Careers in Computer Science?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KoolKeith, Mar 20, 2006.

1. KoolKeith

KoolKeith Guest

Doing some research here. College Major = Computer Science

Future Jobs? Sallary of jobs? Difficulty of major?

Anything you know, i would appreciate. Thanks

2. HS-Gravtron

HS-Gravtron Mmmmmm

I'll be graduating in December of this year with a BS in Computer Science.

Things vary alot depending on individuals so its hard to say.

Future jobs - most will go into software developement which varies a lot in itself. There are so many different kinds of software being produced that it all depends on where you wind up. But if you don't want to write code all the time and you have the motivatoin, you can go into most areas of the tech world.

Salary - Varies a lot on where you are. In general, you will be making decent money right out of college. With my bachelor's, I plan on making anywhere from 45k - 60k straight out of college with my salaray increasing as the years go on. But I am in a very expensive area, so these numbers will probably be lower in other places.

Difficulty - Once again, it varies completely from individual to individual. It really requires a certain type of mind in my opinion. If you have had some experience, and enjoyed it, then I'd say go for it. But if you're not a very analytical person then I'd say move on to something else. Personally, the first two years weren't too much work. These last two years though have been a lot more work but its all interesting to me so that makes it go by faster. Once again, I'm sure it varies from college to college.

3. KoolKeith

KoolKeith Guest

Is a 100k+ Salary reachable ( I know its not possible right out of college, but eventually) ?

4. samm

samm Next in Line

sure, look at any tenured computer science professor. They make over $100,000/year easily.

5. NEOxMorpheus

NEOxMorpheus Real OG

i graduated with a CS degree. my advice is to major in something you really enjoy, and not because of the salary.

6. HS-Gravtron

HS-Gravtron Mmmmmm

Definitely.

Edit - only if you like it. If its a job you just do for a salary you'll get burnt out real quick and probably won't have the drive/motivation.

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

A major is only hard if you don't like it. I love computer science, so for me, working hard on CS courses isn't a problem. I can put in as many hours as I need to.

As for careers, the job market is pretty decent and looking up. Enrollment in CS dropped tremeandously after the dotcom bust in about 2001, so there are still about the same number of jobs as there were in '02 or so, but this is one of the last years where there are lots of grads to fill them.

Like everyone has said, it's something you have to love. If you don't like it, or if it doesn't make you happy, you won't want to do it.

8. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

I have a degree in CS, and have been working now in the industry for over 12 years. All 3 of my jobs have been at large corporations (2nd was a Fortune 500, 1st a Fortune 1000 and now at a large global integrator/consulting firm).

Observations-When I graduated, there were over 300 declared computer science majors, but only 12 graduates my semester. Reason? Nobody could pass the battery of calculus required. If you really want it, you either have to be good at math, or study a whole bunch if your not (I'm not, and I studied around 3 hours a day just for my 3 calc classes).

If you are doing programming development/support, there is a good chance that you will be carrying a pager. I'm on call 24x7, and I wind up working some weekends and holidays, often at odd hours.

It can be stressfull. I'm a consultant now, which means I'm just the hired help, employed at the whim of my customers. They say jump, I jump. I work on a 24x7 operational application that has cost in the neighborhood of 100 million bucks, so needless to say, I'm pretty careful and protective of the data. And you know what? It's only one third-world-built scsi disk-array away from being bent.

Someone asked me a while back to describe my job, and my reply was "Performing logic problems while 10 people yell at you".

9. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Got my Degree in CS and i fucking hate it. Easy degree for me to get, but god damnit i hated working in the field.

I now work back at my University and Coordinator, Student Programming. Go Student Services! I now have 7 work study students under me who organize events & stuff for students. My big thing is to coordinate NSO & FYE! It's great!

10. KoolKeith

KoolKeith Guest

Yeah what worrys me in the math classes. I am not bad at math, but :ugh:

Makes me nervous.

11. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

BS in CS from a top 10 school w/ a very pretty bad GPA. Starting 57k as a software engineer for a Fortune 500 in the suburbs of the ATL w/ pretty low COL. Unfortunately I hit 60-70 hours a week on avg and somehow only got a meets expectations on my first review + below inflation raise despite hitting all deadlines, taking on lead developer roles, and working through my entire vacation.

The math can be a bear but it's pretty much the same in all engineering majors. There is also a distinct lack of growth for most engineering roles. They pay decently to start but if you don't get into leadership you're guaranteed slow wage growth. Most of the senior developers (10-20yrs) at my company make under 100k though the managers are around there.

Just make sure it's something you want to do. I did it for the money and it's not worth it considering the stress.

12. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Wow, your first sentance made me wonder how the fuck you even got into a top 10 school. :ugh: :ugh: I'd hate to see your documentation.

Btw, working for money = shitty life. I'd rather make less (I only make 44k) and be happy and enjoy my work then make more money and be miserable. A union and 35h weeks are good too with PTO. :wiggle:

13. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Given my work hours, I tend to take shortcuts when typing. 50+ emails a day about project management stuff on top of development duties and you'll see why. My documentation skills aren't too bad when I have time to do them.

The job wouldn't be that bad if management wasn't obsessed with being a public company. Quarterly earnings reports are the worst thing to ever happen to quality software engineering. The software I write/hack runs 10-15 billion a year for one of the largest retailers in the world. Having time to develop elegant architecture and well thought out documents would make me want to stay in engineering and money less of an issue. Instead, I'm saddled with managers who bow to our customers arbitrary dates(dictated by their fiscal calendar as well as ours) by shoveling as many marginal or offshore developers as possible to squeeze out unstable products that require massive rework at a far greater cost than we book.

My goal is now to ascend to a higher salary range as quickly as possible to fund entrepreneurial aspirations. It'll take a dozen years of beating sub par software into customer solutions before my ideas are taken seriously or I'm so obsolete all I can do are these asinine customer engagements.

14. CodyPGA

CodyPGA Just Point Me To The First Tee And Tell Me What Th

Where are you located and/or what area will you be working upon graduation?

15. MrMan

MrMan New Member

The computer science field varies. It all depends on what you want to do. Security is a big plus these days. I personally am getting into the computer forensics field. It's a field that lacks professionals and will be in demand (if not already). Of course, I'm getting into this field because I want to and not for the money.

16. jwynn

jwynn Yeah I Know I Dont Have Enough Posts

Security, Networking, AI Robotics = Future.

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Data Visualization is interesting. As is UI research. Databases are crunk. You can pick any area. But yeah you have to love it or you will suck.