GUN Carrying in your car

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dano, Aug 7, 2008.

1. dano

dano OT Supporter

Is it legal to carry my handgun next to my driver's seat, stuffed between the seat and center console? It is visible from the passenger side window because the center console is pretty shallow.

I have tried searching and could only come up with this Michigan law, but it's pretty vague:

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

I have my CPL and Michigan is an open carry state, just not sure where this fits in with vehicles and what not. Clarification, anyone?

I discovered this week that having my gun stuffed in my waistband without a holster (still waiting for my MTAC) is fairly uncomfortable on long drives. :mamoru:

2. dano

dano OT Supporter

Just found this one too. I read it as it is legal to carry my gun on the frickin' dashboard if I want.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(spwuu2b2fkfxpw5505tsrz45))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-28-425c&queryid=5449278&highlight=act+381

28.425c License; form; authorized conduct.
    Sec. 5c.

(1) A license to carry a concealed pistol shall be in a form, with the same dimensions as a Michigan operator license, prescribed by the department of state police. The license shall contain all of the following:
    (a) The licensee's full name and date of birth.
    (b) A photograph and a physical description of the licensee.
    (c) A statement of the effective dates of the license.
    (d) An indication of exceptions authorized by this act applicable to the licensee.
    (e) An indication whether the license is a duplicate.
    (2) Subject to section 5o and except as otherwise provided by law, a license to carry a concealed pistol issued by the county concealed weapon licensing board authorizes the licensee to do all of the following:
    (a) Carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person anywhere in this state.
    (b) Carry a pistol in a vehicle, whether concealed or not concealed, anywhere in this state.

3. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Sounds like it's ok, if you've got a permit... which you do.

4. lt1_kid

lt1_kid OT Supporter

It is legal if you have a CPL...........HOWEVER.....
    I would conceal it because you are gonna get a gun screwed in your ear if a cop stops you. If it is concealed you can tell the Officer you have a CPL, the location of said weapon, and present your permit and ID to him.
    If the weapon is not concealed do not think the Police Officer is going to kindly ask you if you have a CPL for the weapon that he sees (Especially in Wayne County).
    Just my $.02
    :hs:

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

Yup, perfectly legal with a CPL.

If I'm going to be in the truck for a long time I take my holster off and stuff between between the drivers & middle seat (split bench seat) and just put a hat or pair of gloves or whatever over the grip.

6. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

Yessir, perfectly legal.

If I'm driving by myself, I almost always take mine out and let it ride on my seat, just next to my leg. If I were to get stopped, I would simply place it in the console and then inform the officer about it right away. I don't want him to freak out when he sees it out in the open. (just concerned about my safety and getting shot)

7. dano

dano OT Supporter

The ol' SVT doesn't have a center console. I'd be forced to grab it and shove it under my leg, which IMO, would be no better a place than having it where an officer can at least see it as I state it's there, with my hands having a death grip on the steering wheel in hopes I don't get capped. :mamoru:

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Different state but I also have a CCW. I learned this from my cop buddy. He kind of sits on the pistol (works better with glocks). He places it under his right thigh (right handed). If bad stuff went down he can get to it immediately. Turn the pistol on it's left side facing down grip towards your hand. When you pick up the gun make sure you keep your finger off the fucking trigger. Gun is out of sight but very accessable.

I guess if your stopped by a cop and after you show him your CCW, CHL, etc if he asks you to hand over the pistol. Explain your sitting on it, it's on the seat and it would probably be best if he would let you get out of the car real slow with your hands visable. Then he can pick the gun up off the seat.

9. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

You have your CCW in California?

I always wondered if it would be legal to keep the gun locked like it states in the law but with the key in the lock and loaded mags next to it.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

despite what people believe you can get a CCW in CA if you live in certain counties. Orange, Riverside, ventura, and Kern County are pretty reasonable. Of course LA and SF are really really difficult.

Regarding pistols in cars in CA w/o a CCW. Pistol must be in locked case, magazines are suppose to be unloaded, and seperate. Loaded pistol mags are a misdermeanor. Your trunk qualifies as a locked case your glove box does not for whatever reason.

