A&P Careers in photography?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by StocksQuest, Sep 5, 2005.

1. StocksQuest

StocksQuest Guest

I really enjoy photography, and I am considering pursuing it as a major in college, but what kind of real job oppurtunities are there for somebody with a BA in Photography :dunno:

2. Christine

Christine Give us something gruesome..

3. mojito

mojito New Member

None, now go away :gtfo:

what kind of photography? every area has different needs. A BA will get you no where, its whether you know the stuff, how you market yourself, how good your portfolio looks, who you know, and whether you can get the job done on time and on budget every time.

4. StocksQuest

StocksQuest Guest

"For the more adventurous types who thrive on travel and a variety of experiences, careers in Photojournalism, Sports, or Travel Photography might be for you. These fields require very flexible hours, but they offer the rewards of being in the front-line of breaking news and big events; they ever can take you to the far reaches of the globe. These fields require creativity and the ability to make split second decisions about creating just the right shot. Photographers interested in these fields might work for a college or university as a public relations photographer, on a cruise ship, or for a newspaper or magazine. Often photographers in these fields work on a freelance basis, but there are full-time positions available as well."

:bowdown:
    now that sounds like a job

5. mojito

mojito New Member

it takes a lot of work to get a job in the industry, and even more work to susain a career. it isn't once you're in the door your set for life, you're constantly trying to get more work and whore yourslef out

6. StocksQuest

StocksQuest Guest

So bascially I'm screwed :)

7. Snowballer

Snowballer - Blissfully Insane -

It just seems there are too many people who want to do photography as a career then what the job market offers.

8. StocksQuest

StocksQuest Guest

:hs:

same with every other job market too. :wtc:

9. Snowballer

Snowballer - Blissfully Insane -

Not really. It's become such a fad that everyone thinks they are awesome at photography.

10. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I've managed to make a pretty good living over the last 30 years with my photography degree. However I'll echo what others have said, it's not the degree that counts, it's your portfolio.

I've worked as a commercial photographer, a newspaper photographers and a freelancer. I switched to cinematography years ago and never looked back.

11. StocksQuest

StocksQuest Guest

ok im going to cry myself to sleep now.

12. This man speeks the troof!

I have had no photography experience except using a disposable camera for the longest time. And It always killed me not having a camera because on any day I could be walking around town and observe something that would, in my mind "make a nice shot". So one day I just went out a got a camera, captured a couple of these "nice shots" and started showing them off online. Since the begining I've been asked to take pics at car shows, small events, and a friend recently asked me to do a photoshoot for her for Maxium Mag. The benefits are not enough to survive but not bad for a hobby.

I think the funnest thing is working at car shows though. You get press passes and you get to walk on the track where the cars are racing, (if you can handle the INTENSE amount of noise!) you can talk to the drivers, sit in their cars with them, (a photographer friend of mine went on a ride with a professional drifter at Formula D a few months ago:big grin:) anything you want to do within reason...
    http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2116004/i/other_shiza/pix/DSC09295.jpg

...You can walk under and on the stage where the bikini contest is, talk to all the chicks up close and personal. You can even go in the model tent and eat their food :)
    http://j.b5z.net/i/u/2116004/i/other_shiza/pix/DSC09373.jpg
    Or you can fight your way around in the wild obnoxious crowd full of horny dudes trying to get a good look at the chicks, but me personally I like to be close to everything.

But I wouldnt have the chance to have this opportunity if I wasn't friendly and I didn't know the right people. I'm not saying I'm the best photographer and I know I don't have the best camera but I definately agree that who you know, your portfolio, and how you market yourself are very helpful tips.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2005
  13. StocksQuest

StocksQuest Guest

Allright, thanks for all the input guys, especially scuter & 150.

I think I have enough information to make the decision to pursue something else in college

14. mojito

mojito New Member

you shouldn't let others talk you out of anything, but it is a career that takes a lot to make it.

you can always try and assist a pro to gain experience to do part time work or stock work or something

15. StocksQuest

StocksQuest Guest

Or just a minor in college, instead of major...

then again, I don't know what I wanna major in :wtcj:

16. Christine

Christine Give us something gruesome..

:werd: Kinda sucks. :sad2:

17. pmenard

pmenard Guest

Easy Photography Home Business!Earn $200+ Per Day Taking Simple Photos In Your Local Area! You will be paid very well to obtain this information for these companies. People just like you are getting paid $15, $20, $25, $50, and even $100 each and every time they take a few photos

Home Business Ebooks

18. mojito

mojito New Member

:gtfo:

Can you smell a ban?

19. Vaytan

Vaytan New Member

Personally I would love to be one for National Geographic. They travel to of the most exotic places in the world. And even the worst places in the world. None the less would be a great job.

20. mojito

mojito New Member

National Geo is about the most coveted job in that industry. Rent the Movies National Geo - The Photographers and Through the lens

But the average person stays with them for a few decades, so it isn't easy to even get a foot in the door.

21. StocksQuest

StocksQuest Guest

working with National Geographic would be unreal :coold:

22. Vaytan

Vaytan New Member

Yes yes it would... But it is only a dream. :wtc:

23. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

you guys should check out 'Shooting The War' i think it was an IFC special, really interesting shit, and War Photographer, which is about James Nachtwey

24. angel_fiire

angel_fiire ******

OK....... I will be graduating in 2 weeks with an AS degree in commercial photography, mainly doing fashion, I've been very lucky or smart, to have contacted several photographers from the begining of my studies, now, I can tell you, from experience, and from the succesful profecionals I know, that photography is NOT an easy job. and it is defenatelly very hard to make a lving at it.

First of all, a BFA in photography is gonna take you nowhere. But you can try, now what I suggest is to research who are the succesful photographers in your areas, and try to assist them, it's not easy to assist. Ask them if maybe you could go watch a photo session. Sorry, before this try to figure out what kind of photography you would like to do, and then look for photographers. Learn as much as you can from the other assistants, they will tell you what to expect, and what to do. At the beggining is very hard, cuz most posebli you will have no idea how to use the equipment, and the "lingo" that they use between themselves.

First few jobs you will not get paid, then after you start learning the basic skills you will get more jobs.

There are assistants for all kinds of photography, but it basically breaks down like this

Commercial (Advertising, Editorial ( they pay very little for this), Corporate)

Consumer (weddings, portraits........)

My point is that if you want to be a photographer, you need to be an assitant first to learn the ins and outs of the industry. I've been an assistant for about 1 1/2 years, and It has been hard and fun, and it ussually takes assistants 3-5 yaers to go on their own and do their own photography. I know there are people who graduate and they venture in to photography right away, but it will be much easier if you assist, you will meet so many people who will later on become contacts, trust me, Look into assisting before jumping into the water.

these are two really good books about assisting

• The Photographer’s Assistant Handbook,
    The Photographer’s Assistant, John Kieffer,

good luck, and if you have any questions PM me

25. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Like 150, I had no photography experience or background when I landed a gig for Overboost.com and did freelance work for them for several years. I was already at the track and show events taking pics and racing, posting pics of twinturbo.net (Z forum). One day I ran across overboost.com's site and sent them an email since they were looking for a freelancer in the Mid-Atlantic area and showed them a few sample pics. I landed a gig and covered events in this region for several years until I grew out of the import scene. It was fun for a few years as a weekend hobby but all the travel eventually got to me so I settled down.

Anyway, it's not easy to make it a full-time job but there is potential if you are determined and you're able to market yourself. If you have connections in the business, whatever you decide to focus on, it definately helps but if you don't, just keep practicing. I always used P&S cameras but recently jumped into the digital SLRs now that I'm getting back into it, so I'm starting from square one again.