Cardio while bulking?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mperor, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mperor

Mperor Banned

A few of my buddies at the gym have started giving me greif because I usually do 20 minutes of cardio on the stairmaster each day of my 5 day after lifting. They tell me that I'm burning energy that should be used for bulking, though I do it mostly to keep my heart in shape and because I feel great afterwards.

Are they right? Should I nix cardio if I am trying to put on more muscle? Would I be better off just doing something like jumprope in between sets to keep my heart rate up?

2. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

Not really that big of a deal but if you are worried, cut it down to 2-3 times a week or just eat some more to compensate for it

3. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

I would keep the cardio, it doesn't matter how big you are if you are dead.

4. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

:hsugh:

5. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

It may be different for you since you're doinng it post-workout but since I cut the cardio out of my routine I've had alot more energy for lifting. :dunno:. I would do it on an off day, but I'm having a hard time reaching calorie goals as it is, so I'd rather not burn em.. :hs:

6. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

well you are both right. you are burning calories that could be used for building muscle, but at the same time, some cardio is always good for conditioning and general health purposes.

So just don't overdue it, and make sure your food intake is enough to make up for the extra calories you are burning.

7. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i would limit the amount of cardio you are doing to probably 2-3 times per a week max if you are bulking. also if you are doing alot of other physical activities, such as sports (basketball or whatever) i would cut back your stair stepping as well. You really want a calorie surplus and you have to make sure that you're not burning that surplus with cardio.

also for those times that you do cardio I would make sure to either do them on a non-lifting day or at least 8 hours before or after you lift and not right after lifting. you should really just take your after-workout shake and rest after lifting.

8. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

cardio helps increase appetite, helps metabolism, protein uptake etc, i would do 20 minutes a day when you train. It helps with blood flow, pumps, all sorts of shit. Course thats just mine an a few thousand other BB'ers opinion. There might be some medical journal or internet guru who has something to add

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.