A shotgun can be loaded and sitting in the back seat. It is not illegal but of course the cop pulling you over will not know this. Will try to find something to charge you with going over the books to find it but it's not there. Rifles iirc do not need to be in a locked case, and rifle mags may be loaded.

Again law does not specificly state shotgun this or rifle that. Thus technically your not breaking any laws. It does specificly state pistol in locked case, truck counts, glove box does not. Pistol mags loaded is misdermeanor.

I got a long story about my homicide detective life NRA member buddy who is the resident gun law expert among our squad and LAPD. Short story farmer dude gets pulled over and loaded shotgun found. Cops bring him him in and search books but can't what they are looking for. They ask my buddy jim who says farmer dude is in the clear, no laws broken. They get pissed and try to find something , make up something, felony poor farmer dude for anything. Jim bets them $$$ to find where loaded shotguns not in case are illegal. Nothing found, farmer dude is cut loose.

Again people who know nothing about guns should not write gun laws.

11. KIDRR

Thanks for the info man, I have a truck so it's harder to abide by the "locking case" law

12. more off

more off Moderator

doesn't you glovebox have a lock on it ?

13. KIDRR

Nope

07 Tacoma

14. more off

more off Moderator

lame, my 94 pathfinder does. and my AK pistol fits in there :bowdown:

15. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

That's exactly what I do

16. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

This is basically what the Columbus PD tries to do to anyone who is open carrying.

17. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Do LA and SF respect other counties' CCW or do you have to stay in your county?

18. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

I would assume that it should be uniform statewide but that's just my assumption.

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Mine is good for California but not every permit is necessarily this way.

They can and have issued permits with restrictions where it is only valid in one county. This can be based on the reason given for need of the permit. For example if the reason given is that you transport large sums of money from your business to your bank.

The reason I gave is that I am a competition shooter that travels state wide and out of state with multiple firearms including legally registered assault weapons. I also work for a company that does gunsmithing and produces components for firearms where I regularly have demo guns or am transporting customer's guns to and from our facility. I need to protect these guns to keep them from getting into the wrong hands.

In orange and riverside county listing that you were a competition shooter and transported multiple firearms to and from matches was a good reason to need a CCW. Helped if you listed you traveled state wide and could document that you attended big matches such as northern and southern california state matches or sectionals.

20. SNDP

SNDP New Member

cops dig it when you try to hide things too. Talk about two good reasons to get a gun in your ear.

First time I got pulled over, pistol between the seats in an easily identifiable soft case... I stuck my hands out the sunroof which was already open, and when the trooper gave me the WTF look,, I said I have a pistol within reach and I would really rather step out of the vehicle. He said he appreciated me telling him that, and no need... License and registration and nothing special from that point forward.

I think if you make it clear what you have and your are intending to make it clear to the officer, they are cool and won't get too swat-team on you. Maybe they have you step out of the car just to be safe. I think if they realize you are trying to be cool, they will be cool back. of course there is always the jacktard exception looking for any reason to gank you from a car at gunpoint, cuff and stuff you, but I bet being cool and up front works with most.

21. Willie J

Willie J New Member

i had a gun drawn on me at 16 because of a CD case that was in between the seats. I got a lengthy apology, but this is after i shit my pants. Today I'm making a 9:00 pm drive out to the country with 2 ars and a couple of pistols. When I'm in my car i just lock them up in a trunk with the magazines unloaded, but then we take my friend's truck and its raining i put them in the cab. idk if its a problem because Texas extended the Castle Doctrine to your car, but i'm not expecting a cop from the BFE to know the new rules.
    You may beat the wrap, but you won't beat the ride

22. marstaton4

marstaton4 OT Supporter

I've never had a problem with getting pulled over and usually have my p3at in my pocket. Just give them my ccw with drivers license and if they ask where it is I just say in my pocket. Come to think of it I haven't gotten any tickets with it either. I think if you act like its not a big deal, it doesn't turn into one...

23. Keesh

Keesh New Member

CA thinks large sums of money are more important that most peoples life :bowdown: :ugh:

24. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Here in Nevada, we are allowed to carry our loaded guns anywhere in our vehicle, concealed or otherwise, without a CCW. The police department is also well aware and actually inform people of the fact that it is allowed. They do teach that when you are stopped, you have to inform the officer right away of where the gun is, and show them that it is registered (blue card).