A&P Casio Exilim EX-Z50 / EX-Z55

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by unrealii, Oct 30, 2004.

1. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Has anyone had any experiences with these cameras? I'm looking at a casio EX-Z50 or EX-Z55 (circuit city.com has the 55 model for $404), it has mostly what I want:
    -good battery life
    -very compact & has optical zoom
    -sd memory = non properitery and cheap, plus my lil brother's pentax s40 is sd, so we can share cards

The only thing I dont know about it is how good the image quality is. From which review sites I looked at, I have been seeing mixed reviews from editors and consumers. Has anyone used it?

I was strongly considering the canon s70, but I have decided I am better off with a pocketable camera. I know I am giving up some image quality and some manual features. The canon s410/s500 are slightly too large as well. I am also considering the sony dsc-l1, but memory stick duo is expensive :(

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  2. mojito

mojito New Member

I have sold many many Z40 and Z4U's. Everyone loved them, never had a single bad comment. They use a Pentax lens, one that is higher quality than the ones used on hte Optios. Tons of pre set shooting modes, great battery life considering the size of the LCD, and a much brighter and more detailed LCD than the T1.

I haven't gotten to play with the Z5 series yet, but based on the previous models, would highly recommend them. They do have a higher % of margin on them compared to most cameas, so finding a deal on them shouldn't be too hard. The previous series did need to be charged on the docking cradle, not a big deal, and nice and convienet for home use, but customers always hated bringing it with them on vacations, even though its not that big.

3. unrealii

awesome...all of the bad things I have read is about picture quality. I dont know if the people saying those things are holding the shutter half way enough for the camera to autofocus since I believe casio made it that it will take a picture asap if you press the shutter really fast. I could be wrong. But this is good news...I have had trouble finding the camera for me and I think this may be it.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

almost all cameras do that auto focusing if the shutter is half way depressed. The Casio's are pretty quick without, but it does help to depress the shutter half way

5. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

I've just got the Casio Exilim pro600 and I can't recommend it highly enough. The one you're after is also getting some decent reviews around the web, but make sure you search the web about build quality. After doing a LOT of searching it turned out that the little Canon camera I was going to get had a serious flaw with the lens so it was off to another camera manufacturer. Casio seem to do solid cameras at a great price.

6. mojito

mojito New Member

:sadwavey: um, even though I love the P-600 and will consider it when I get a point and ashoot backup to my DSLR's, in terms of the overall comment, the P-600 uses a Canon lens

7. unrealii

just picked up the z55 from circuit city.

For some reason i thought the z40 was an older model, but its just like the z50 with 4 mp. Now I feel like I overspent since the z40 meets my minimum requirements...oh well, I have the 2.5" lcd though :)

8. sony

sony Active Member

As long as you're having fun. Whats the damage? :wiggle:

9. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

I wasn't actually aware of that, but I've not seen any reports of the lens failing with these Casios, is what I meant to say.

The one thing I have noticed with this pro600 is that it is very difficult to get a shot that doesn't have blur in it. It's even out of focus in some shots on the tripod due to it focusing on the wrong area of the photo. Talk about a fussy camera. It's a great camera, don't get me wrong, just it's just a lot more complicated to set up for shots than other cameras like it that I've used (that being said, they were slightly more simple point n click types, where as this has LOTS of settings).

If I had one criticism of this camera I'd say that the macro function is poor.

{edit} I've just had a play around with the macro function correctly :rolleyes: and it isn't as bad as I first thought :sadwavey:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  10. unrealii

Yeah, you're right. It was a difference between $400 and $300, but I worked a few extra hours yesterday, so I guess its all right. Picked up a 128 mb sd card from frys for $25 - $20 MIR :hs:

ElDude, glad you enjoy your casio, I'm liking mine :)

11. unrealii

12. SiD Fresh

SiD Fresh Guest

Are there any update on this? I want to get the ex-z55, any new suggestions or comments?

13. unrealii

So far I love the camera. The size of it makes it easy to carry around everywhere. Image quality has been great for my needs. I wish it had an auto focus lamp because sometimes this thing has trouble focusing in dark. Other than that, the images for my point and shoot needs have been great. My only complaint so far is that the autofocus mechanism has become a bit noisey, though performance hasn't changed. The shop which introduced me to this camera said they have had very fiew returns/problems on the casio exilims.

14. reaXion

reaXion Texas is better then your mom

I'm either going to get this or the cannon sd200.
    I have a cybershot dsc30u and a olympus c-320 and I hate having a compact cameras when I go out and then needing to pull out a decent camera for better quality shots.

I want something that has a little bit of both.

Does the movie mode on the casio have sound?
    Both my current digicams don't.

15. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

I've had an EX-Z4 and I must say, it's a great little camera. Very pocketable and extremely well built and easy to use. Image quality is pretty good, however there are some instances where it performs better than other situations. Still, a very good cam.

16. unrealii

Yeah, the video has sound. Its alright...nothing professional, but definitly good enough for those moments you wish you could have video.

Here's a review by dcrp...at the bottom they have suggestions for cameras depending on what features you want most.
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/casio/exilim_z55-review/index.shtml

I needed a very portable and good all around camera, so I bought the casio.

17. SiD Fresh

SiD Fresh Guest

is $310 including shipping a good price for it?