casein vs whey

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by deznutz, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deznutz

deznutz New Member

just started using ON Casein protein and i must say, the gas and liquid shit is minimal. can i replace whey with casein????

2. lif

lif New Member

Casein dominant shakes PWO have been found to be better for muscle gain in the long run than whey dominant shakes... try doing a blend of both PWO with casein being in excess.

As for supplementing during the day, i don't see why you couldn't repalce whey with casein. I just hate how clumpy ON whey gets, im seriously thinking of just throwing out the rest of it.

3. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

:werd: a blend is best

4. Oscar

Oscar Guest

what's a good one?

5. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

not many out there really if you don't count MRP's which also contain carbs and fats. You can buy casein and buy whey and mix it yourself. you can make your own at trueprotein.com or proteinfactory.com.

or there are a few blend products out there, like Syntrax Matrix, but they won't release the contents of their blend so you don't really know how much of what you are getting.

6. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  7. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

Casein protein is a slow digesting protein, found mainly in milk. Whey protein will remain in the digestive track for up to 4 hours. Whereas, casein protein will remain in the digestive track for 7 to 8 hours. Hence the reason people will use casein protein at night to sustain protein avalibility throughtout your sleep.

Casein protein can also be used in the morning, say with/after breakfast, to increase satiety and control hunger throughout the day.

As for replacing all of your protein with casein protein, I would advise against it. Number one, whey protein has a higher bioavailability, reaching the blood stream quicker, making it better suited for either your pre or post workout shake. Also, number 2, taking too much casein protein can clog the digestive track, and as I said increase satiety. Which could make it hard for you to eat all the food necessary to reach your daily caloric goals.

If you are dieting, the reverse holds true. It would be idle to help you maintain even protein uptake and control hunger throughout the day and in between meals. But it would still not be advisable as a pre/post workout shake.

8. deznutz

deznutz New Member

Thanks for the info fellas...

9. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

I saw a scientific paper showing that people who used milk protein blend put on more muscle mass when compared to a group taking only whey.
    Whey could be nice around the workouts but by eating mnay times a day, there should be sufficient amino acids in the free amino acid pool to prevent muscle catabolism. BCAAs would help that too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.