SRS Career?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Roxy, May 17, 2007.

1. The Roxy

The Roxy New Member

I don't have the money for college at all. I had a shitty job and quit. Now i'm looking for another one but i feel even if i get one i'm going to end up with a fastfood/retail job the rest of my life. It's really depressing. if i had the money i'd go to college full time.

i've took about maybe 1 class per semester in the past and it would take me a billion years to accumulate a degree or graduate.

I live in a small town in the middle of knowhere in michigan. Nothing to do for fun and no big towns in sight for atleast 60-70 miles.

Any ideas for careers or anything that can amount to something without college degree? I'm willing to move anywhere to do this, plus i want out of michigan.

2. imraven52

imraven52 New Member

go to big city. get a cheap flat. get a decent job (2 rules: no uniforms, no foodz (restaurant, grocery store, etc)). work your way up from there OR go to college (even though i think it's overrated anyway).

3. Nanook

Nanook New Member

Get yourself into a trade apprenticeship. Its hard work, but you can make very good money and learn a skill.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

follow courses besides your job , gathering even a few diploma's is better then nothing, although easier said then done, its important to constantly try to progress in life. As others said move to a big city, you might not feel on giving up your current life, but reality is that there's nothing out there for you to gain in that small town.

5. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

Skill trades make A SHIT ton of money. Pipefitters.... at least 50k a year. Not a lot of people do skill trades anymore and there's plenty in demand. Go out, find if anyone willing to apprentice you into anything.

Other then that, try getting into clerical positions (Data entry, Admin Ass, etc).

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Do you live on your own? how old are you? Go to a state school you might even be able to get most of it paid for or there is nothing wrong with community college for a 2 year degree then find a job that will pay for schooling and go back at night to finish up your 4 year degree. A trade is a good option too a good pipe fitter or carpenter is hard to find these days.

7. KingKhai

KingKhai New Member

have you ever thought about applying for financial aid/scholarships?

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You mind will always make you more money than your brawn.

So you don't have the money for college?? Ok, do you have a library in your city?? Well even if you don't, you have the internet...a great resource for education.

Figure out what you want to do and go for it.

Also, most universities have Financial Aid offices and many, many people have to finance a degree. Most FA offices will work with you to find the financing you need. The US Federal Govt give grants that never have to be repaid but most people get loans.

Keep in mind, you only need to find enough money for the next semester (say fall of 2007) then worry about getting the money for the Spring sememster after you have the fall semester paid for. If you have trouble lining up funancing for a semester, perhaps you'd have to work instead of go to school but that's ok....many people do this.

The idea that you have to have 100% of the money for a Uni education before you even consider going isn't reasonable for most people and it's really a cop out. However, none of this is required for making big bucks. Start your own business and work your ass off.

Keep in mind, that most overnight success takes about 15 years to accomplish. :)

9. Socrates

Socrates New Member

At least 50k? That's what I do all day at a stainless steel tank shop and I make a little over 30k. Welding including.

10. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Tons of people never go to college because they make up the excuse "I can't afford it."

I am getting help from Financial Aid, which is paying for over half of my tuition. The other half, i'm taking out student loans that won't have to be paid back until 6 months after I graduate. By that time, i'll already have my job.

11. The Saggin' Nutz

The Saggin' Nutz New Member

get a job in public safety

12. awdboost

awdboost New Member

Have you ever contacted the financial aid department at any college. Plenty of colleges can assist you with a financial aid package that include grants, merits, and loans. Many state schools and community colleges have them.

If there is no community college near you, you should try to move to a city that has one or is close to one. Then contact the financial aid department. They will try their best to come up with a financial aid package to pay for most of your tuiton, and if there isn't enough they can sign you up for a loan. Then you can transfer to a state school after 2 years. :bigthumb:

13. SteveNC

SteveNC Member

Everyone seems to ignore skilled trades. It's always college or retail. Good people are hard to find. Everyone is looking for HVAC techs,Plumbers, and electricians. My HVAC technicians make $20-$25 an hour here in NC. I'm sure they make a lot more in MI since it's union. Get in the trades, beome a helper,work hard, learn, and you have yourself a career.

14. Phat_J

Phat_J OT Supporter

You are getting a fucked. A good welder these days with multiple certifications can make 25-30 an hour.

IRT #1
    I took time off of college 2 years ago. I went into the offshore drilling industry and still love it. We learn a lot and move up quickly. The industry is booming and everyone is hiring. I know for sure the north canadian oil industry is booming as well. I agree with the other people about some kind of trade industry. Even if you dont want to do it forever you can get some great experience

15. awdboost

awdboost New Member

You do bring up a good point but we are just bringing up other points for the OP.

I didn't mention skilled trade as HVAC techs, plumbers, and electricians because I wasn't sure if the OP was good working with his hands so he can between an unlimited amount of careers with college.