SRS Career Frustration

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dreammachine, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Dreammachine

Dreammachine The face is everything

I recently graduated from college, the college system is a little different then the states. Not really sure how it works there. Anyways I received a 3 year diploma for advertising and communications media.

I've been looking for a job for two months now and i am starting to get really frustrated and down on my self for not being to find a job.

I think i am qualified for the jobs i apply for since i am pretty sure my resume is pretty cool.

But just the other week. i finally found a job that i think i was qualified for and could do really well in. I tried to organize my resume for the position and think i did a pretty good job.

But when it came time for the interview i wanted it so much i got really nervous stumble on words blanked in a few key questions and i was pretty embaressed and beat my self up for the rest of the day. telling myself what i could've done. sufice to say i was pretty upset.

now after that interview i feel like i'll never be able to find a job i think there is no hope for me out there with the qualifications i have. The whole situation is starting to make me really depressed and stressed out. I don't know what to do anymore.:hs:

2. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Don't know what to do? Suck it up and go out and do more. Do it to the point where you've done interviews so much you feel confident in who you are and what you say.

2 months and a few interviews here and there is just scratching the surface.

I know this is possible because 8 years ago when I had interviewed for the job I currently have, I went in with the attitude that I didn't care what the result was...I believed I was the best they could hire at the time and they'd be stupid not to take me. I was not arrogant, but I had done so many interviews and had been turned away so many times I had developed really thick skin.

Sure enough, almost all the interviews I had during that period came back wanting to hire me. Confidence is everything. You don't have it? You practice it till you do.

3. Exactly what I was about to say, you need to practice your interviewing skills.

I know it sounds lame, but find a friend or relative to "practice interviewing" with. You will see how much more confident you are when talking about yourself or answering questions about yourself. Then once you get to the real interview its much easier because you've done it already, so naturally you will be much more confident in what you say, and more importantly, you will BELIEVE what you say, and that confidence will come across to the interviewer.

Don't despair, its only 1 of the 10s or possibly 100s of interview you will have in your lifetime, you can improve your skills quickly.

4. Dreammachine

Good, feed back guys.

But i can't help not feel discouraged. Espically where there are days where there are just no jobs i am qualified for in the job market.

5. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Of course. We've all been there. It can take months. At some point you either have to either lower your standards for now to take any job you can find...or remain resilient and keep going to interviews till the right one comes around.

6. Dreammachine

So basically just keep trying? Hopefully things will get better this whole experiance is new and i will have to develop thick skin like you mentioned.

It's hard not to be discouraged with the pressure of everything else, father Debt etc.

7. ItchyDog

ItchyDog Guest

Same here, graduated in IT (MIS) and been out of work for almost a year now... I apply to liek 10 jobs a day and go tointerviews now and then but it doesnt seem to work. Have a temporary (BS) job, but would like to build up my resume a bit. :)

8. Dreammachine

hey, thanks for the input, it's nice to know that there are other out there that have the same problems..

i might have to do that in the mean time if things get really tight.

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Keep your hopes up high.

I myself lost and got countless of jobs. Its a mine-field, and there's a pattern on how to get from a to b finish line in that mine-field. What happend to me was that i stopped caring about wether i would lose my job or not, you see the economy is the most fluctuating thing there is companies appear/dissapear like mushrooms from the ground , and i noticed that the work itself is not important either (ya you gotta fast and good and be serious about what you do but) it appears that your loving and helping intereaction is the most important asset. You can only do your work if people like you. Collegue's don't primairly really care on how hard you work, but on how you treat them.

So, when you do an interview, you just say what your boss wants to hear, and at work you just do your work good and fast, that's all your boss cares about. Personal drama's , your resume its not even that important.

Whats important is your personal approuch so no e-mails,phonecalls,don't use the internet to find a job, just goto your local job agency and ask them for help. Whatever company you goto, go personally make a chat with the person , show them who you are and think (you have more reason to be scared of me then me of you) just say whatever they want to hear, be positive,motivated and keep smiling.

