CART is dying

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 2DR Vette, Sep 26, 2002.

1. 2DR Vette

2DR Vette We don't freestyle the Eyes of Texas, Big Boy.

:crying: :wtc: :crying: :wtc: :crying: :wtc: :crying: :wtc: :crying: :wtc:

• Da Matta is going to Toyota
    • Franchitti is moving to the factory-backed Honda/IRL team in hopes of snagging Villenueve's seat in 2004
    • Castroneves and DeFerran and Team Penske are already in IRL
    • Michael Andretti wants to head to IRL, jsut as Mario is wanting to start a CART team.
    • Montoya left a while ago for Williams
    • They're moving to a spec engine bcause no engine manufacturer wants a piece of CART anymore

There will be no more good North American open-wheel road racing any more. This sucks. :(

2. Maz_6

Maz_6 New Member

Yes it does!!:wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc:

3. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Its been on life support ever since IRL left.

4. 2DR Vette

It did all right for a bit there, but now it's gone to hell. I guess it's true- Americans only like ovals. :wtc:

How th ehell did IRL, with it's slower cars, oval-only format and shitty drivers beat out CART????? :confused:

5. Foo

Foo Could I have been anyone other than me? OT Supporter

:gives: x 43143543152

6. Maz_6

Maz_6 New Member

u must be one of those rednecks that goes around in circles all day :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7. Balzz

Balzz Guest

Dario will not have any chance going to F1 from IRL of all places...

8. Foo

Foo Could I have been anyone other than me? OT Supporter

even balzz getting his CCIE cannot save a shitty racing league.

:o

9. Balzz

Balzz Guest

It was all in vain. :wtc:

10. 330R

330R New Member

nope. as recently as last year, CART was doing better than the IRL. things have gone to hell in the past year. it's as if the tables have turned 180; except now CART is in worse shape than the IRL was. i blame a lot of this on the piss-poor management of that guy (can't recall his name) who was replaced at the beginning of the year. he was running CART into the ground, and didn't even have a racing background.

btw they're going to a spec engine because CART fucked itself by changing the engine formula in its rules for 2003 and wasnt nice enough to let the engine manufacturers know until late 2001, which severely pissed off honda and ford... toyota was already planning to pull out at that point though.

to add to the list in the first post, also don't forget the recent news that KOOL is pulling out of auto racing sponsorship completely, which impacts the Team Green/Andretti team highly.

11. AlkyHauler

AlkyHauler Do you feel lucky punk? OT Supporter

So how many cars they gonna have next year? 12?

12. 2DR Vette

ASSumptions, ASSumptions, ASSumptions...

:fawk:

13. Balzz

Balzz Guest

One more to add to your list:

Alex Yoong may be going to CART.

14. 2DR Vette

Just because it's not a bunch of fatass sweaty men in pads slamming into each other... :fawk:

15. Torch

Torch Guest

They should not have split up in the first place. I stopped watching a while back.

F1 is the only way to go.

16. Maz_6

Maz_6 New Member

Why not ??

17. 2DR Vette

I think he's hoping for the Honda backing, and pioneering thier team there to translate into a test drive and a spot. :dunno: Beats waiting for them to abandon his ass in CART. :o :(

18. 330R

330R New Member

its all over now :(

19. Maz_6

Maz_6 New Member

he he.....:rofl: :rofl:

20. Balzz

Balzz Guest

I don't see it happening. I think teams will prefer a younger driver from a junior formula over an IRL driver.

21. 2DR Vette

What about an IRL driver with a heavily CART, road-racing background? I dunno- I think he might have a chance. He's raced in the bigs, he knows how to handle the pressure... :dunno:

22. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

There's no room for two major open-wheel racing series. Not with NASCAR hogging up the country.

IRL has been doing some good marketing showcasing the very close finishes they've been having recently.

CART shot its self with its management last year by pulling off some rather stupid moves.

IRL sticks witht he ovals, and does a good job.

CART tried to do both, but it didn't work. They should have stuck with just road courses.

With F-1 coming to the US, suddenly America's need for a road racing open wheel series was quenched.

Meh who cares, I'm waiting for teh WRC to come to America! :big grin::big grin::big grin:

23. Balzz

Balzz Guest

The F1 driver market is saturated as it is. If it happens, I'll eat my words. Until then, I don't think it'll happen.

24. BoogieKnight

BoogieKnight Active Member

The IRL is winning the war because Tony George (owner of the Indianapolis Speedway) spent 100's of millions of dollars to prop up the league and its teams. CART, being a publicly trade company, can't take a shit without stockholder approval. The IRL also has the Indy 500. (Used to be) One of the most recognizable races in the world. But, its ratings and luster around the world are sinking like the Titanic. Nascar's Coca Cola 600 on the same day gets way higher ratings.

End result of this war: Open Wheel Racing in the US is close to death, with musclebound Nascar giggling like a little bitch, pointing its finger at two retarded, cripples having a slap fight.

The IRL has only one mission: Destroy CART. The "All-Amurican," All-Oval" format was a ploy to get some xenophobic fans to come their side after the split (1995). The cars are built for show. Extremely high downforce and minimal horsepower and not to mention conveniently placed, "debris" yellow flags allow for those "record" finishes. The cars are so easy to drive that a amatuer racer/dentist was able to qualify for the Indy 500 a few years back. The league gets NO RESPECT from the F1 community or any other serious premiere level league.

Check out what Mr. Jacques Villeneuve said about the IRL:
    http://www.indystar.com/article.php?pit26.html

The league was, in concept, a good idea. 1. Give talented American drivers a chance to race in a premier open-wheel league. 2.Equalize the equipment so that the little guys can compete with the big dogs. But that is changing too. The little guys in the IRL are now in the same state as they once were before the split, especially since "Honda" and Toyota are coming over. Big teams get all the choice parts and research and development. Also, the league is now going to Japan and thinking about road racing at Watkins Glen and IMS road course. If you think that the IRL is slow now, what until Sarah Fischer and Billy Boat tries to take on the esses at the Glen.

The IRL may have Tony George's money, Nascar and the ISC's blessing, Honda and Toyota, and the momentum, but the one thing IRL doesnt have is a solid fan base and respect. You cant buy that. Except for the 500, Texas, Chicagoland, Kansas, hardly anyone goes to their races. Those that do had to buy an IRL ticket along with their Nascar ticket as part of the tracks season package.

I HATE THE IRL. It's so... :greddy: