Career Paths

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by korrupshun, Dec 16, 2004.

1. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

Spawned by the Network Diagram Thread (because some of us actually got to see just how well others are doing) and the consistency of questions regarding certs, schooling, etc. I figured it might be informative/interesting to see how everyone got to where they are in the industry. Might also preemptively answer some questions in the process.

Although i dont feel my work history is all that impressive, ill begin :)

Grad HS '98 and somehow had enough knowledge to do Tech Support for MS95.

4 months later was hired by Intel for a QA position. Did nothing on the side at this point but party and game (smart move i know).

When my 18 month contract at Intel was up i had saved enough money to go to college.

The next 4 years were spent earning a CIS degree at a nearby state university (again not MIT but a degree is a degree).

Am now BACK at Intel, doing what i did before i went to school. Only now im studying on the side in hopes of moving towards a Penetration Testing postion. Currently reading several books (subjects: Security+ -=probably not going for the cert anytime soon tho=- ; Honeynet; BSD Administration; Exploitation).

Not exactly sure what else/ where else to go from here tho.

2. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

The IT industry is getting pretty saturated, I just finished college for primarily networking, and there are NO job's in my city (200k people), so I'm moving to a city of about 1 million people. Experience seems to be more of an asset than education right now. I don't even really know what I'm going to do. Might go back to school to be a lawyer. :dunno: If you like what you're doing then I'd say keep up with it.

3. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

Hence my curiosity. I too noticed the saturation. Whereas i went to school out of genuine interest and desire to further my knowledge (didnt really care about career just liked what i was learning), i noticed the majority of my classmates were talking about how they joined the major cuz of all the money they knew they could make. How they hated writing code, and hated computers and technology in general but it was worth it for the pay.

Its because of this saturation that im hoping some successful paths appear so we can all learn from them. If it turns out to be all luck and social networking, i might pull an adrian lamo and just go transient with my laptop heh.