Case mods..?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Madness, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

Should've made this thread here in the first place (screw teh main forum) :rolleyes:.

I'm looking to change out some of the cables in my tower for some colored ones. But before I start spending money I need to confirm what I'll need. All I have for lighting right now is a couple fans with blue leds and a 12" cold cathode light (that I dont use). I'll probably be swapping out the power supply with this one soon but would I need a black light to get UV cables to "glow"? Right now everything is a mess.. I could use some suggestions as to what specific parts I'd need to clean it all up.. :hsd:
    [​IMG]

Yes, I know case lights are rice and Intel Inside stickers won't make it faster; anyone that needs to crack jokes please reference this thread (link). :rolleyes:

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Well, I grew out of all that case ricing shit, but years ago when I did was into it I probably would have done several things to your case.

I chose an "anodized" blue theme, which fit my anodized blue waterblock perfectly. After that I took off my old chipset cooler and replaced it with an anodized blue chipset cooler which was manufactuered by Zalman. I also did it with my video card (Both GPU and CPU were watercooled). I used blue tubing for watercooling.

I bought Nylon sleeves and heat shrink and started stuffing all the unnecessary wires I don't use in in the nylon sleeves, and heatshrink the ends of them. It came out pretty cool.

I took out my IDE cables and replaced theme with rounded UV reactive cables. In result, my case looked pretty clean, no wires showing and what did show was a slick blue them. With my anodized blue cooling, blue tubing, blue sleeves/black heatshrink it came out pretty nice.

I bought two 12" cold cathodes, and velcro'd them to the side of my case, so you can't see them, underneath the window kit (which I regret making) and to the left of the window kit.

I also modded a 120mm hole into the top of my case for an additional exhaust fan. I also modded a window kit on my side panel. Additionally, I modded an empty floppy bay and used it as the device that controls my lights.

I also bought a new power button which when turned gives off a blue UV reactive light.

When the lights turned off, all the blue tubing in my case glowed with the excpetion of the black heat shrink that I had at the end of my nylon tubes. Light was going through the 120mm on top of the case I modded which gave it a decent effect as well.

All in all, it was a succesful mod that took a couple months of gradual work to complete. I look back at it now and ask myself what I was thinking. It's a waste of time, energy, and money. I don't really care for the looks of my computer anymore, overtime the nylon came off as well as a few other things, all I have in there now is my original blue watercooled tubing, anodized blue heatsink and waterblock, with my UV reactive rounded IDE cables.

I'm going to be building a new computer soon and it will have zero mods. :hs:

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

case rice = teh no.

Just clean up the wiring imo, try to hit as much of it as possible. I think that will make look it a lot better.

4. Madness

You're too late :fawkd:.

Already placed an order for some UV green IDE cables (round); a new power supply with uv green sleeves and blue led fans, and 2 cold cathode black lights from NewEgg.

Also real soundcard and logitech Speakers :o

5. Madness

I don't think I'll be cutting holes into anything (yet).. right now I just wanted to get everything inside looking better since the window on my case is pretty large. I just spent the last couple hours on newegg and I think I've got what I need to clean the clutter up and have it look "active". :hsd: Thanks for suggesting the cathodes though, wasn't sure if I needed them to get the cables to "glow".

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I used to frequent this website a lot: www.frozencpu.com