MIL Care Bitches: Going from Reserve to Active in a different MOS ??

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by EYOB, Dec 15, 2008.

1. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Reading these MARADMINS (USMC Tech Directives) sucks balls. And it's hard to know who to talk to about this.

I'm currently a 6048 (Flight Equip Tech) in the SMCR (Reserves), going to the IRR (non drilling Reserve) on the 29th of this month.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2008
  2. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

holy acronyms. All I got was IRR

3. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Read some more shit online:

Lateral moves are normally reserved for first term Marines, although career Marines are occasionally approved for lateral move if their request fits the needs of the Marine Corps. Factors such as boatspace availability, and MOS staffing strength are taken into account when considering a lateral move request. As a general rule, only first term Marines in a closed MOS (MOS which have no boatspaces remaining) are approved to lateral move into open MOSs (MOSs which still have boatspaces remaining). To find out more details on lateral move qualifications, see your Career Planner.

OK, so my MOS is understaffed, meaning they won't let me leave it. The only way to leave it is to go to the IRR and come back in. It will be difficult to come back in, especially since recruiters don't get credit for reenlisting prior service Marines.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2008
  4. Jbeanz

Jbeanz OT Supporter

<--AD 6048 .. Anyway why do you care what job you have if your going IRR ?

5. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't care about it much right now. I'll go into the IRR, and then figure it out from there.

6. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

This is why I avoid most every thread with an Army acronym in the title.:ugh:

7. EYOB

EYOB Guest

just submitted my info on the prior service site and left a voice message at the nearest station, which is on my reserve base.

8. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

:rofl:

you actually need to go and meat him. Say I want to go on active duty if I get "X" job and then walk away if he can't help you

9. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Yeah, I plan on doing so. I have to make up 2 days of drill. And I have to turn in my 782 gear. So, I still have to go back, even though I've finished drilling.

The hardest part for me is figuring out what MOS I wanna join since there are so fucking many, what MOS's are available for me, for how long, what duty station, where/when they will deploy, etc. I'm hoping he has some of this info. Well, at least what jobs are available for me.

I'm checking out this site now: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm

I'm not sure if I should even bother with an MOS that requires Security Clearance. Although Ethiopia (my parents) is not considered hostile to America, I'd doubt they'd give me security clearance. I was looking at the 26 or 06 field.

10. thekinggovernor

how can you still have drills to make up if you have checked out?

11. EYOB

EYOB Guest

They won't let me go until I complete those drills, or at least, that's what I was told. That and I have to return my gear. And I haven't actually checked out.

12. thekinggovernor

EAS is EAS, you just won't get a SAT year. But they will go after you for the gear if you don't turn it in