GUN Carrying a baton or knife....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jayhat, Oct 26, 2008.

1. jayhat

jayhat You have the personality of a dead moth.

I was just curious if anyone knew the rule in Washington State for carrying a expandable baton or what the rule was for knife carry (max blade length, fixed blade/folder etc)?

I have searched through the RCW a bunch and cant really find anything. There is stuff in there about firearms but not other weapons.

Here is the link to the RCW:
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

you gonna get mad fucked with an expandable baton, legal or not.

bad idea.

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I'm picturing a guy getting his baton taken from him, beaten with it, rammed up his ass sideways, and then getting legal shit for owning it in the firstplace.

Fuck a whole bunch of that. Don't be a pussy. Carry a highlander sword like a real man.

4. jayhat

I dont have one. My room mate was telling me that they were illegal to carry and I thought they weren't.

What brought up the convo was, I had a piece of heavy duty steel pipe (about 12" long 1/4" thick and about 1.5" diam) and told him I was going to put it in my car just in case.... he was saying dude thats considered a weapon and is illegal. I was arguing saying well what about those batons and he said they were illegal too. Its just weird you can carry a gun but not one of those... :dunno:

5. jayhat

I did find this in the RCW;

RCW 9.41.270
    Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm -- Unlawful carrying or handling -- Penalty -- Exceptions.
    (1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword,knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;

(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;
    (c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;

(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or

(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.

6. jayhat

So when I read this I thought it was an exception to the rule, Because its saying that it is illegal but does not apply to the following...

7. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Generally cops are going to give you a hard time about carrying an expandable baton, legal or not.

Knife is a different story depending on what type, how big it is, and how you carry it.

8. jayhat

Thats so weird that they would be so uptight about a baton but no a gun...

Last 2 times I got pulled over I told the cop (1) I have a pistol under my seat (2) I have a pistol in my backpack. It wasn't even on my person (which I think is technically illegal). I do have a CPL.

... and both times they were just like okay thanks for letting me know. Didn't ask for my CPL or anything. One was even joking about it and said "well just don't pull it on me and we wont have a problem" then laughed...

9. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Guns are protected and more than likely in your states constitution

collapsable batons are not

10. jayhat

True

11. jayhat

So is it illegal for me to keep that pipe in my car. They really couldn't prove what its for. I could just say its a cheater bar to help take the lugs off....:rofl:

12. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

I doubt you'd get busted for a pipe, unless you're threatening someone with it.

Maybe leave a ratchet next to it just in case :mamoru:

13. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

That's exactly what it's for.

You never carry a weapon. You only carry tools. That you were forced to use it as a weapon to defend yourself was entirely due to circumstance.

Knife laws in this country are far more rediculous than gun laws. They are deliberately vague and leave people in the dark as to what is actually legal, probably so that it can provide prosecutors leverage if they need it against you.

14. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Sure, if you keep it in the trunk. Flashlights are good if you want a solid impact weapon at close hand. But for that matter, impact weapons aren't in my use for force continuum. Avoidance, compliance, resistance....impact weapons are something I use as a last ditch effort.

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Been discussed. Leave a baseball bat in your car. It cannot be questioned. It is sports gear.

16. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

go a step furhter and throw a glove and a ball in there to cover your bases, pun intended :mamoru:

17. Keesh

Keesh New Member

heeeeeyoooo :rofl:

18. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

I've been curious about this too. I have a pair of them kicking around. I got them from some Cheaper than dirt special for a few bucks a few years ago. I have never carried them before but was wondering it was legal.

19. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

I have one that I sometimes carry, strictly to counter a knife/weapon attack. I wouldn't pull it just because some guy was talking shit or trying to punch me or whatever. I'd be swinging for the "green zones", aka large muscle groups like the upper arm and thigh in hopes of not killing the bastard...I've been in fights and I know that when adrenaline is pumping it's hard to think clearly..the tendency is to just react. Nevertheless, if I have a choice of facing down a knife wielder with a) nothing, b) a knife, or c) my 26 inch baton, I'm taking the baton.

20. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

The goal of pulling a weapon out isn't to piss them off, you better be trying to put him to the ground dead or alive so you can get to safety. Hitting his arm is not going to prove very successful.

21. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

:dunno: That's the way I was taught. I guess I should mention that I work security.

22. Thelonius

Thelonius New Member

hmm I do see your point though. If he's trying to stick me with a knife, the situation has obviously escalated, to the point that it's beyond me needing the baton for deterrence..yeah, I guess at that point I'd just be trying to drop the guy anyway I could.

23. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

in police academy, we were taught to swing for elbows, knees, biceps, thighs, calves, maybe shoulders.

In essence, major bones or joints that, if broken or dislocated, would likely bring about an end to simple physical combativeness.

Mind, baton was not taught as a response to lethal force. The instructed response to that was to draw a sidearm and drop him if he makes a threatening move.
    :dunno:

24. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

I kept a baseball bat in the trunk of my car, with two mitts and a couple of dirty baseballs. If questioned as to why I had them in the car I'd be like whoa hey, baseball dude!