Case fan problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kiLLj0y, Jul 30, 2004.

1. kiLLj0y

kiLLj0y New Member

I just bought and installed 2 Antec Supercool Plus fans from Newegg and installed them into my case. Now, for somereason, the computer is running HOTTER! I turned it back off, verified the fans were positioned correctly, and tried again. Since the install of the fans, my CPU and NB temps are about 134F. The system temp was at about 104F, which is not that bad considering it is quite hot lately. Before the whole fun install, my last checkshowed the CPU running about 113 at idle (drops to like 98 in the evenings when it cools off in my house). So.. can someone please explain what the hell went wrong here? I have unplugged the fans, and the CPU remains running hotter than before. I'm sure this is going to cost a pretty penny to fix. :(

For reference... here is the most detailed listing of my computer parts I can think of:

Antec SOHO File Server case
    400W Antec Smartpower ATX12V PSU
    2x stock Antec case fans (exhaust)
    2x Antec Smartcool Plus fans (intake)
    MSI 865PE Neo2 motherboard
    P4 2.4GHZ 800mhz FSB
    1x 512MB DDR3200 ValueRam
    GForce FX 5200 128mb video card
    1x 80GB Hitachi SATA
    1x 200GB Seagate IDE100
    Lite-on 8x DVDRW
    Offbrand floppy drive

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

You've got air going in the front and out the back?

3. kiLLj0y

kiLLj0y New Member

4. ins3cure

ins3cure Old School Noob

I've read several studies saying intake fans at the front of the case are relatively ineffective. The fans at the back (exhaust) can get the job done on their own. I personally run one 80mm fan over my hard drives in the front and currently one at the rear and have no problems with cooling. Check the fan speeds if you can and make sure the new are not spinning slower than the old, if so that may be a contributor to your problem.

5. kiLLj0y

kiLLj0y New Member

The fans speed up/slow down based on the temperature in the case. Theres a small sensor attached to some wire, then detects heat, and adjsts fan speed. The 2 rear fans do not have this feature. But, like I said, the high heat problem remained AFTER I unhooked the 2 new fans. Seems as if the 2 new fans have caused an actual problem with my whole computer.

6. 194kw

194kw Guest

all i can think of is checking the voltage on the cpu. maybe a jumber got knocked loose and the voltage is up real high. this is probably a reach though.

7. kiLLj0y

kiLLj0y New Member

How could I check this? I do remember prior to the fan install, MSI CoreCenter said the voltage of my PSU was just over 12V, and with the fans, it would jump from 11.96 to 12.04. Prior, it stayed at 1 constant voltage.

8. 194kw

194kw Guest

actually your computer is relatively new which means that there are no jumpers for cpu voltage, ignore what i said. maybe the temp sensor is just screwed up. sorry i can't help, u might think about having someone look at it.

9. kiLLj0y

kiLLj0y New Member

Anyone else? :( I have major issues with letting someone I don't know touching my computer, considering the data that is on it.

10. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Most cities now have multiple computer service providers that will make house calls so you could at least keep an eye on them while they worked on it should you need to call "the professionals".

11. kiLLj0y

kiLLj0y New Member

A friend told me that some how, it could be that adding the extra fans could of been a jolt to the CPU, and damaged the thermal compound. OR it could jsut be a coincidence that the CPU now runs hotter than it was. I'm going to try and buy some Artic Silver today. Does Best Buy carry it? :dunno:

12. no1god

no1god New Member

dod you have a fan in the side panel

13. kiLLj0y

kiLLj0y New Member

No side fans, just the two stock exhaust fans in the back, and now the 2 new fans in the front.

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Have you tried removing the new fans? If they adjust for heat, but the exhaust fans don't, they may be impeding air coming into the case, and the non-adjustable exaust fans are creating a low pressure area inside the case. Unhooking their power but not removing would just make it worse. Lower pressure can reduce heatsink performance and cooling capacity of the system (it really depends on your setup though). The new fans would really have to reduce the total CFM out the exhaust though.

You may also try removing the temp feature (check the fan instructions) and run them at full speed to see if it improves. Might be too loud to keep it that way though.

15. kiLLj0y

kiLLj0y New Member

No instructions came with the fans. I hooked them up and placed the sensors right by the NorthBridge and heatsink, in hopes of making them run at their highest speed.

16. jrwfz5

jrwfz5 New Member

is the case mostly plastic or metal. If it is metal then maybe the fans in the back are sucking out the cold air from inside of the case transmitted my the cold metal. Ive found that metal cases generally dont need as much cooling than more plastic ones