MIL Career Change to AF/Navy Officer

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fox800, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Fox800

Fox800 Fear Boner OT Supporter

I'm 22 and have a business degree, considering going the military officer route, particularly AF or Navy. I'm getting bored with my job and I'd like a change.

1. Can you guarantee a job as an officer? I've been told no but I haven't heard it from a reputable source.

2. I'm interested in something related to intelligence or aviation, but not flying (don't want to sign a ten year commitment and I have shitty eyesight). Can you guys offer any feedback on these different jobs as far as which ones are interesting/have decent job satisfaction?

I know these are pretty newbie questions but it's Saturday so I obviously can't go over to the recruiting office and pick their brains.

2. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Navy officers are split into SWO, Supply, & Medical for the most part. If you go supply route you will always be working in supply, same as medical (they are part of separate "corps" of the Navy). SWO is surface warfare officer. That is the generic route for officers. From within there you can end up specializing even further to like Information Warfare (which now encompasses Intelligence), Electronic Warfare, etc. Your first couple of tours will probably be not what you want to do. They are division officer tours, you'll be stuck as the officer head of a division of anywhere from 5 to a few dozen people. This could be engineering, aviation, operations, combat systems, etc. At that point in your career you get to choose what route you want to take. If you end up wanting to be the commanding officer of a ship one day you usually go hit up a shore station where you get some schooling, and then back out to sea as a department head, then shore, then back out as a divo on a big deck, then shore, then DH on a big deck, then shore, then XO, then CO. Shore spots for officers are a lot of times schools such as navy war college or stuff like that.

I'm not sure if you can get a guarantee when signing up for saying Information Warefare Officer.

3. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

if you go the ots route in the AF you will know what job you have been selected for before you are required to sign any paper work. Will you be selected for the exact job you want, you have a 33% chance considering you have to give the selection board 3 choices. How hard is it to get into the AF through OTS very, if you want a non-flying job you should hope your GPA is above 3.5, you have a lot of good managment experience, volunteer work, and good AFOQT scores...then once your selcted expecte to wait 5-8 months before you are given an OTS class date, the process from starting with the recruiter to leaving is usually around 12 months.

4. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

JMX...i thought the GPA req was 3.5 for aviation, 2.0 for anything else.

5. Fox800

So basically...

Navy = guarantee your job
    AF = guaranteed one of your three picks

Time to go talk to a recruiter.

6. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Another thing...

Navy = you're going on a ship

If you don't think you can do that, then maybe look at the AF more.

7. Bounty15

Bounty15 OT Supporter

NOTHING is guaranteed in the military. If you get it in your contract, great, but that's only IF you can get it in your contract. Just because they have a job field or position doesn't mean it will be available for you to get it in your contract in the first place. It all depends on big Navy/Army/AF needs at the time of your enlisting/commision..

8. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

no 3.5 is not an aviation req., its 2.5 for both if under you need a waiver which will factor in your AFOQT....im just saying if you have under 3.5 you can apply but your chances of getting selected are slim

9. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

Your thinking enlisted officer is diffrent. If you go to OTS as a pilot select or finance select....you are going to pilot school or finance school, no if's and or buts.

10. Bounty15

Bounty15 OT Supporter

Unless you fail out...

And that's exactly what I said, if you get that arranged, great. However, you still have to meet the requirements to get those slots. If they don't need pilots or finance officers at the time, you won't be able to get that gauranteed to you if you are dead set on entering the military right now.

11. Abomb

Abomb New Member

does this work similarly with the marines or not at all?

12. Fox800

I have an appointment with the Navy officer recruiter on Thursday.

I went to the AF office, the officer recruiter was gone but I filled out an info form for them to contact me. This was over a week ago, no call. I called them up on the phone today, lady Sgt. took my # and name, said she'd call back in 30 minutes. Never called. I'm a little pissed @ the AF right now.

13. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I will tell you a lot of recruiters play the how much does he want it game with officer wanna-be's, you need to be persistant and bug them a lot of times. Also now that their arent really dedicated officer recruiters they are now enlisted/officer recruiters most dont have a lot of experience with officer recruiting, I have heard they also dont get credit for officer selects and its a ton more time for an officer recruit...it sucks and I'm glad I got in before they did away with dedicated officer recruiters.

14. Fox800

The Navy officer recruiter (Lt.) was very straightforward and up-front.

The AF recruiters are being jackoffs.

15. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

if you fail out of OTS you go home. Yes if you fail out of your tech school they will 99% of the time put you in another job which you probably wont get to choose but you can also choose to leave the AF instead of getting another job

16. Fox800

Finally got a call back from the AF Sgt. She's pushing the ABM track. I'm hoping for OSI or Intel.

17. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

she is pushing ABM becasue it has consistantly been the easiest way to get in. OSI.....I wouldnt get my hopes up, they do most of their recruiting from people who are already in, unless you have a good masters degree. Intel is also a long shot....but most non-tech jobs are

18. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

Go Navy. Either way you go, just remember, the best officers are the ones that LISTEN to their enlisted men.

19. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

OCS BABY!!!