GUN Carrying a Glock with a round chambered...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TriangleMan, Sep 2, 2009.

1. TriangleMan

TriangleMan What doesn't kill you is going to die

I have a Comp-Tac Minotaur holster for my Glock 19. It's awesome, never had a problem since I got it a few months back. Glock is stock, stock trigger, etc. I keep the mag full, but I don't chamber a round while carrying. I feel 100% comfortable with it on me without a round chambered. It's just like a weight on my hip, I don't feel any pressure of responsibility really.

While picturing various situations, I feel like carrying without a round in the chamber gives me bluff power but very little protection. Having to rack the slide seems like it would take forever, require 2 hands, and give the BG a huge opening to just bum rush me.

The thing is, some part of me feels like a huge weight would be on my shoulders for carrying a gun with no manual safety with a round in the chamber. Just the fact that a Glock is always condition 1 makes me just want to be extra cautious. I want to convince myself that I'll be as safe as I can be carrying with a round chambered. I like to keep the gun on my nightstand table in the holster, although I think I'd prefer it be unloaded while there.

What procedures do you follow in order to ensure maximum safety on the day to day with your loaded handgun? Do you ever unload the round from the chamber?

2. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

keep it in the holster and your finger off the trigger seems like it should do the trick

3. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

has to be troll thread

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

5. TriangleMan

Do you leave a round in the chamber 24/7? Do you ever clear it out at some point before or after your day of carrying? Do you store it in the open or in a safe?

6. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

21 feet, the average amount of distance an attacker can cover before most people can draw and fire their weapon. that's a hell of a long way if the guy has a knife etc. my revolver is ready to go on my hip, hopefully i can shave a few feet from that average if needed.

7. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

This is also why you dont just stand still

8. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Guns don't just 'go off' regardless of what every moron with an agenda would have you believe. Glock and other similar modified DAO pistols don't have active safeties, but they all incorporate passive safeties. Several mechanisms are in place to prevent the pistol from firing without the correct sequence of events involving your booger hook. Keep your finger off the trigger, that's all you need to do. Well, that and shoot it a hell of a lot more until you become more comfortable with it.

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

true enough.

this part isnt' directed towards you lancer
    but even when i carried my berreta i kept a round in the chamber, figure i might not have the ability to use both hands to chamber a round if i'm in a fight being attacked by a knife etc.

and if i don't put my finger on the trigger it won't magically fire so y not keep it chambered, and behold years of carrying it never did go off on it's own, not that you were saying otherwise

10. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

do you think your gun will just "go off"?

11. TriangleMan

I have heard that before, however that's going to depend mainly on how accessible the gun is. I can have mine out from under my shirt in, conservatively, a second tops. With a round in the chamber, I'm ready to fire. Having to rack the slide, I'm a dead man.

I guess that's probably all the justification I need :sadwavey:

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i'm sure there are people on this board that are crazy fast on the draw etc, but then again many carry ankle holsters etc and the average would change a bunch with some of those factors + level of training and practice.

i'm pretty sure my gun will be off my hip pretty quick too but who knows, maybe i'd fumble around with it if i was scared enough and it would take an extra second or 2....don't know till we have to do it i guess

13. TriangleMan

I guess what it boils down to is that I am slightly in fear of an unintentional discharge, not because I don't understand how the gun works or don't know about the 3 safeties my gun has under the hood, but simply because with a round in the chamber the gun is capable of being fired right then. With no round in the chamber, considerable effort is required to get it to actually spit out a bullet.

As you said, keeping my booger hook :)rofl: ) off the trigger ensures the gun won't fire. I just need to get my brain past all that I've heard from those with agendas.

14. TriangleMan

I've always wanted to test out the 20 foot rule with a squirt gun and a rubber knife but have never gotten around to it. Perhaps some testing is in order

15. Crossett

Crossett New Member

You shouldn't ever draw as a "bluff" and yes, racking the slide would take forever and be a huge disadvantage.

If you don't pull the trigger it won't fire. You shouldn't treat it any differently whether it's loaded or not.

I hardly ever take the round out of the chamber. I've heard conflicting opinions about this, rotating which round is chambered, etc. When I go to the range I always shoot what ever ammo is currently in the chamber/mag anyway. Never had any issues with it.

16. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

fastest ive done with my Sig was 1.08 seconds from surrender position to a round in center mass :dunno: i was at the range with my buddy's shot clock for a bit - i really need to get one of those myself.

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

it sounds like you just need to get more comfortable with the idea of carrying a loaded gun. :dunno:

just leave it loaded on the weekend around the house, then start doing it all the time.

it was weird for me at first but after going to a training course where EVERYONE was walking around with their guns loaded all day the whole weekend it didnt matter. you realize its not a big deal and its the natural state the firearm is SUPPOSED to be in.

18. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

19. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I will carry a handgun chambered that has no manual safety only if the holster I have covers the trigger. I need to get an IWB for my PF-9 come to think of it.

20. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

yes. no. in holster(s)

21. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

if you don't carry one in the chamber you might as well carry a rock

22. AB13

AB13 New Member

dude, when you are on a date and the chick brings you back to her place for a night cap, do you also leave the condom in your glove compartment? Surprise sex can happen to anyone anywhere bro, just sayin.

23. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Keep your booger hook off the bangswitch and it will be fine.

24. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

put mag in gun, chamber a round, put gun carefully into holster, top off mag. don't fuck with your gun until you have a good reason to. That chambered round is happy to spend the night in the chamber while the gun is in the holster.

The more you fuck with your the gun, the greater the chance you'll pull the trigger. Put it in the holster and quit worrying about clearing it everytime you sleep, take a shit, shower, make chinese food, etc.

25. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

not going to read the thread, but if you carry a firearm un-chambered, you minus whale not even carry at all