A&P Career that involves photography but other things?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by coughlin's law, Jan 6, 2010.

1. I like photography as much as anyone on this forum does, but I don't know if I'd make an exact career out of it -- I'd rather have it be one of my abilities than a profession. Also, I like to work with people and I have tons of ideas -- not just photography related ideas...

Would Marketing be a good choice?

2. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Yup, my last job was in marketing and I did a lot of product & race photography. Product photography gets mundane after a while, races are REALLY fun and once in a while you get a treat (like Rockstar girls photoshoots :naughty: )

It was a fun job (a lot of graphic design and crap too), but it was a really task oriented job and got mundane and repetitive a lot of times.

3. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

Best way to make enough money to buy good photography gear is become anything BUT a photographer as your 9-5.

4. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

For my business my primary focus is brand communication, graphic design and pre-press services for small to medium sized business. Photography comes into play for products and other things as well. It just kind of filters into it.

5. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

6. percent

percent deluded

I used to work at a tech company who did alot of online marketing. The company took a shit ton of product and location photos, but we had a dedicated photographer who was not me. I just got the memory cards after the shoot was over and went from there preparing the shots for web or print.

Ever since I graduated, I've been working as a biologist. For work, I take hundreds of photos every day i'm in the field (pretty much all year except winter). Between myself and 10ish people working with me last season, we took more than 20k photos. Probably 3-4k were taken by me personally.

Most aren't exactly artistic, but I take alot more photos now in a field I didn't exactly think would be photographic.

7. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I work as tech support and marketing for a small company. Occasionally I need to do some product photos since before, they were using a 3.0MP P&S :rofl:

8. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

I think turbodude makes quite a bit of money as a photog

9. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

though the journalism industry is semi-dying, if you can write well and take photos, you'll have a step up on getting in.

that was going to be my first job and then they cut it due to budget reasons. :mad:

10. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

I web design and photog on the side. Most my web contracts also end up using me for photography as well so i make 2x :bowdown:

11. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I do the same but with print and graphic design.

12. Waddup you?

Waddup you? OT Supporter

Id like to work in my company as a photog. there is only one dedicated guy, and he travels the world taking pictures of our turbine engines from various customers. I want his job.

13. Keiphus

Keiphus my dog eats bears

I work in the FX world but often times find myself doing something photography related. Marketing or advertising seems like a reasonable idea if you are a creative person and can deal with bullshit. :mamoru: