Careers in Fitness/Nutrition?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Patrick Bateman, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

Any you bros know how I can get a career working for a big supplement/fitness company? I am selling my businesses and want to use my bachelors degree doing something that interests me and see where it can get me. Any you guys in the know about anything? I'd love to do marketing or advertising type shit for a company like BSN, it would be a dream job.

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

you try checking their websites for job listings? most big corps list either that or some sort of contact info on their website.

3. Patrick Bateman

ive been e-mailing a few yeah.

4. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

include pictures (not shirtless in the bathroom mirror) because in that industry looks are very important...

5. Patrick Bateman

I got professional pics. But yeah, the pics are the best part of my resume because I dont have experience in that field :(

6. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

If you have sales/marketing/managment experience which you should since you owned a business it shouldn't be impossible to slid into that field.

Whats your degree in?

7. Patrick Bateman

Communication/Bachelors in Art & Science, fluent in russian, minor in it, and minor in graphic design :dunno:

8. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I'd go back and at least get a minor in marketing. It shouldn't take much more then a semester or two. Unless of course you have a bunch of applicable experience in that area from the business you own.

9. mandrew

mandrew New Member

10. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

going back and getting marketing minor is a waste IMO

I would see who does the ad campaigns for the companies you want to work for and get an in there.

A lot of marketing is putting together literature and mailing shit out. You don't want that type of job.

You have experience in retail and showing off your body (like at the short hills abercrombie)

I think experience and street knowledge > marketing degree in this case.

Not to mention marketing degrees are a joke in the business world (sorry marketing bros)

11. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

marketing is hazy field. I personally wouldnt go get a degree in it, because at the end of the day from my experience

a) half the people in marketing take it cause they want that kind of 100k job u see in the movies but have no creativity/etc needed for marketing

b) naturally talented and will actually do something in marketing and make big bucks

c) get a marketing job with no degree and excel at the job due to natural skill.

If you can talk, look presentable, are smart and creative no need for a degree that says you went to school for marketing but either have no idea how to apply anything or you just studied your ass off for it.

PB what kind of businesses do you own? if you dont mind me asking (pm if u want)

12. Patrick Bateman

nah bro its cool, i appreciate the info/help. its helping me a lot. I own two rental car franchises. Gas prices are killing me, ive made out very well, getting out before the winter season kills me with overhead.

13. deznutz

deznutz New Member

I am franchising a Golds Gym in the Eastern WI area

14. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

steroid dealer?

15. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

gay for pay, muscle worship, etc

16. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

I'm not trying to knock some marketing dudes but I wouldn't hire too many marketing people to lead marketing strategy for any company I'd own.

Just like I understand private equity/investment banks want engineers to do their math over a finance guy.

17. Hood Moses

Hood Moses I part the Black Seas...

I like this idea but i would rather set up something like DeFranco/Even Esh an prep athletes for the next level. But like DeFrancos article its a lot of work, just getting set up then, trying to build and expand the client base. You dont need a degree, if you know your shit, but it helps tremendously.

18. Patrick Bateman

I know a lot about the industry, I find myself to be smarter than a lot of fucking people I talk to that are supposed to be smarter than me, but how the fuck will I prove that without experience is my question. "Hay bros I post on mad forums and if you ask about me im Bateman and I know what im talkin about, also here are pics of me at surf club after takin a couple E pills bros, anyways I know mad shit about sauce too! hire me!!!"

:ugh: :hs:

19. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Honestly, you're going to be attempting to enter a field that has a lot of applicants. You need to be prepared to enter at the bottom and work your way up. You want to prove your skill? That is how you do it. Start off as a small fry and show the guys above you that you can handle responsibility and it would be in THEIR best interest to promote you through the ranks.

But of course, you need to accept the fact that you might not make bank for a while and might be someones bitch. Judging from what I have seen of your lifestyle that may be difficult unless you have some cash in the bank to hold you over for a couple years.

Going clubbing in Manhattan, doing rails of blow off of strippers tits, and spending $200 a week on food is going to be hard on an entry salary in the fitness/nutrition world.

That said... Start networking now and make some friends.

20. NUDES

NUDES New Member

its about a million times easier to make money franching a commercial gym than a athlete prep place.

21. NUDES

NUDES New Member

go to BSN or any other company headquarters. most people there don't workout at all except the sponosred athletes. you looking good isnt' going to really help you much IMO.

22. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

:werd:

The best way to do it is in rich white suburbia with lots of housewives that have nothing to do all day but spend their husbands money. You build a real nice fancy ass gym, charge a huge sign up fee and require a contract with somewhat reasonable monthly rates.

The mentality people have is they don't want to cancel their membership because if they deicide to join again they will have to pay the huge sign up fee so the money just rolls in each month and your shit barely gets used.

23. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Sell gear.

24. Juke Box Hero

Juke Box Hero Active Member

in for roid dealing

a PM would be nice. not for roids you know, but just to see everythings going good.

25. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

actually thats really good advice.

networking helps alot you should start going to more business/marketing type seminars if you see any spring up or to any fitness expo kinda deals

i think its mussel68 who goes to alot of the MMA stuff in fresno and he seems to get around with knowing a wide variety of people

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.