Case recommendations

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RaginBajin, Oct 6, 2004.

1. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

I'm looking to build a new machine and was looking for some suggestions on cases. I've had major heating issues with my last 2 PC's so I definitely want ot get something with good air flow and good amount of fans if possible. Looking to put in a 3-3.2Ghz Pent 4.

I was looking at the high end Thermaltakes because I don't know a lot about other cases/companies. I figured you guys could point me in the direction of a few I can look at.

Suggestions? :bigthumb:

2. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Coolermaster Wavemaster... Worth every penny, quiet, easy to install, but rather expensive.

That is what I have for my P4 system. It doesn't have the 12cm fans, but does have 3 8cm fan instead. The fan is really quiet. The case isolates noise pretty well. The metal door is probably thinker than the door panel on a 1988 Honda Civic... You feel quality everywhere...

3. rvito

rvito New Member

I recommend the antec line of cases. Very high quality without the pricetag of stuff like the coolermaster. here's a link from newegg to the case I use in my personal system: Link

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

antec sonota or super lanboy.

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yep, all the Antec cases, even the cheap ones, are great.

6. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

Have you found the 350W PS to be enough?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Antec PSUs are really bad, imo. If looking for a great PSU, check out Enermax.

For cases, the wavemaster is critisized for having poor cooling. The CoolerMaster Praetorian ranks much better in terms of cooling. Silverstone TJ02 and TJ04 cases are excellent. There's also the LianLi PC75, V2000, and 6070. The Coolermaster CMStacker is one of my favorites, unfortunatly, it's expensive.

8. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

i have the antec lanboy, and its a pretty decent little case.

9. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Hum... my Wavemaster had been pretty good so far, and that's with 4 HDs, 9800 Pro stock heatsink, P4 [email protected]

But for a modern case, 12cm fan is prefered...

:werd: on the antec powersupply thing. I know that they are suppose to be one of the best and wut not... Two of them fried in my face (smoke came out blhalhalha)... No kidding, and never had anything like that happened to me with Enermax (Although I had got an defective unit once), and Thermaltake (They run too HOT IMHO).

10. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

As much as I like the Antec cases... Yes, they are of exceptional quality (in most cases). Most of my friend got Antec and the 12cm fan is nice... But here is the problem that I have with their cases...

1. Sonata, very popular, and I had say the paint job is pretty impressive, almost as good as the CoolerMaster. However the drilled hole (says Antec) on the side make the case noisy, and gathers dust inside like CRAZY... Also the front door is plastic... where the Coolermaster is thick metel. (Antec comes with lock, that's something useful actually)

2. P160, I like that case a lot. Have only one issue with it, the front door panel is hard to come off. This is required when you install floppy drive. Also it came with little to none instruction manual... Facked up... The quality of it is pretty good. Again, the front panel is plastic. This one got no case door, which is prefered by some (like myself).

11. rvito

rvito New Member

the antec 350 tru blue that came with my case has been a good power supply. Admittedly i don't have an insane system in my box, but it does the job. I have 2 hdds, 2 cd, an athlon 64 2800 and a 9800 pro in there.

12. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

I chose the p160 because it doesn't have a case door. The part about the front panel being plastic and having to come off to replace any devices also annoyed me. But I paid $130 for it and nothign else seemed to be good. I put an enermax cooler giant psu in the case and so far everything is good.

13. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

But it's a good case though... But I got the wavemaster for such a good deal.

It was like CDN$160 for the P160, CDN$199 for the wavemaster... For about US$25 more, I get the black wave master... no brainer for me... Also my friend already have Sonata and P160, so gotta have something different ya know..

14. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Cool, congrats. I was considering the wave master, but I was already over spending and the one in the store was all beaten up, so I settled.

15. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Aside form the look, just talking about cooling, features and what not. I think P160 is superior...

It's got 1 12cm fans and you can put another one in. (vs 3 x 8cm fans)

You get temperture display (would be nice if it's blue instead of green.

Easy to install HD rail

No case door (that's actually a bad thing I think... you never know which app will eject the DVD-RW by accident)

Drive face plates, you can use practically any optical drive, I had to stick with black (yes there's the case door, but you dont' want a unmatched optical drive)...

But I don't know to have the same case as my friends... That was an important factor... Super Lan Boy is pretty good, too btw... considered that one as well