And sometimes (you can even hear it in the tone (which goes down when they speak)) mumble mumble (boss says) but maby this that will be a problem.

And you will have to be like a ray of positive sunshine, saying oh that 's a minor thing, it can be easily solved and that's no problem. Really life (including getting jobs) is like playing a violin ,and trying to get nice tones out of it, no one wants to hear bad tones at any given time. So keep playing a beautifull song.

10. Dreammachine

Great, reply. I was thinking of just enterting some places around the area and handing off my resume, but i am qualified for a few positions should i hand in all the resume's i am qualified for or just hone in on one position?

11. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

What you do is this, you have an interview with the person(future boss?) and give him the resume after you had the talk. That way he can re-examine your position. And think back about your conversation in a positive way. Its all about being (known) , just like you wouldn't eat candy from a junkie, you would eat it if it was given by your mother (more likely) so its a case of trust, and knowing what lies in your hand. You don't want to be mr.unknown nr xxx on that big pile of resume's of other people that no one looks at. You want something personal, you personally want that job and your initiative to goto the company yourself and have a chat is far more convincing then any piece of paper.

12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk OT Supporter

DreamMachine,

I went to a community college also. I was actually 2 courses short of graduation (long story) but decided to leave when the rest of my class graduated. It was tough finding a job so I just decided to work at this collection agency that was a pretty easy job to get. It was hourly though I worked full time hours. I hooked up with an employment agency and got the call the a computer distributor was hiring. Now, I had called, emailed, and dropped off my resume in person at this computer distributor BUT managed to get the same job through this agency.
    I started off making $30K CDN a year. With a lot of luck just after three years I was earning $100K.

The point of the story is that remember it's your FIRST job not your last so expect something entry-level. You can advance once you get in. Experience counts for a lot more than education (depending on your career path of course) when it comes to sales and marketing so don't be surprised if you are getting beaten but guys with more experience.
    If you're only relying on job sites like Monster be aware that employers typically get 300 plus resumes from those job postings. These include guys who are not qualified to over qualified. So when you're competing with all these guys you need to stand out. Without experience it'll be difficult for you. So get in touch with employment agencies and let them know that you are young, energetic, and looking for a start. You should also look on manufacturer websites for job postings as well as MANY companies do not post on job sites.

Hope that helps.

13. Dreammachine

that was pretty great advice, how do you find employment agencies? i don't really know where else to look other then just looking on workopolis and monster or even the canadian job bank. any help with that would be great to know.

14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk OT Supporter

Well, for starters you can find agencies on Monster. Many agencies post job listings for their clients. Always go and visit that agencies home page to read more about them. There will even be agencies that are focused on your industry that you are interested in.

Anyways, here are some of the agency sites that I visit:
    http://ca.hudsonresourcing.com/node.asp?KWD=pagenotfound
    http://www.chaseconsultants.com/
    http://www.stoakley.com/jframe.html
    http://www.rostie.com/jobs/Job_search_page_jgm-1.asp
    http://www.multec.ca/index1.html
    http://www.st-amour.com/toronto/ourservices.htm

These are a good place to start for sales jobs so they may or may not apply to you.

When you call an agency and meet with them they will basically interview you to figure out what kind of job you are looking for so they can help you find the best fit. Use that as a good opportunity to get tips from them on your resume and interviewing techniques as well.
    But don't just rely on those guys as they have thousands of candidates and unless something comes across their desk that fits you perfectly you may not hear from them.
    Remember, put yourself in the agencies shoes. Their business is dependant on getting their clients quality employees. So unless your experience and education fits that job to a T it may not be in their best interest to present you.

15. Dreammachine

Thanks alot dr. funk you prolly just made my day. it gave me some more hope in finding jobs. In the job market hopefully my luck will change and i can start a career.

16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk OT Supporter

Anytime. You're actually in a much better position than most people. There are many entry-level jobs out there. Once you start looking at the bigger salary jobs they become far and few inbetween.

Just get some good experience and don't blow all the money you make on your car :mamoru: