MMA Care to discuss UFN 7?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by GreatDeceiver, Oct 11, 2006.

1. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Here are my thoughts on what I just saw.

First, I think Matt has a ton of work ahead of him despite his stellar wrestling. I mean, his standup is ugly and though Seth was pretty cut up for most of the fight, I don't think Matt did much to him overall, he just took him down and chilled in his guard. I dunno, I just expected more out of him considering how everyone says what a sponge he is. A sub attempt or something...I guess I just hate to watch pure wrestlers fight :dunno:.

And how about MacDonald? I was really impressed, he was so technical and constantly working and looking for subs on the ground complete with some excellent reversals. Herman, I dunno, he worked hard during the fight but for all his talk and the constant guarantees he never impresses me. I'm really looking forward to seeing MacDonald in the future though, what a nice debut.

As for Grove and Tito, both wins went pretty much exactly as I expected and it's funny to see how both Kendall and Matt have adopted Tito's fighting techniques so eagerly. It worked though...

Overall it was an ok night, I'd have liked to see Rory and Nate's fights. Oh well it was free...

2. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

was it me or did that cut on Hamil look nasty, but it wasent really bleeding.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I picked Matt, but I was pulling for Seth in the fight. Matt looked ugly. I was yelling at the tv for Seth to jab then throw an overhand right! He would have knocked Hamill out!

I picked Ed to win, but man I haven't been that glad to pick wrong in a while. I liked watching him get submitted. Good show by MacDonald.

4. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Match Winner Loser Method Round Time
    1 Marcus Davis Forrest Petz Submission (Guillotine choke) 1 4:58
    2 Thiago Alves John Alessio Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00
    3 Rory Singer Josh Haynes Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00
    4 Tony DeSouza Dustin Hazelett Submission (Kimura) 1 3:59
    5 Nathan Marquardt Crafton Wallace Submission (Rear Naked Choke) 2 1:14
    6 Matt Hamill Seth Petruzelli Decision (Unanimous) 3 5:00
    7 Jason MacDonald Ed Herman Submission (Triangle Choke) 1 2:43
    8 Kendall Grove Chris Price Submission (Strikes) 1 3:59
    9 Tito Ortiz Ken Shamrock TKO (Strikes) 1 2:23

5. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Marcus Davis won by sub and Rory Singer beat Josh Haynes?

Did not see that coming.

6. Kuet

Kuet New Member

a pretty dissapointing card.... at least it was free....
    I really dont see hamill as anything special YET.... he looked slow,sloppy and his standup is horrendous ( must remind myself he has only been training mma for what 11 months ? ) ....
    it was nice to see mcdonald triangle choke ed ... very impressed with him...
    grove loked to be imporoved, but i hate that gravedigger crap ... hate it whenn tito does it, cant see myself liking it done by anyone else.... reminds me too much of some stupid WWF show....
    As for the " final conflict" , it went exactly as EVERYONE and their dogs figured it would go ... tito by GNP/TKO strikes, in the guard of ken , in the 1st..... i think ken should have retired after rich beat him , he looks so sad and pathetic out there.... i still wanted him to win...

As for the rest of the card.... pretty pissed they didnt show the nate fight.... and the thiago fight too.... but glad to hear nate won .... when the hell is the ufc gonna wake up and get nate some good competiton? i think he should fight someone like swick or leben .... the diesel ... just so all the new fans know who he is.....people need to start giving him more credit.

CANT WAIT FOR SATURDAY !!!

7. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

macdonald's triangle was sexy as hell.. i hope he doesnt fizzle..

and im glad desouza won, but i wish they showed his fight. beard crew 4ever!!!

8. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

u declined my myspace friendship :hs:. i was simon says...

9. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Saw 3 fights so far, ed herman's, tito's, and kendall's. Impressed with macdonald, he looked so slick on the ground I wanna see him fight mike swick or someone who is top 10. Tito looked strong as ever, and Shamrock looked horrendous on the ground... Kendall's fight was decent, but his opponent wasn't someone who tested him.

10. chechen

ok request again

11. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

i dont know the link anymore. it was on one of the myspace threads a few days ago.

12. chechen

13. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

friend requested :o

14. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Ken won't win like that either. Tito did well in abu dhabi, and as a wrestler in college. Ken's grappling is no where near as good.

15. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Stop bitching it was FREE :ugh:

16. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I picked Rory. :x:

17. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

My thoughts... Not a bad show for FREE... I was pissed that for a 2 hour show, we only got to see about 20-25 minutes of fights... I wish they could have showed some of the under-card matches instead of all the "fluff"...

That Macdonald guy was very impressive. I'm not a bjj expert, but man did he look slick on the ground. Pretty good series of reversals between the 2. I really don't like Ed Herman's attitude, so I'm glad he got embarressed. I also found it kind classless that he didn't acknowlege his opponent in the post fight interview but blamed his loss soley on him fighting a "sh*ty fight"... I thought he just got beat by a better fighter...

Matt Hamil wasn't as impressive as I was expecting. He had awesome wrestling and even managed to gain the upper hand on the ground immediately after getting "rocked"... He didn't seem to do much with his take downs though (other than some good G&P in round 1). It seemed to me that Seth should have been a little more careful when standing to not get taken down... It seemed to me that he threw quite a few lazy kicks that ended up him on his back...

Kendall looked good. I like his attitude and hope he does well in the UFC. I'm looking forward to seeing how he'll fair against a tougher opponent. The whole grave digging thing looked kinda silly for him to do, but I suppose it was just a dedication to his trainer.

The Tito/Ken fight went pretty much the way everyone expected. At least I didn't have to drop $40 on it this time. I think Tito has grown up just a little (other than the whole flipping off thing). Instead of talking TONS of crap on Liddell, he told it like it was. Liddell is "the man" and he is looking forward to fighting him... I'm starting to like Tito...

Like I said, not a great night of fights, but not bad for something to watch for FREE on a boring Tuesday evening...

18. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Ken needs to fight Chuck Zito.

He looked old and slow out there. But the post fight stuff was pretty cool.

Ed Herman isn't as good as he is billed. And MacDonald was impressive. That was a good fight.

Kendall looked good, but his opponent looked like a sparring partner. I'd like to see him against some better competition.

Matt Hamil still has a long way to go, IMO. He didn't look at all comfortable standing, and once he was in Seth's guard, he didn't seem to busy. Looked like he was content to lay on him and tap him in the face every now and then. 205 isn't the weight class to be that lackluster in.

19. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'll pick Tito over Chuck too. Atleast i will for the Pick'em... I think he'll win it.

20. strykers

strykers Antimember

The point is, you usually have to pay to watch UFC events. There was only 30 minutes of content because the fights ended early. Is this too hard to understand?

21. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

There were other fights they could have shown instead of spending so much time lolly-gagging between matches... For ppv's, they get the meat of card finished during the alotted time... then, if there is time remaining, they show prelim fights from earlier in the night. I don't see why this same formula wouldn't work for tv... They had SEVERAL fights last night that weren't televised to choose from...

22. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Why do you have to act like such an asshole??

I think I'm perfectly justified in wanting more than 30 mins of content in a 2 hour time block. 3 out of 4 fights went WAY short, so it would have been nice for them to slip in an extra fight or 2... They still could have worked in PLENTY of commercials to cover their costs and make a profit.

And when was the last time 5 MILLION people bought a UFC ppv. That would make $200 million just off ppv sales... WOW. Dana is really banking...

23. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

You're just a typical mma snob loser... Other than assholes like you, this is a pretty interesting forum with a lot of great information on the sport I have become a BIG fan of over the last 2 years or so... I have watched A LOT of mma on ppv, dvd, online, tv, and live events... Instead of using my experience to make myself feel superior to those who are newer fans and ridicule them because they know less, I try to educate them on things like... What PRIDE is... Not to boo as soon as the fight goes to the ground... smaller fighters can also be fun to watch... yadda yadda yadda...

I would also like you to educate me as to what a REAL mma fan is since I obviously am not one... I've watched LOTS of PRIDE & UFC... A little K1... a little WFA... Been to some local amateur events... appreciate a good ground battle as much as a standing war.... Think TUF is "ok" as far as reality tv goes, but far from great... I don't spend every waking hour researching MMA and watching fights like you do because I have a life and other interests... but does this make me a TUF fan as opposed to a REAL fan??

It is idiots like you who are bad for this sport...

24. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

I still can't believe people are actually bitching for seeing free fights.... :ugh:

I don't think you guys will ever be satisfied.

25. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

this post as always is brought to you by Hennessy Cognac, pure character