GUN Case cleaning

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I'm looking at case cleaning equipment. I have a very old rock tumbler that might get cleaned and used, but I've been looking at new equipment as well. Frankford arsenal makes a cheap tumbler that I could easily afford. The other thing I have looked at, is something my father was talking about the other day. Jewelry stores have ultrasonic cleaners that use a liquid suspension to clean light metals. we figured brass would be a perfect metal for one of these. These machines are dirt cheap online, and the cleaning liquid is rather inexpensive as well (denture cleaner apparently works).

Anyone have any recommendations for case cleaners?

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Ultrasonic cleaners do work well on brass but then you have to dry it and even the cheapest harbor frieght one isn't any cheaper than your average vibratory tumblers. I'd just go with the boring stuff.

3. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Waiting for shit to dry sucks when you want to reload some shit in a hurry. I use liquid cleaner and just shake them around in a plastic tube for a few minutes.

4. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I read up a little on someone else's experimentation with cleaning solutions and methods, too involved for me. I'm probably just going to buy an inexpensive vibratory tumbler, or clean up this rock tumbler I have first and give it a whirl.

Drying would be annoying, it would add more time and complexity to an already long process.

5. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

hell,
    if i had a tumbler I would just let it run for a while, throw out the media and be good to go. I wouldnt go ultrasonic. Its slower and a real pain in the ass.

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

This is probably what I will end up doing. I think the motor in it is still good. I haven't even seen it in years, I hope that it is in good enough shape still. Worst case scenario I spend $40 on a vibratory tumbler I guess.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think walmart or petsmart or something is supposed to sell big bags of walnut shell bits to use as reptile bedding, rumor has it that it makes a great media. It'd probably let you try the rock tumbler out without having to order anything online.

8. Camp OTE

Camp OTE New Member

It's $3.95 for a big bag at Walmart. Much cheaper than what "polishing media" costs and it seems to be the same thing. I use it with a little Meguiars swirl free polish (I think its like #82) in my vibratory tumbler and my cases come out looking great.