GUN Carrying in illegal places...do it anyway?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SpicyMcVoodoo, Apr 29, 2006.

1. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

You're not legally allowed to carry a gun in certain places, e.g., schools, bars, racetracks, sporting events, etc. I've heard people argue that you should carry in these places anyway, assuming you don't drink, because you're not going to get caught for carrying concealed, and if you do have to use your gun, then you might have died had you not, and it's better to be in legal trouble than dead.

Truth?

I guess this argument would apply to concealed carrying in states where it is illegal to do so.

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I've been meaning to check but I've heard in LA at least it's a felony charge if you're caught CCW'ing in a place you're not suppose to be in. I want to check on that but I would not risk it.

3. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

Yea, it's a felony in TX if you do that. But again, what's worse? being dead or being a felon? I don't see how you'd ever get caught carrying in these places unless you actually pulled out the gun...so the risk of being caught without having to use the gun is pretty negligible. So really, the question is whether it's worth it to get a felony for having to defend your life.

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I mean, it's your choice.

Why risk being somewhere and having someone bump into you and feel the gun handle.

On the show Cops they caught some guy carrying an illegal gun because the cop was trying to get through a crowd and felt the butt of the gun...

One mistake and you lose ALL your guns...

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think the concern is what if you didn't have to defend your life and your cover garment moved, someone noticed you printing, etc? Now you're in prison. I don't live in a concealed carry state. On my day to day activities I think I'm far far more likely to get into a car accident and have an EMT find me carrying than I am to actually need a gun. Its a complete tragedy to think some places rob you of your right to defend yourself, but I wouldn't underestimate the possibility that your concealed weapon might not stay concealed all the time.

6. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i wouldn't do it.

7. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

I wouldn't do it either, I know some places have metal detectors around here you'd have to get past, but even if they didn't, I wouldn't want to risk losing my guns forever.

8. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

Stuff like that is what gives concealed-carriers a bad name when trying to pass CCW laws. That said, I would seriously consider doing it depending on the circumstances (that is, if Madison, WI wasn't a liberal bastion.)

9. jonny427

jonny427 Scooby Doo OT Supporter

I wouldn't do it, unless i felt really threatened. But i'd rather avoid putting myself in that situation.

10. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I don't understand why you would. Do you really feal so defenseless without a gun that you would need to carry in a school, stadium, airport, etc...?

No, I won't carry in those places. It's not worth the risk to me.

11. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I'd be to afraid to be caught and lose everything.

12. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

:werd:

I can usually get myself in enough trouble with the law without also having a deadly weapon on my person. :o

13. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I wouldnt do it

14. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

:werd:

Not worth the risk.

Sure you can be "defenseless" in those places but if you get caught, then you lose all your guns.

Then you won't have ANY guns to defend yourself with.

15. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Yeah honestly, it's sad if people feel that defenseless without their guns on them all the time. I think some of you become to dependant on them.

16. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I guess I don't get the difference between wanting to carry on the street because something may happen and wanting to carry in a school or bar because something may happen there. Do I feel defenseless without it? Well not completely but people have been known to shoot up schools and I can't use bullet time yet. Ever have anyone rob you in a stadium bathroom or some guy follow you down the street to your car after the game? Honestly its just the best general self defense tool available, why handicap myself? I'd carry it everywhere I wore pants if I could. It seems like you're trying to turn it into a machismo thing to go without.

17. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

18. Aviator

Aviator Banned

I dunno, I'm mean you're right that crime can happen anywhere. But I'm still torn between thinking that carrying is a good idea, and also that it's not at all necessary and it gives you a false sense of security(because chances are you over-estimate your abilities with your gun and either a)will freeze up when the time comes to use it or b)will be caught by surprise and won't have a chance to use it) But that might all be because in my 24 years I have never been attacked, seen anyone attacked, or known anyone who was attacked. Your perspective is usually dependant on your own personal experiences. :dunno:

On a side note, I'm excited to be purchasing a Sig 229 soon, my first handgun. :bigthumb:

19. Gimik

Gimik New Member

People ARE attacked. Every day. Several times a day. You can of course assume it will never happen to you, but I'm pretty sure everyone that is attacked thinks something like that.

Sure you may never get your shot off, and you may overestimate your chances with a gun. But if you don't get attacked and you have a gun, it's no big deal. If you DO get attacked and you DO NOT have a gun, well, then your choices are more limited, aren't they. I would hate to be in a situation, or have my FAMILY in a situation where I was thinking "if I only had a gun, I could have done something."

The big thing I've never understood is why people trust criminals with their lives. That's really what you're doing. You're saying "if I do what he says, he won't hurt me. I trust him not to hurt me." This type of thinking is illogical and dangerous in the extreme. It's a sheep mentality.

20. Aviator

Aviator Banned

I've never thought that. I've always thought that I could defeat a criminal without a gun. I think people that think they are only safe from criminals when they are armed have seen too many movies. REAL criminals are fucking stupid.

21. I really do not understand the "false sense of security" argument. The only time this is a bad thing is if you are the criminal. If you are defending your own self and freeze up and don't draw or surprise attacked, how would NOT having a gun have changed anything? A false sense of security is thinking that you have a better chance at surviving an attack if you are unarmed.

22. poonmonster

poonmonster OT Supporter

23. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

Depends entirely on the circumstances for me. In general, I avoid places that don't allow me to carry. I refuse to shop at the Katy Mills mall (fuck those liberal pieces of shit), I've all but stopped drinking, rarely go into a bar/club anymore (and always lock the gun in my car safe on the few occasions I do)... etc. etc. Remember, choosing to carry a concealed weapon is choosing a lifestyle. Sometimes it requires change.

PS: Even without the gun I still have several "self defense" items on my person at any time. As for the false sense of security, I'm not a big guy, just average, and I have some back problems. I do my best to avoid situations where that will even matter, but should something ever happen, i'd prefer to be prepared.

Also: As far as "over estimating your chances" or what ever. Get more training. Get more training. Get more training. The more training I take, the more I refine my skills, and the more I realize that it's very likely I will get shot/stabbed/etc. if there is ever a situation where I NEED to pull my gun. I've done a bit of disarming training, And the chances of getting shot while attemping it are high. Also, shooting someone is VERY unlikely to stop them instantly, and even if it's a fatal hit they can still be battle capable for a while, so they will likely be shooting back.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Take some training classes, that'll probably help you out a bit :)