MMA Carlos Machado Seminar, October 6

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Antigeek, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I signed up for it and wrote a check. What to expect?

2. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I'm glad you asked Russ... Here's what we did at our seminar.

It was two 2 hour sessions.

In the morning session, we started of with a mount escape to half guard. Then worked half to full guard. Then put the whole thing together.

After that we worked a butterfly choke from guard, and a simple sweep from guard. Then we worked both together... If you could get the choke, great. If not, get the sweep and go for the choke from either a mount or knee on belly position.

After lunch, we added an armbar to that, as well as a sidemount escape. Then we did some controlled sparring limited to just those techniques.

4 hours of grappling in an non-air conditioned dojo when it's 90 degrees out will kick your ass. I'm exhausted. But it was a blast and I learned a ton.

3. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

could you describe the techniques with a little more detail/flow? rather than "then we did 2 chokes from mount and learned a trick armbar"

4. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I'll do it tomorrow. I drank some during the LSU game and I'm exhausted.

5. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Butterfly choke:

From guard, grab the opponent's right sleeve with your left hand to control that arm, and the lapel with the right arm. Come up on your left elbow and reach as far up as you can to grab the collar with the right hand, thumb in fingers out. Come back down to guard, and reach under your right arm with your left hand and grab as high on the collar as you can, fingers in, thumb out. Pull your elbows in to close the choke.

If the opponent defends the choke, go for the sweep. Anchor your calves in tight from open guard, pivot up onto your left hip, grind your right knee across the hip as you sweep his right knee with your left knee. This should get you in a mounted position, still hanging onto the collar. Keep working for the choke. If you get rolled, do it again.

Another technique we learned was to get an opponent back into the guard if he attempted a standing pass. Left hand on the sleeve, right hand on the lapel, put your left foot on his hip and your right foot on his left elbow. Use your knee against his forearm to break his grip on your pants, then use your right foot to straighten out his left arm. Once he loses grip, pull him back to your guard.