SRS career advice anyone?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by unorthadox, Dec 7, 2008.

1. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

hi guys,

a bit of a different help thread, in that i do not have girl issues at the moment.
    instead i have a bit of a career/life problem.

lowdown:
    i graduated with an honors bba in business, concentration accounting from a good school. didn't do coop, so i dont have any job contacts per se and most of my summer jobs were with friends of friends at places i wouldn't consider starting a career with.

went back for a term to get complete courses so that i can obtain my CA or a similar accounting designation. i've been trying to find work for Jan 1 in accounting but most firms hire a year in advance (which i didn't know until this year!) so i am likely out of the running for a spot with an established firm until september of next year at the earliest.

here are my options:
    i could go back to school, take some more courses and bump up the marks of classes i didnt do so well in. i will most likely be taking at least one course next year as im fairly certain i failed advanced taxation. this would work well as my girlfriend is still in school and most of my friends will be around too. however, it is costly and i would have to justify the costs by being certain i can find a job at the end of it in order to pay off the costs.

i could be done with school (aside from that one course) and apply to a bunch of campus jobs while i search for accounting jobs. this would be ok, but might not look good on the resume or improve my marks. it would give the cash i need to pay off some debts though.

i could pursue a career in another field, as i was thinking of interning at a sports team in their business department. i could achieve an accounting designation by doing this as long as my job position relates to the CMA requirements. i would still have to work part time somewhere to get the funds i need but this could look good on my resume and i could still do the class at night while working during the day.

i could pursue a job in a bank and not even worry about accounting.

what are your thoughts? has anyone ever been in a similar situation? what was your decision and what would you have done differently?
    thank you for any advice!

2. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

In my (expert) opinion, I'd go back to school. It will be tough with the current job market to find a new position, but you know how much easier it'll be with the extra time spent in school. I'd also try and finish around the same time as friends, it would be nice getting into companies together with them and if not, you could always start something new with them.

But yea, I don't know shit about the post college world, so I'm just talking out of my ass.

3. teep

teep New Member

going back to school will only delay the inevitable. if you're not going back for a specific grad program for a specific future, I would advise against it. Although it would be fun and comfortable, education costs are just way too fucking high.

The job market is tough right now, but with an accounting degree you'll be able to find something. If you're worried about your grades, you probably won't be starting at Morgan Stanley or anything like that, but I'm sure you can find decent work if you stick it out long enough. After getting a few years of experience under your belt grades pretty much become arbitrary anyway.

Where are you looking for jobs? Would you relocate?

4. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

yeah i've been looking at my hometown and also the surrounding area near toronto. its true the costs are extremely high, but i look at it like an investment of sorts.

anyways thanks for the responses i will weight those in my decision process.