SRS Career, purpose

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by tDoYatRoM, Aug 22, 2009.

1. tDoYatRoM

tDoYatRoM New Member

Hello everyone, my first post here! :)

I don't neccesarily expect to find the answer to my question here, just a bit of advice.

I'm unsure what to do with my life, to give you some information about me. I'm a 19 year old male of european origin. I graduated high school a year ago and haven't attended college.

There are basically 2 areas where I could consider working in, comedy and working with animals.
    I like making people laugh and I like writing jokes and so on, and I like performing stand up comedy, but I don't think that I would like to tour around the country and perform at clubs and bars every night so it would be more comedy writing of some sort.

On the otherhand, I like animals a lot. I don't think I would want to be a veterinary doctor, atleast not one working in a clinic, also that would mean I would have to take exams again to raise my grades to be able to get into a college to study a vet course, which isn't even that appealing to me in the first place. I could picture myself working in with animals out in the wildlife however.

I have also thought if I could mix the two together somehow, maybe write about animals and at the same time make the writings funny for the readers to read, but I really don't know if there is any demand for this sort of thing.

I'm not sure what I want to do, both are quite big areas and there are loads of things I could do.
    You obviously can't figure out what I want to do since you don't know me, but do you have any ideas or thoughts?

2. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

I'm 21 and I have been struggling with that same problem since I was 18.

My older brother is 27 and he still doesn't know.

In fact, almost everyone I know either still doesn't know or they just gave up and took whatever came along. VERY few people that I have meet discovered that at an early age (like 19) and followed through with it and ended up living a long happy life.

So just take it easy and explore your options. One of the best ways is to look through the classes catalogs for a college and see what kind of classes sound appealing.

3. disley

disley Ooooh no it isn't. Ooooh yes it is. OT Supporter

Don't worry about it guys, I'm 58 and I still don't know what I'd like to do when I leave school.
    But something will turn up that you can stick it out doing. I went back to college and did aerospace engineering, then I spent much of my life working for an international airline. I retired from there.
    The last few years were spent at a facility that cared for research animals, and I enjoyed it.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I agree with disley....don't worry so much about it so much, you'll figure it out.

Here's the thing, no job has all good and no bad. Most people are looking for that. Noone wants to be inconvenienced or be stuck doing something boring and dull. However, every job has elements that are boring, dull and repetitive....that's just life.

Things I look for in a good job are:
    Do I enjoy the majority of the work?
    Do I enjoy my working environment?
    Do I enjoy my co-workers?
    Does this job offer me possibilities for advancement? (not necessarily up the corporate ladder. I'm talking about my knowledge advancement?)

Funny how money, or the lack thereof, will make you put up with shit you wouldn't normally think of yourself putting up with.

5. tibbar

tibbar aww fennec foxah aww

I have similar interests in that I like animals and I think I'm funny. But I am almost finished with a computer degree, and I feel like I regret it and wish I had gone with an animal focus. So what can you do, meh. Pick whatever and see how it goes.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

It sounds like me you would like to work in a zoo, and that would leave you enough time to do some stand up comedian stuff in the weekends.

7. tDoYatRoM

tDoYatRoM New Member

Yea maybe I'll do some stand up comedy as a hobby while also trying to improve my sense of humor, a good sense of humor is always good to have no matter what you do.

I don't think I would like to work at a Zoo, as I have never really liked the idea that animals have to live so restricted, but I think at the same time that Zoo does a lot of good things too. I would also like to do something that contributes more and also makes me more money.

Sometimes I wish that I knew exactly what I wanted to do. You sometimes hear how people knew there whole life what they wanted to do, I wish my life was like that.

I have just applied to volunteer at an animal rescue shelter or at an animal hospital. So I'll have to see if I like helping animals. I've thought that if I like helping animals I could start my own animal charity organization, althought, even if it turns out that helping animals gives me satisfaction, how much satisfaction would it bring me to be the ceo of an organization when I can't really see the results that much every day.

I sometimes read how people work to live, I would like to do pretty much the opposite, maybe not work is the best word for it but I would just like to find something that is my passion or purpose in life. Something that makes me get up early in the morning and stay up late at night.