GUN Carrying a switch blade

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 1200mk, Aug 21, 2002.

1. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

whats the law on switch blades? would it be illegal if it was in my car? couldnt i just say i use it for food? thanks .......btw i live in cali

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

As a general rule, if it is a blade of over 1in in cutting edge length and is opened by force of spring or gravity, it is probably illegal to carry without being a cop, military, or having a dangerous weapons permit.

"In your car" would depend on where it was in the car. If it is accessible by anyone from inside the passenger compartment (if you can get to it without getting out of the car), it is considered "on your person".

May very well be more or less strict in some states. Anyone from the People's Republik more learned on the issue?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2002
  3. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

In Colorado it is just a misdemeanor to carry and it is legal to own.

Not worth it in my eyes, with a good Spyderco, you are almost as fast brining it into play.

4. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

The fact that you live in Cali means that it's almost certainly insanely illegal to own one, much less if you were to carry it somewhere.

California is horrid :(

5. nordaim

nordaim Guest

IIRC, you can carry one of the new "legal switchblades" as long as it is 1 3/4" or less. Not too much blade there... If you are looking for a Cali Legal one, you can find them online.

6. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Guest

the fact that he lives in Cali means everything is illegal except breathing...

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

and you wouldn't want to do that either because of the smog.

check out the federal laws on switchblades, because they are the ones who passed the switchblade act, making it illegal to have on your person outside of your home any knife which is open'd by push-button, spring mechanism, or gravity (which means butterfly knives), and maybe something else. now, i carry a kershaw with the speed safe opening mechanism, which i consider to be legal, but if i ever get busted on a switchblade charge, i won't be ALL that surprised.

8. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky 06 08 33 35 36

I have a balisong, but I'll be damned if I'm going to carry it in public.....especially where I live.

9. Maxvla

Maxvla Guest

my friends dad has a quite large switchblade, but he flies on prisoner transports and has permission.