn of Sorrow.

11. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

:werd:

Theres a lot of new things in this game I welcome, especially the linearity. I love castlevania games and even if I get lost I'll traverse the castle a million times trying to find where to go, and never get bored of it :o

I wish I could watch the crab death again, so far that's one of the coolest things I've seen on the DS yet :bigthumb:

I need to get into Dawn of Sorrow, I beat aria of sorrow no prob, but I got like, 10 mins into dawn of sorrow and I don't have a snowball's chance in hell to beat that boss, i just get owned way too easily :squint: I'll get to it after Ecclesia, don't wanna stop in the middle of one game to play another :o I do that too much with lunar/ff games.

12. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

Not really a spoiler, but you get to see the awesome crab death scene :bowdown:

[y]MHTqtqD_Ld4[/y]

13. Phreakazoid

Phreakazoid Wallsticks, motherfucker

Beat through it, it wasn't bad.

I remember that crab boss being kind of a pain though.