GUN Carrying on campus?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dano, Aug 2, 2008.

1. dano

dano OT Supporter

I know it's against the law and all, but how many of you actually do carry on campus if in college?

I'm up in the air as to what I'm gonna do. I know we're legally not allowed to, that's not the question here. :o

I think I'd rather carry it and not tell anyone and if I need to use it, that means it came down to a life or death situation and I'll take the legal punishment for having it on me rather than be dead. If I never tell anyone I'm carrying I don't see how it could be made a big deal.

I'm still not 100% on this. I just know concealed carry on campus will never make it through legislation before I graduate in May so if I want to do it, I'm going to have to go against the law here and I'm not a law breakin' citizen, but I want to be safe too.

This does not mean I would also be carrying in bars, etc. Just school. I'm there almost all week every week when school starts up again in fall.

EDIT: I also go to school in Detroit and people get jacked all the time at gunpoint or what appears to be gunpoint, so I'm not being overly paranoid wanting to be armed on campus.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

(well it isn't against the law everywhere...)

How about just having it found for some dumb reason and being kicked out of college?

Your thinking reflects the old "judged by 12 than carried by 6 philosophy." It sounds nice but there are more potential outcomes. Just be sure you consider that your shirt may ride up when you pick up your backpack, you might bump into someone who notices, you might hit your lecture seat with it, etc.

3. dano

dano OT Supporter

I know, it would be extremely important to never forget I'm wearing it. Instead of having it super easily accessible in the holster inside my shirt, I might have to consider wearing an undershirt and tucking that in over the holster. It makes it less accessible in an instant, but I could still get to it.

I would have to go back to my car and leave it if I wanted to go to the main library.

Lots of small things to consider for sure.

4. ddgbosi

ddgbosi Guest

Easy way to get kicked out of school, and go to jail.

5. SNDP

SNDP New Member

It sure as hell is NOT against the law in Utah. When we had a scare about a possible shooter last summer, security came around and said if this guy shows his face anywhere on campus, call security or 911 immediately. I said to the guy if he starts any trouble in this classroom, we'll call the coroner. A couple of other guys nodded in agreement and I got a "hell ya' from one of them. We knew. The rest of the class was oblivious to the meaning, but I and the other CCW permit holders in the room came to an immediate unspoken understanding.

6. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

It's illegal on the College of Charleston campus. So I would never carry on campus.

7. Paintballer

Paintballer Choo Choooo....

I've carried on campus a few times when I went.

8. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I've carried on my college campus many many times - all legally.

9. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

exactly. keep that shit in a pocket holster in your backpack. and sew the fuckin holster in the backpack. thats how I would rock it

10. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

IMO the risk isn't worth it. The only way I would ever consider carrying on campus is in a backpack. When you carry on your person there's just too much risk of being caught in a situation other than a crime. Say you get in a car accident on campus and the paramedics find it on you in the ambulance. Or a student sees you printing and reports it. Or you neglect your backpack for a minute and it's turned in to lost&found.

BTW I'll be in Royal Oak this weekend, SO is in the hospital. :hs:

11. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Unless MSU directly prohibits it, you can carry on campus - just not into a classroom or dormitory.

12. xpinchx

not rly

And this is for employees but I don't see how it would be any different for students.

13. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

if you are that worried about it there are places that carry on campus is NOT illegal. Perhaps you should apply/transfer to those schools rather than risk breaking the law and getting put in jail/expelled.

Seems more worth the effort to move to a location where it is allowed than spending every day doing it where it isn't and trying not to get caught.

14. Keesh

Keesh New Member

99.9% of college students are going to have a hell of a time telling you pocket carry.

15. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

I would carry it in a backpack/bag that has a seperate compartment you could use. You never open that zipper unless you are going for the gun.

16. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

Nothing too serious, I hope. :hs:

17. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I had the same question this past year.

I decided not to. Getting kicked out with one semester to go wasn't worth it to me.

18. dano

dano OT Supporter

Many good opinions in this thread. It's very hard to decide with the vast amount of positives/negatives.

I don't want to get kicked out my last year, very true, but I don't want my last year to be the year some kid goes nuts and shoots the place up, or be the year my luck runs out and someone tries to rob me at gunpoint. What's the odds? Very low, of course, but you just never know.

I like the idea of having it in my backpack better than carrying it on my person, but it's 100x more likely someone would jack my backpack before they try and rob me and jack my wallet. I'd be kinda pissed to know they took my hundreds of dollars of books, plus my $500 gun. And it'd be registered in my name. No good could come from that.

It is sounding like a better idea to just leave it in my glovebox, but damn I wish I could legally carry on campus. Damn you bastards that can lol.

19. dano

dano OT Supporter

For real son. What happened?

20. Landfill

Landfill New Member

I kinda go by the whole "If no one see's it, its not there" theory, but really it comes down to what you think you can pull off. If you know you can keep it concealed and no one will ever know you have it or will ever see it then it will never be an issue, just take your precautions to where you go and what you do. However I am partial to carrying my gun on my body over a backpack, just for the reason the backpack is not secure someone can mess with it if you are not paying attention and may see it in there, not to mention if it gets stolen and your gun is in there you can be held responsible for what happens with your gun after that. I never had shadowing issues with a good IWB holster and a dark t-shirt.

21. more off

more off Moderator

i carried mine to school the last year, never caught

had a secret compartment in my bag :o

22. xpinchx

Real bad crash, she broke part of one of her vertebrae but it's nothing serious. She's expected to be discharged today.

edit: It was on the news, they were in the white SUV and got T-boned by someone going about 70mph. Sounds like alcohol wasn't involved, probably just a distracted driver. The life-threatening injuries I'm pretty sure was the driver of the other SUV who supposedly got ejected. They had to cut my SO out with the jaws of life, you can see the passenger door of the SUV is cut off. :hs: She's fine now though, in quite a bit of pain though.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/17060222/index.html

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  23. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

I never have - if I was a woman though I would and if I had a daughter I'd encourage her to.

24. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

Some good input in this thread; I say if you are that concerned for your safety, go for it. Just be smart about it.

I would recommend something like a .380 in a pocket holster, though. Very small, can be very lightweight, and still pretty accessible if you need it. Plus, if you were getting robbed, you can play along and then BANG, shitbag doesn't know what hit him.

25. dano

dano OT Supporter

:eek3: Wow, she better be counting her lucky starts man.