GUN carrying a knife

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MuffinMan, Jan 27, 2003.

1. MuffinMan

MuffinMan Guest

what is the law on carrying a knife, how big can it be etc etc, i am in ca but i would like to know what some general laws are. thanks

2. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

In general, anything under 4" is legal as long as its not a switchblade or gravity knife. Some municipalities have their own regs of 3.5", 3", etc.

3. Phreaxer

Phreaxer Guest

CA is 4" as long as you are over 18.

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

yeah, each state and municipality has is own laws. you may be able to carry a certain length in one part, but not in another. i know that in GA, it's a 4" limit, but in atlanta, it's 3".

5. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

Is that 4" blade length or OAL?

JK

6. MuffinMan

MuffinMan Guest

as long as it is not a switchblade you ahve to be the one who actually opens the knife such as one of those that has the thumb thing so you can open with your thumb(i hope that made sence)

7. MuffinMan

MuffinMan Guest

and anyone in the military or was this question is for you- is there a certain size in the military, or does it range from differnt job, i am particuraly asking about the nvy, hope you understand my question. thanks

8. footratfunkface

even autos are legal, by the federal swithblade act, as long as they are a single edged blade. double edged blades somehow count as an offensive weapon, and thus are under that law, whereas single edges are defensive, and are not under the law. stilletos off all kinds i believe are counted under the law. DO NOT take my word for it, because i am not a lawmaker, attorney, LEO, judge, or anyone to take legal advise from, but that is the law as i have understood it. most cops will probably arrest you for it, but there will most likely be no conviction. however, as long as it's not used in a crime, there's no reason for a cop to know you have it.

9. footratfunkface

okay, i take it back. the folliwing is the definitions section of the 1958 federal switchblade act. don't get caught with one, unless you're the law, the military, or a one armed man. even the one armed man has to have a blade of 3" or less.

As used in this chapter -

(a) The term "interstate commerce" means commerce between any State, Territory,
    possession of the United States, or the District of Columbia, and any place outside thereof.
    (b) The term "switchblade knife" means any knife having a blade which opens automatically -
    (1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle of the knife, or
    (2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.

10. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Yeah, the thumbholes and thumbstuds are fine.

When i visited the the sub base in Groton, i saw quite a few CRKT M16 series folders in pockets, so i'd guess that one's a sure thing. They're pretty inexpensive too, usually $50-70. Their longest blades come in just a shade under 4".

11. footratfunkface

i carry a kershaw blackout. the blade comes in at like 3.25" my old one, the kershaw avalanche, was 3 1/8" both have an assisted opening, but it's legal, because it takes your own force to begin the opening. it's my legal switchblade.

12. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

:bigthumb:

I have a whirlwind

13. footratfunkface

i hate the handles on these. the avalanche has THE best handle i've ever held. g-10 polymer, and the texture: it never slips. this blackout thing, it's all smooth, and the thumb stud is hard to hit. it's much more ungood than the av.

14. Ghost Load

Ghost Load i'll see your kidcarson and geekboy and raise you OT Supporter

i like my whirlwind. the handle is slippery though.

15. Ghost Load

Ghost Load i'll see your kidcarson and geekboy and raise you OT Supporter

i also have 22 dollar sodium lightbulbs around my business. the guy at the electrical counter told me the element inside of them make for a killer speed sharpener. he wasn't kidding. kind of short but better than anything i could buy. jfyi