GUN carrying and drinking v.ccw/daily carry

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by macbook bro, Aug 24, 2008.

1. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

obviously, getting drunk while carrying a gun is a bad idea (and possibly even a crime)

but if youre carrying a gun daily, and you drink... lets say... often... how do you avoid this? like if you carry to work, then go out after work? what do you do?

2. more off

more off Moderator

i quit drinking

3. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

probably not in the cards for me :o

4. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

absolutely can not drink while carrying in florida. i don't drink so it's not a problem. :mamoru:

edit: i have to take that back. i didn't see anything in fl statute 790.06 referencing intoxication. i'm sure they have to have something else on the books.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  5. more off

more off Moderator

i guess just leave the gun locked in your glovebox of your car when you're drinking. :dunno:

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't believe that to be true, at least for me. Ymmv.

Follow the laws, leave your gun at home if you're a retarded drunk or your state law requires it. Surely this isn't that hard to figure out.

7. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Does the law say you can't drink at all, or is it just that you can't be drunk (>.08 BAC) and/or in a bar?

8. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I figure if I'm only having a few and plan to drive home then I'll carry if it's legal where I am. If I'm going out with the purpose of drinking a bunch, the guns stay at home.

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

10. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

fwiw, in LA legal to drive is .08 and legal to ccw is .05.

11. Werm

Werm Guest

In MN the law is .04 (or was, I think they actually raised this). Either way I don't drink more then one POSSIBLY two if I go out to eat.

But yea, I don't drink in public very often, even before I carried.

12. Initial E

Initial E New Member

GA law states if you go into a restaurant with a firearm, you cannot consume alcohol. Bars are offlimits since they receive >50% of revenue from alcohol sales. Pretty restrictive, but it was far worse few months ago.

I personally believe that the slightest bit of alcohol on your breath will void your credibility if an incident were to occur.

I normally just leave the gun in my truck. If I'm with friends and we randomly decide to drink somewhere they have no problem with me locking my gun in their vehicle's glove box.

13. TigreTek

bar portion of an establishment is off limits for sure, i need to see the exact specifics on drinking.

14. TigreTek

15. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Let me put it to you bluntly (to everyone)

If you DRINK AT ALL even if you are under the limit, and end up in a situation where you have to use your gun, even if you don't fire it....

You are in deep shit. Alcohol on your breath and a firearm in your hand means you have a high probability of sitting in a jail cell waiting for a trip in front of the judge.
    Even if it's self defense, a prosecutor is going to use the fact you were drinking as an argument that you were not in control of yourself and irrational.

If you are going to be drinking, do NOT carry your gun. It's that simple.

16. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

yea, after hanging out with my friend the other night with my gun i decided to not carry while having alcohol. we ended up at the bar, and the jackass tries to be all hard in front of some girl and almost gets in a fight.

we leave the bar and hes like "if anything came out of it, you could have just pistol whipped him or shot him"

i was like :nono:

so tonight even tho im not gonna get shitfaced...i cant stop anyone im with from being a retard.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've never understood this logic. I shouldn't carry my gun if I'm going to have a couple drinks because it might be more of a hassle if I wind up using it? If I used my gun I did so because I thought the other option was something along the lines of dead. Isn't some hassle still better than dead and not hassled?

18. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Go for it. But as I said, the prosecutor is going to use the fact you are under the influence of the alcohol and therefore your judgement was impaired and in front of a jury, he's going to have a very good case against you.
    Their argument would be that while YOU thought the other option was you being dead, you actually had other alternatives that had you not been drinking, would have realized and taken.

You can argue this to kingdom come, I'm giving you the inside facts.

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Maybe I'm slow and I'm not getting it. Its better to not have a gun in a life and death situation so I don't face litigation after? As in I'm cold and dead in the ground but man luckily I didn't give a prosecutor anything to use against me? I'm not saying anything about a case or prosecution. I'm saying isn't it better to be able to defend your life and live to deal with whatever consequences follow?

The facts are that its better to just get killed? I'm assuming we are only going to shoot when we feel as though we have no options left.

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I drink with cops regularly. Right or wrong, everybody has a gun.

21. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

:werd:

22. +1

23. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

i personally thinks its ironic that you are prohibited from carrying in the places you are most likely to encounter a situation that calls for a firearm.

Bars / clubs / court houses / liquor stores / etc etc

I am not advocating carrying while drunk, but its completly retarded to say I can't go in this place because they sale booze.

I am a law abiding citizen, I went to the classes, proved myself worthy why should I not be able to carry into a bar or club? I hardly drink at all and never to excess, but I do enjoy watching my friends get shit faced and taking their money playing pool, but I have to be a sheep in order to do so its dumb.

Court houses and goverment buildings is another crock of shit, why can't we carry there again? Because its uncle sams property fuck that.

sorry for the rant carry on

24. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Exactly. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 and all that.

25. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

so tonight i left my gun at home, but after two drinks at the bar we went to go get some food [closing time] and outside watching all of the dunkards was two officers. i stopped and said "this may sound odd, but i just got my CCW and they didnt explain to me anything about restrictions, is it illegal to carry while drinking?" the officer said "No. if you are obviously in possesion of a gun and drunk out of your mind, may take you downtown, but as long as your not sloppy drunk there is really no law, its NH, live free or die". the second officer said the same thing at the end. lol.

before going out there was no law on the website i could find for residents of the state of NH. great state. the two cops and i had a good laugh afterward about some of the stuff that comes with the "live free or die" motto.

with that in mind tho...makes me wonder how many of those drunken morons there tonight had a gun on them?!

cliffs: no law in NH, any idiot and be drunk and have a gun.